Naajpowell
IslamAhmadiyya

Does Evolution and Religion Contradict Eachother?

IslamAhmadiyya

Naajpowell

Pro

Yes evolution is very true and the evidence is overwhelming. if you want to be taken seriously in a debate you have to ask a better question than just what if it is false and that you believe we where created from intelligent design. With no evidence to support your thesis it is thwarted by demand for facts and evidence. The evolution theory and common sense in conjunction disproves god in the process.
IslamAhmadiyya

Con

With all due respect, where did it EVER say that Evolution and religion contradict each other?

Now I'm beggin' ya, you better come up with a logical explanation for this 'so called' debate.

Evolution is a theory, religion is a set of beliefs, you can have BOTH too, y'know.

As a matter of fact, I am a Muslim, and the religion of Islam supports the theory of Evolution, according to my sect's viewpoint, some other sects may deny it. Also, in regards to Christianity, again, same deal. I know a Christian teacher that accepts Evolution, there are sects that accept Evolution, and sects that do not.

In reality, Evolution is true, and it does not contradict with TRUE religious beliefs, only religious PEOPLE are misunderstood, and they do not represent the truth. Let the scripture be the representative of what is true.

So Pro, you say that Evolution and religion contradict each other...I say you worded the title improperly, Evolution does not contradict with religion, as Evolution is a theory, and a religion is a set of beliefs. You can have both.

Also, to go a little into detail of my sect's understandings of Evolution, God was the mastermind behind it, He was the one that created this universe, along with the Earth, and evolved His creation in stages, everything that He created, He evolved, including mankind.

Peace.
Naajpowell

Pro

Yes evolution is very true and the evidence is overwhelming.

if you want to be taken seriously in a debate you have to ask a better question than just what if it is false and that you believe we where created from intelligent design.

With no evidence to support your thesis it is thwarted by demand for facts and evidence. The evolution theory and common sense in conjunction disproves god in the process.

Know with that being said I will take this time to thank you for accepting the debate con. Know you say they don't contradict because evolution is a theory and religion is a belief.

Know scientists have proven that evolution was the result of many hundreds of thousands of natural selection. Know I don't know how old it says the earth is in the Quran but in the bible it says the earth is 5000 years old.... That leaves NO room for evolution.

You are saying you can believe both?? you are obviously foolish in "BELIEVING" a book but not believing anything it actually says. So yes they do contradict each other; and if you say that oh god created evolution excuse you really haven't any facts on your side.

We know that evolution is true, know if we just accept that god did it; and that there is nothing else to be learned. We would have the answers already with no room for scientific development, but no, we need facts in order to believe some NOT just believing something blindly accepting it to be true AND untrue.

OBVIOUSLY a contradiction, where in the Quran or the bible does it say that god created evolution? Where in the Quran does it say Allah taught a Chimp descendant to speak in his name. Your book says that at the day of creation man was able to speak Allah when he was molded out of mud. Know tell me how can a chimp speak to god?
IslamAhmadiyya

Con

For those who do not yet know, I accept the theory of Evolution, yes it is true, but I also am religious.

--

Your title of this debate was "Does Evolution and Religion contradict each other?"

The word contradict means: Deny the truth of (a statement), esp. by asserting the opposite.

Out of the thousands of various religions in this world, you are putting all of them in the same pool, and stating that all of these religions contradict with the theory of Evolution. You cannot do that, because some religions may accept Evolution, and some may deny. According to my religion, Islam, which is based off the Qur'an, it clearly accepts Evolution, but we also believe in a Creator of this universe, and we believe that this Creator was responsible for Evolution, it is reasonable and easy to understand.

1) You said: "Know I don't know how old it says the earth is in the Quran but in the bible it says the earth is 5000 years old.... That leaves NO room for evolution."

This shows your ignorance. You think that religion = Christianity. So you are trying to prove your debate "Does religion contradict with Evolution" by only showing examples from Christianity? Did you know that Christianity is not the only religion?

No offense, but I see this is the problem with many Atheists, they judge every religion by simply looking at Christianity and its flaws.

Anyway, again, I will refute your allegation by a verse from the Qur'an.

"And, verily, We created the heavens
and the Earth and all that is between
them in six periods and no weariness
touched Us."
[Qur'an 50:39]

Note the part - 6 periods. This word 'period' can mean stages, phases, duration, time span, generations, etc.

