Tomas154c
Soldiercide

Does God Exist?

Tomas154c

Con

I think that there is really no evidence to support the existence of God, I this case I'm talking about the Christian God. There aren't any arguments that I have heard that give me any reason to believe in God. I am an agnostic but I am beginning to lean over towards atheism because I think that there are something in science that contradict what is to be believed in the bible. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I see no reason no to be an atheist.
Soldiercide

Pro

While there is no scientific evidence that any specific diety exists, there is enough anecdotal and circumstantial evidence to support the conclusion that early humanity interacted with something they called "God". As logical human beings we can understand that what we know of early religions is based entirely on the understanding of humans who had no grasp of concepts we take for granted today: physics, biology, and so on. Their lack of understanding makes it fairly easy for us to become distractes by the often sensational stories they left us: burning bushes, talking snakes, and so on.

In order to have a conversation about God, we have to break everything down to it's most basic form. We need to cast aside the notion that humans barely this side of stone age had any idea what they were dealing with. This allows us to do away with the rhetorical arguments about the earth bring formed in 7 days, immaculate conception, and women being made from rib bones. What we want to know, really, is how likely is it that God exists?

We can look at math to provide us with the statistical probability of life forming on each without intervention, and we'd be waiting a really long time. We aren't simply having to factor in variables that existed on this planet at the moment life spouted into existence, but variables that go back to the formation of the planet, and before that. Needless to say, we aren't capable of calculating the probabilty, because we can't account for all of the variables. What we do know is that variables on earth had to exist in a very specific manner, and had to interact in a very specific way for life to exist. In other words, it is statistically improbable that life occurred spontaneously on this planet.
Tomas154c

Con

In our universe, which can possibly be one of trillions of other universes according to the multiverse theory, there are AT LEAST 100 billion galaxies. In each of theses galaxies there is are an average of about 3-4 billion stars and each star hosts an average of about 4 or 5 planets. I don't think it is necessary to do the math to prove my point that among all the planets in all the galaxies in our observable Universe, it is quite possible that one or even multiple planets have the conditions to obtain life. It is also plausible that different forms of life can develop in different conditions on different planets. These different life forms would be very different and possibly much simpler. But regardless it would sure defeat your argument.
Also it isn't just coincidental that life formed and developed on a planet suitable to obtain life. If it wasn't suitable for life then it simply wouldn't have produced life. This is know as the Anthropic Principle. The reason life developed on a planet so finely tuned for life is because on any other planet in different conditions, life couldn't develop. Life simply developed on planet earth because its conditions allowed for it.
Soldiercide

Pro

That life could exist on other planets does not prove absolutely that it does. Of course, I will have to concede that at least one other species exists, as mentioned throughout the bible. We refer to them as Angels, but they are in fact another form of life, whatever they might be. That life exists elsewhere does not mean that said life occurred spontaneously:

"Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground..."(Genesis 2:7, NIV)

When you break this verse down to it's most basic parts, what you have is a description of God creating a human man from something found on the earth. We know that life didn't spawn from "dust", but from a combination of RNA and proteins. We understand that some inorganic process caused these molecules to bond together, but how that occurred is still a subject of debate. One theory posited that conditions on the earth itself synthesized the nucleotides necessary for life, which has since hit a wall as theories surrounding conditions on early earth have changed. We believe that abiotic synthesis occurred, but what triggered that synthesis is unknowable. That we acknowledge life could exist in abundance in the universe, and that we as humans can synthesize the components of RNA lends to the theory that life could have been designed. The issue then with creation in a biblical context is semantics. Science supports the conclusion of abiotic synthesis(modern abiogenesis), which one could argue is what God attempted to explain to humanity. Of course, we understand that our understanding of any concept hinges on our background knowledge on respective subject matter. So what I believe we have with this verse, and Genesis as a whole, is humanity's understanding of concepts expressed by God they couldn't possibly understand.
Tomas154c

Con

Show me the evidence that Angels exist other than the Bible because as you read on I don't find the Bible as a reliable source of evidence. I am not proposing that life occurred spontaneously. But from what your bible verse says, it sounds like God created man pretty spontaneously: "Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being". God must have "breathed into his nostrils" pretty gradually I guess. Also your verse does not acquiesce with Evolution, the scientific fact of how all life on Earth can be traced back to one common ancestor. This ancestor of course wasn't a human, but something much simpler form of life like a single cell organism. Humans didn't evolve until over 3.5 billion years after life on Earth began. According to the Bible the universe as well as planet Earth was created around 6 thousand years ago, but scientists can calculate the age of the earth to be around 4 billion years old. With this I would conclude that from what we know to be true about the Earths early history from scientific evidence proves the Bible to be an inaccurate source of Earths early history, including Angels.
How can you possibly believe something from a 2,000 year old book rather scientific evidence, which completely contradicts it?
Soldiercide

Pro

As I stated previously, taking the bible literally is a mistake. The story of creation is humanity's attempt to reconcile processes it has no background information upon which to garner any understanding of. We know that evolution is a natural process, and it is how existing plant and animal life came to be. What the creation story tells is how God engineered life, that the story focuses on humanity is a product of ego. What God, in my opinion, is attempting to explain is abiotic synthesis, that God set life on this planet in motion. When viewed from a scientific perspective, the story of creation actually expresses modern scientific theory. Given that we can replicate part of this synthesis in a lab, how far fetched is it to assert that life on this planet was a product of similar engineering at the least, if not guided evolution?
Posted by Tomas154c 1 year ago
Tomas154c
This is the single most important topic of debate anyone can really ever ask. People who beleive in God use this is as an explanation for the creation of everything in the universe and our fate after death. Not to mention it has also caused many wars throughout history and lasting hostility between different religious groups and nations worldwide. It is also extremely controversial because their is an astonishing lack evidence to support it. As an atheist, it is very important to me to state my position on the matter because I believe religion destroys beauty of reality and scientific reasoning. I understand I most likely won't change anybodies minds on the matter I just enjoy debating. So I'm sorry if I offended or annoyed you but it is a very important topic and this is a debate website after all.
Posted by RushingSlasher 1 year ago
RushingSlasher
Everyday there is a is god real? Does god Exist? No one can prove god is real. No one can prove god isn't real. If you believe in god? Fine! If you don't believe in god? Fine! You can be whatever you want. You can praise your god, you can say he isn't real. The fact is both sides don't know what god is real or not. You can give me evidence that god is real and it won't prove a thing. You can sit there and tell me god isn't real, it won't change a thing. If you believe in god go pray. If you don't, don't go around saying god isn't real.