sheaallan
Sciguy

Does Evil and suffering prove that there is no God?

sheaallan has forfeited round #3.

sheaallan

Pro

If God is all knowing, all loving and all powerful then surely he wouldn't want to hurt us and he would know how to stop things like natural disasters?
Augustine of Hippo said that evil exists only as an absence of good. since evil has no positive reality of it's own, it can't be caused to exist therefore God cannot be held responsible, this is a view that may associate evil as an absence of God...
Sciguy

Con

Acceptance

First I would like to start off this debate by thanking my opponent; may we refrain from our personal descrepancys and have an inteligent and well thought debate. It is with that I humbaly accept your challenge.

Original Sin

"If God is all knowing, all loving and all powerful then surely he wouldn't want to hurt us and he would know how to stop things like natural disasters?"

God is all knowing, all loving and all powerful, however, it was when Adam and Eve disavowed him by eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil- according to Genesis 3- that they objectively caused Humanity to turn its back on God.

Protastant beliefs show that after the transgressions between Adam, Eve and Satan, God then cursedthe snake, Adam, Eve and even the earth itself, in what is called "original sin."

It is not that God does not know how to stop natural disasters but, rather, he can't for it is those exact disasters that we've seemed to be caused by sin. He cannot interfere because of it. It is because of their sin that we are being punnished and can only be brought from the sin through the salvation of Christ.

http://www.religioustolerance.org...;

sheaallan

Pro

" After the transgressions between Adam, Eve and Satan, God then cursed the snake"

You make a very good point but wasn't it God who created Satan? ( As an angel) and aren't we told that God created us in his own image? Then how do we explain the fact that Satan rebelled against God and convinced Eve to eat the fruit off the tree?
if God created Satan, and Satan persuaded the first sin to occur then surely the sin was part of God's plan.

Or we can believe that there is no God and say that things like Natural Disasters have Nature to blame. After all, volcanoes are thought to have played an important role in the emergence of life.

Thank you for the nice debate :)
Sciguy

Con

Digretion

"Or we can believe that there is no God..."

To appropriatly debate this subject you must justify the existence of an entity that, to my understanding, you do not believe in.

Though I digress, listen carefully. Should anyone live in New-York City you will notice there is an abundance of Pidgeons in the City, however, you never see a baby Pidgeon. Does that mean that their existence is unlikely; that they just appear? No, you know that there is validity to the claim that there are baby pidgeons by presenting evidence to infer and confirm their existence.

Now, you may say that I've just proven there to be no God; I disagree. I would argue that there is validity applicable to the Bible when asked to give evidence towards his existence. Though the Bible was written by individual men years after the events took place, all of their accounts are similar.

In journalism, the most accountable sources are first person testimonies because they were there and they saw what happened.

Rebuttal

"You make a very good point but wasn't it God who created Satan? ( As an angel) and aren't we told that God created us in his own image? Then how do we explain the fact that Satan rebelled against God and convinced Eve to eat the fruit off the tree?"

Though God did create us in his own image, he bestowed uppon us the gift of freewill. It was that gift that acted as a conduit of negligence and consequences that compelled Adam and Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. It was not God's intention to cause the first sin.

"...volcanoes are thought to have played an important role in the emergence of life."

The Bible says that God had also created life.

http://www.vatican.va...

Posted by Huron0 5 months ago
Huron0
No, it just proves that God is evil...or dead/imprisoned, or doesn't care (which would make him evil)... or not all-powerful...or doesn't exist. The ones I think are most plausible is that God is evil or that he's imprisoned (more likely) or dead (don't think thats possible) somehow. If anything humans could be God trapped in a flesh suit prison.
Posted by Fatbstrd 6 months ago
Fatbstrd
"Who was it that spoke, And it came to be! Has יהוה not commanded it? Do not the evils and the good Come out of the mouth of the Most High? What? Should mankind complain, A living man, because of his sins?"
R37;R37;LamentationsR36; R37;3:37-39R36; R37;ISR98R36;R36;

""I am יהוה, and there is none else " there is no Elohim besides Me. I gird you, though you have not known Me, so that they know from the rising of the sun to its setting that there is none but Me. I am יהוה, and there is none else, forming light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil. I, יהוה, do all these.""
R37;R37;IsaiahR36; R37;45:5-7R36; R37;ISR98R36;R36;

"Though the inhabitants of Maroth waited for good, yet evil came down from יהוה to the gate of Yerushalayim."
R37;R37;MicahR36; R37;1:12R36; R37;ISR98R36;R36;

"If a ram"s horn is blown in a city, do the people not tremble? If there is calamity in a city, shall not יהוה have done it? For the Master יהוה does no matter unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets."
R37;R37;AmosR36; R37;3:6-7R36; R37;ISR98R36;R36;

""יהוה of hosts, Him you shall set apart. Let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread."
R37;R37;IsaiahR36; R37;8:13R36; R37;ISR98R36;R36;

""And at that time it shall be, that I search Yerushalayim with lamps and punish the men who are settled on their dregs, who say in their heart, "יהוה does no good, nor does He evil.""
R37;R37;ZephaniahR36; R37;1:12R36; R37;ISR98R36;R36;

""It could be that the house of YehuL95;ah hears of all the evil which I plan to bring upon them, so that each one turns back from his evil way, and I shall par
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 6 months ago
Just-Call-Me-PK
Angels and humans both have free will and both are tested. God does not interfere with free will and if it is the will of a human or an angel to make a decision that does not match that of the will of God then it is directly against truth/good, hence evil.