Evolution means: The change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive GENERATIONS.

Going back to the verse in the Qur'an, God clearly states that He created the Heavens (outer space), and the Earth in 6 specific periods and that only He knows how time distributes it. Earth is mentioned within that verse, and when He talks about Earth, He literally means Earth and everything ON Earth, including biological populations (His creation).

He evolved His own creation, (the Heavens and the Earth), and at the end He states that God did not become tired after He did all of that.

Another fun fact, in Islam, God has 99 attributes, and one of these attributes is, "The Evolver" when translated from Arabic to English. Now what do you think THAT means?

---

2) You said: You are saying you can believe both?? you are obviously foolish in "BELIEVING" a book but not believing anything it actually says."

Yes I AM saying you can believe both, especially if the BOOK supports the theory of Evolution. You can cut the crap about us believing in a 'book', because we have our own proofs that these books were from God, and not written by men, but that is a whole 'nother debate.

And no, if you study some religions properly, they do NOT contradict with Evolution. We believe that God was behind Evolution, and that is a fully understandable and justifiable argument, because God is simply the Creator of this universe, this universe was created, it was brought into existence, and it was intelligently designed, so there has to be a creator, it is logic. And this Creator has simply evolved what He has created...it isn't hard.

I would like to say though, that you are close minded enough to think religion = Christianity. Throwing in flaws of Christianity isn't going to help your debate, you said if religion contradicts with Evolution, and I have ALREADY proven to you in depth that it doesn't, because there's THOUSANDS of religions on the face of this planet, and you cannot be dumb enough to think that every single one of these religions deny Evolution.

I already gave you proof that Islam doesn't, so you already are wrong here.

I gave you links on my first reply, why don't you take a look at that for a start? And I'll bring some more Islamic sources that accept Evolution as well.

See the videos:

If you had a good look at the videos, you can see how Evolution and God can mix, and also how Islam and the Qur'an accept Evolution.

But this debate isn't about Islam, it is about RELIGION and Evolution, and I already proved you wrong, because you simply believe that religion = Christianity.

So in reality, Pro, maybe you should straighten your own facts, thanks.

-----

RECAP:

Does religion contradict with Evolution?

NO, because there are thousands of religions in this world, and many accept Evolution, and many may not. I gave examples from my own religion, Islam, to prove it wrong.

Another note to add, the Pro thinks that Christianity represents all religions, and just because a number of Christians accept the Earth was well around 5k-6k years old, this isn't the case with all Christians, let alone all religious folks.

As simple as it is, religion does not contradict with Evolution, because there are different types of religions, the Pro needs to specify which religion he is referring to that denies the theory of Evolution, aaaand, he didn't do that. Too late now.

Cheers.
Naajpowell

Pro

Why do I have to repeat myself?? You run behind what other people have said about this issue to represent your side of this debate which is a weak strategy. Come on all you really have to do is use common sense. What do I mean by this? All you have to do is think, was their really a god looking down at earth and decided to make humans out of natural selection. Whatever religion you believe in whether it be Islam, Christianity, etc. it isn't compatible with the fact that a invisible spiritual force magically made man over time which is what you believe in as the con.

Even when you say that some religions accept evolution that still doesn't refute the fact that they contradict each other. Because the evolution theory wasn't known until the 19th century before then, your religion specifically believed that Allah created man out of mud and molded with his hands, now all of a sudden you just say well god did evolution, well if you can't beat them join them. So saying the Karan is interpreting evolution is just you escaping the fact that magical forces can't be cohesive with facts and evidence. Now this mind set that you can believe in a magical power and still believe in logic IS ARROGANT thinking you can stand on both sides of the debate so please keep your spiritual nonsense from YouTube to yourself.

NOW I REPEAT...

Just because your belief is worded differently doesn't make it more or less incompatible as ANY other religion like Christianity which says that the earth and man is 5000 years old which is obviously false. So is believing man was made out of mud and that man was a little bit older than we thought(with no specific date) and no references to evolution or natural selection so without these facts you just run with this idea that the Quran interprets evolution, just because evolution is a little more open to the idea of evolution than Christianity or any other religion doesn't mean Allah did his magic with Muhammad and mud and made a fully formed homo sapiens.

So the fact that you accept any spiritual god or deity doesn't stand up well with the fact that science runs of evidence and experimental studies where religion just runs on faith and invisible powers. It is also funny that your bias attitude is obviously influencing you to blindly agree with magic and factual evidence that was developed for years and then putting gods name on it like he did it when really scientist found it,NOT god.

http://youtu.be...

