Vishva
Katerina-Vinther

Does God Exist?

Vishva

Pro

If God so desired, He could simply appear and prove to the whole world that He exists. But if He did that, there would be no need for faith. "Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed'" (John 20:29).
This quote from the Bible touches on the fact that faith is vital in believing that God exists. Scientific evidence also proves that there must be some higher power that controls everything. Take the example of the Earth. It's position from the Sun is perfect to sustain life. Even a slight adjust in its distance from the Sun would make it either too hot or too cold for life on Earth. Furthermore, how is it possible for living organisms to begin from virtually nothing? In Hinduism it is believed that there is no beginning of God, and there will be no end of him. It is incredibly hard to get our minds around that, but think about it. The Universe started with the Big Bang, but what started that. There is a beginning to everything, except for God. God exists and I challenge anybody to try and disprove my statement.
Katerina-Vinther

Con

I dont think god could exist. And your argument about earths placement, is not substantial. There are many other planets in this universe that hasn't been placed the same way. We are just lucky that this planet is. That doesn't mean that god placed us here. That is not proof of gods existence.
Think about this.
The only time people on earth have seen "god" is in a time where we were uneducated and still believed in witches. The only time there has been miracles, like the sea rising, is in the same time. When humanity started to question god, he disappered.
Vishva

Pro

Firstly, I would like to point out the fact that you began the round with "I dont think god could exist." Yes, this debate is based on opinion, but it MUST be backed up by fact. I request that you check your spelling before submitting your paragraph, as it proves that you don't really take debating seriously. When you tried to disprove my statement on Earth's placement, you said that it is not proof of God's existence. I don't see you providing any facts in your whole arguments. Now for some REAL FACTS. NDE's also known as near death experiences are proof that God DOES exist.

"Once a self-described "double atheist" and "know-it all college professor," Howard Storm was leading a three-week European art tour with his students when he retired to his hotel room in France on the last day of the trip. Without warning, he suddenly screamed and dropped to the floor, prompting his wife to call for help. At the hospital, the news was grim: Howard had a perforated stomach that required surgery, and if he didn"t get it soon, he would die. The wait for a doctor to arrive at the hospital was lengthy"so much so, that Howard turned to his wife at one point and said his final farewell to her, insisting that he was moments from death. That"s when he recalled finding himself standing next to his own body (which was still on the hospital bed) and feeling more alive than ever, with no more stomach pain. Soon after, he heard unfamiliar voices calling to him."Come with us," they said. "Hurry up, let"s go. We"ve been waiting for you." After calling out to his wife and getting no response, he began to follow the voices, which led him out of the room and down a long, dark hallway. He followed them for so long, and became so increasingly terrified, that he told the voices he wasn"t going any further. Then they attacked him."We had a big fight and the fight turned into them annihilating me, which they did slowly and with much relish," he says. "Mostly they were biting and tearing at me. This went on for a long time. They did other things to humiliate and violate me which I don"t talk about." Collapsed on the ground, Howard began reciting The Lord"s Prayer, after hearing a soft voice tell him to "Pray to God." After saying a few other other prayers, he said that Jesus personally saved him from the demons, and sent him back to Earth, telling him to live his life differently. Storm"s book, My Descent Into Death, was published in 2000." - Listverse.com

"During a kayaking trip in 1999, Dr. Mary Neal became pinned under the water when her kayak capsized, making it impossible for her to breathe for anywhere between 15 and 25 minutes. That"s when she says she experienced a near-death experience that brought her into the presence of God, Jesus, and angels. During the experience, God told her that her family would be facing an upcoming tragedy and would need her to help them through. Specifically, her nine-year-old son Willie was going to die"but she wasn"t told when, where, or how. Ten years later, at age 19, Willie was killed in a car accident in Maine by a driver who was on his cell phone.Mary is convinced Jesus helped her under the water, making it possible for rescue workers to revive her following the kayaking accident. She awoke with two broken legs and lung complications, and spent a month in the hospital, followed by six weeks in a wheelchair. She wrote a book called, To Heaven And Back, which was published in May 2012." - Listverse.com

You may try to disprove this by pointing out the fact that these people may simply be lying, but you don't simply come back to life after having no oxygen for 15-25 minutes without divine intervention.
Katerina-Vinther

Con

Katerina-Vinther forfeited this round.
Vishva

Pro

Vishva forfeited this round.
Katerina-Vinther

Con

Katerina-Vinther forfeited this round.
Vishva

Pro

Vishva forfeited this round.
Katerina-Vinther

Con

Katerina-Vinther forfeited this round.
Vishva

Pro

Vishva forfeited this round.
Katerina-Vinther

Con

Katerina-Vinther forfeited this round.
Posted by Burncastle 1 year ago
Burncastle
Jethro, thats an argument from ignorance fallacy. Propositions do not stand as true until they are disproved...
Posted by mittsm5646 1 year ago
mittsm5646
If God were to show up, we would all die just like Lot's wife who turned into a pillar of salt
Posted by jethro_purazo 1 year ago
jethro_purazo
God DOES exist. I have a point of view about "Who created the WORLD if God doesn't exist?" Is there any more stories about creation? I think none. Only the "Story of Creation" is the only story about creation of the WHOLE world.
Posted by Burncastle 1 year ago
Burncastle
"The Universe started with the Big Bang, but what started that. There is a beginning to everything, except for God."

Have you ever heard of special pleading? Look it up.
Posted by catholicprofessor 1 year ago
catholicprofessor
God Is Not Dead
Posted by Alpacthulhu 1 year ago
Alpacthulhu
@Pro ~ The 'perfect conditions' argument is flawed. If the Earth's distance from the sun were any different, then life would not exist and we would not be here to observe it. More or less, our planet must be positioned at this point in space.

Now to the 'God is forever so checkmate atheists' argument I've heard numerous times before, if God can exist forever, why can nothing else have existed forever?

'God is forever' is an assumption without base. You can't just state that without any reasonable base for it. (Don't say 'because the Bible said so'; the Bible itself can be given a massive amount of doubt).