tarquinogilvie
TheSaiyanKirby

Does God Exist?

tarquinogilvie

Con

God does not Exist:
What is God: In all religions, philosophies and concepts God is described as the following: An all knowing, good and powerful being that created everything for us and loves us.

God of the Gaps: In the past we have used God to explain the un-explainable. For example, why do parents look like their children? The handiwork of God of course! Then we discovered Genetics. The more science progresses the more God becomes unnecessary. Theists put God into a category of the in explainable as a somewhat lazy argument.

God loves you: God is always described as loving and caring for each and every one of us. Then when we add up all the ways the cosmos can kill us; Tectonic Plate movement, Volcanoes, Tsunamis, Diseases, Viruses, Prions, Bacteria, Fungal Infections, Black Holes and Meteor Showers. Either God isn't all Good or he doesn't love us, as he is described thus that God not existing

Is your God infinite?: If no. Then your God is finite thus he must have been created himself so he couldn't create everything in existence for something must have existed before him. If he is infinite then he does not correspond the way of the cosmos. The cosmos is everything we know to exist, so if God doesn't comply with existence then he cannot exist. Nothing can be infinite. Thus if there is no space or time before existence nothing has the opportunity to exist. Therefore, God doesn't exist.
TheSaiyanKirby

Pro

You didn't specify which God you mean so I'll be looking at this from a Christian perspective, as that's what I'm used to.
Your first argument: Saying God doesn't exist just because he's an answer is about as valid an argument as saying that things happen because of God. Just because science explains things doesn't mean God can't exist.

God loves you: Your parents, at some point, probably got you a car, correct?
OH NO, WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? YOU COULD DIE OR GET HURT! THEY MUST HATE YOU. God loves us and therefore wants us to have free will. Otherwise, what's the point? We might as well just be little action figures he's controlling. A life of free will is a gift. We could live in a world with no danger with God just pulling our strings along, but that wouldn't be life, would it?

Finally, is God infinite? If there is no infinitely existing God, there must be an infinitely existing Universe. Matter has to come from somewhere if there can be no "supernatural" force involved, so your own argument contradicts itself. If something had to have created God, an infinitely powerful being, certainly the same principle must apply to the original matter of the universe. If anything, your argument supports a God. An omnipotent being existing eternally makes far more sense than the universe having no origin whatsoever.

New argument: Historical data. In later arguments I can quote multiple examples of biblical events not only matching historical records, but also historical records of non-christian origins supporting biblical events. For now, I'll just say that the bible is, in all actuality, a historical depiction of events. If you choose not to believe it, you might as well not believe anything your history book recants either. Why do you believe Washington crossed the Delaware? Because some guys wrote it in their journals. These same guys also reported seeing little green men running around the woods. You only choose not to believe biblical events because they exist outside of your realm of possibility, which is exactly what many people around the globe said when they heard about the holocaust, and unfortunately what many people still say about the holocaust. And yet for some reason, you accept the Diary of Anne Frank as fact. Your brain just said "wow, that's a ridiculous comparison." It seems ridiculous because you've created this world in which one is possible and the other isn't. It's as ignorant as it is arrogant.
tarquinogilvie

Con

tarquinogilvie forfeited this round.
TheSaiyanKirby

Pro

TheSaiyanKirby forfeited this round.
tarquinogilvie

Con

Thank you for your feed back.
Before I begin my rebuttal I would like to state that your second last rebuttal is flawed. The universe can have an origin without God and that is quantum mechanics. In quantum mechanics particles popping in and out of existence are equivalent to nothing. At planck length (10-35 meters) the amount of energy put into a particle is enough to create a universe if Heisenbergs uncertainty principle takes place.
Historical Data: I have no doubt that the bible has matches to historical events, however the Bible itself is flawed. For it is part history and part Zodiac. I would first like to say that almost all religion is a metaphor of the zodiac. Let me use an example:
Horus the Egyptian Sun God:
Born on December the 25th
Born of a Virgin
Star in the East
3 Kings
12 Desciples
He was known as "Son of God" or "Lamb of God"
Crucified
Dead for 3 days
Resurrected
These can also be seen in other Gods such as: Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra and in best case Jesus.
This relates to the Zodiac for on December 24th Siruis (the star in the East) aligns with Orions belt (The 3 Kings) and constellation points to the sun rise on December the 25th. The Sun has always been associated with "The Son of God". The stars seemingly "follow the Sun" As the winter solstice approaches the days get shorter and shorter thus death to the harvest. Seemingly "death of the Sun". At December the 22nd the Sun reaches it's lowest point and stays there for three days before it rises on December the 25th. The sun also lays under the Souther cross (Crux) before it rises. Thus the Sun/Son died on a cross for three days only to be restructured.
The 12 disciples refer to the other 12 symbols of the zodiac which follow the centre (The Sun). The number 12 is constantly repeated in the bible (12 tribes of Isreal, 12 Sons of Jacob, 12 Judges of Isreal, 12 King of Isreal). These 12 "follow the sun". There is also a cross in the zodiac. In all early adaptations of Art Jesus is shown with his head by this "Cross" thus him being associated with the Zodiac sun.
The similarities are immense. To me this means the bible is a compilation of History and Metaphors.

New Arguement: In many cases Atheism has been associated with High IQ. Stephan Hawking has the highest IQ on Earth and is an Atheist. It seems strange how the smartest people on Earth with what would be the highest consciousness don't believe in God. In my opinion God is a concept designed to dumb down the masses to keep them under control. The concept of hell and Gods decision are all good ideas to keep people simple minded and obedient. I also find it interesting how most Atheists show their children the facts and evidence and then let them choose their beliefs, yet most Christians tell the children from a young age: God loves you, pray to God etc. This means the majority of Atheists may be more moral than Christians. This is not to be stereotypical however the numbers don't lie. What is stereotypical is your opinion on my opinion of Anne Frank, Washington and the Bible. I am actually somewhat neutral to those events as I have not studied them in depth. So please I cannot entirely prove that God doesn't exist. However the odds seem to be against it. And I am not the only one with these ideologies. Take it up with: Stephan Hawking, Bill Bye, Neil deGrasse Tyson or Michio Kaku.
TheSaiyanKirby

Pro

TheSaiyanKirby forfeited this round.
tarquinogilvie

Con

tarquinogilvie forfeited this round.
TheSaiyanKirby

Pro

TheSaiyanKirby forfeited this round.
tarquinogilvie

Con

tarquinogilvie forfeited this round.
TheSaiyanKirby

Pro

TheSaiyanKirby forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Welcome to the site. Be aware, the resolution you've selected gets debated to death, and as such may be difficult to get legitimate votes for.

I strongly suggest adding definitions to your opening round. You also might find a trick or two to borrow from the template I designed: https://docs.google.com...