This belief in religion is destructive to say the least.
IslamAhmadiyya

Con

Being busy in real life, and I am about to go somewhere again, I have a limited amount of time to post another full argument, (or refutation for that matter), I'll keep this short and simple.

Just because we believe God was behind Evolution doesn't mean there's nothing else to be learned.

We believe the Creator created everything in this universe, and then evolved it, some He evolved more than others. But even though we believe He created everything, we still have learned a lot about what He has created, and in our belief, this knowledge about His creation only comes from HIM.

Science is basically the study of God's creation, and we use science to benefit ourselves and mankind and this planet. This is the purpose of knowledge, this is why God has given us a brain, He says so in my Holy Book, The Qur'an, as well.

You are going too much into this, it is not that difficult to understand.

Religion does not contradict Evolution.

In our belief, Evolution is a PART of creation, or the concept of Creationism, many religious folks however, do not understand that, and also many Atheists, do not understand that.

Within both groups, there are faults and misunderstandings.

But if you look at the whole picture together, there is no contradiction, just misunderstandings of the other side, and of our own ignorance, our lack of knowledge.

I humbly ask you to go over what I previously stated, learn about our view, you don't have to accept it, maybe you can come to a fine conclusion.

I rest my case.

Salam
Peace.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
This question poses that there is a connection between science and religion, really there is not.
Religion deals with the human mind, aesthetics and magical realms.
Science avoids magic or theological concepts, because magic cannot exist in science.

The only science that is attacking religious beliefs is Neurology, because now we have a pretty good idea of how the human brain conjured the concept of God in the first place and how the mutations that gave us the ability of complex language to pass on abstract, irrational concepts like Religion helped make humans delusional.
Yes, soon the brain will become an open book and we can find the pages that god was created on.
Posted by IslamAhmadiyya 4 years ago
IslamAhmadiyya
Good debate, was fun. Maybe we can have another next time.

Peace.
Posted by Naajpowell 4 years ago
Naajpowell
If you read my argument you would agree regardless of the wording or how the question was asked. If you just stop and read carefully you can clearly see my point of view which is stronger than his.
Posted by Naajpowell 4 years ago
Naajpowell
Posted by leonardlewis4 4 years ago
leonardlewis4
Yo, Pro... Your burden of proof was not met. You did not provide sufficient warrant for your position that "Evolution and Religion contradict each other". Surely you understand the law of non-contradiction???

First, even if we all agreed on what flavor of Evolution you intended (which no one ever did), you would additionally have to show how that particular flavor of Evolution contradicts Religion in general. As long as there is at least one Religion that has beliefs consistent with a particular flavor of evolution, then there is no contradiction.

Con merely needed to show that there is at least one Religion that has beliefs consistent with ANY flavor of evolution. He did so.
Posted by Naajpowell 4 years ago
Naajpowell
if I am pompous than he is ignorant.
Posted by Naajpowell 4 years ago
Naajpowell
this guy isn't giving anything to disprove my question.... he has no substance?!
Posted by BrandonButterworth 4 years ago
BrandonButterworth
Ahhh, pompous evolutionists, my favorite.
Posted by Jegory 4 years ago
Jegory
And how does evolution disprove God?
Posted by Mikal 4 years ago
Mikal
I would reword this. I was going to take it just because of the wording of the debate and I am an atheist. Someone will quickly capitalize on it.

For something to be true, it needs to be a law not commonly accepted. Example: ice floats. This is true, because we can physically see this and prove it without having to do a test or experiment, and if one were done would prove the same results.

It is still "the theory of evolution". Meaning that we can only assume it is true because of the multiple facts that support it. You are bearing the BOP, so you must show that it is law. No draw assumption it is true but actually show that it is not false.

Someone will exploit this, just giving you a heads up
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 4 years ago
NiqashMotawadi3
NaajpowellIslamAhmadiyyaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't meet his BoP. Whereas, Con gave examples of how Islam and evolution can be compatible. Pro also focused on Abrahamic religions. He didn't explain why an atheistic religion would be incompatible with evolution, when his argument is that evolution is incompatible with religion as a whole. Arguments go for Con. Both debaters had a bad conduct from the start of the debate. I won't award the conduct point to any of them.