Ariesx
Thiest_1998

Does God Exist

Thiest_1998

Ariesx

Con

Round 1-Acceptance, Round 2-Cases, Round 3-Rebuttals, Round 4-Defense
Thiest_1998

Pro

I will be defending the existence of God.

Also thank you Ariesx for challenging me I wish him luck and since he is the instigator I will let him make the first point.
Ariesx

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I will be proving why God does not exist. I lay outlines for my arguments in order to make contentions easier to understand.

Contention 1-No Empirical Evidence
There is no empirical evidence that proves God's existence. The only evidence that has been laid out is by the people in the Bible which have already asserted biases.
1. There are no existing pictures of God.
2. People claim in the Bible that they hear God's voice which can be classified as a mental disorder.
3. The Jesus Christ Argument.

1. What makes God so hard to believe is that there are no pictures of him. He has existed for a long time, and has made appearances to people from time to time again. This is the era where digital cameras exist. If God wanted his rules and commandments followed; he could just make it easier and appear to everybody proclaiming that he existed. He never does this. As of now, there is no photographic evidence of his existence.
2. There are a lot of people that claim that they have heard God's voice. Abraham who was extremely old claimed that he heard God's voice. Also, the sub-plot in the Abraham myth is that he was extremely old, and God gave him the ability to reproduce. God also blessed Abraham's lineage. If Abraham existed today, he would have been thrown into a hospital for people who hallucinate.
3. The Jesus Christ Argument usually will claim that Jesus Christ existed, therefore God existed. Many people claim that he is son of God. Those same people will claim that Jesus is God. I have 3 questions for my opponent to answer in the next round.
1. Why does Jesus pray to himself?http://biblehub.com...
2. Why does Jesus call God the Father even though he is the father?
3. The Holy Spirit was supposed to be created out of the Father and Son's love for each other. The Holy Spirit also existed before the Father and Son even loved each other?

Contention 2-Silly Myths
The Bible and The Quran are full of silly stories. These silly stories furthermore prove that God does not exist.
1. Creation
2. Noah's ark
3. Sodom and Gomorrah
1. Creation is the childish story on the idea that God created the world in 7 days. It says it in the Bible. I believe that 7 days has actually turned into 6 thousand years. Correct me if I am wrong. Either way, Scientists already have proved that the world was not created in 6 thousand years. The world took billions of years to be formed. It took over 10 billion years for the Earth to solidly form, and the Earth also had to go through many eras before we could even have an environment capable of producing human life. If my opponent wants to say that this was a metaphor, than he has to explain why God was being so cryptic. He has to give the burden of proof explaining why God was not clear in his explanation for how the earth was created.
2. Noah's ark is empirically and physically irrational. The idea that Noah built an Ark that could survive a flood that would destroy all human life on earth. The idea that Noah put animals of each kind on the Ark is impossible. The story also proves that God is willing to kill a majority of human life even though he loves everybody. I could compare him to the famous dictators in the 20th century according to this myth.
3. Sodom and Gomorrah is an explanation for why God hates gays. Two Angels visit a place for shelter. A guest lets them stay, but rude gay people start knocking on the door, because they wanted to rape those two angels. The Angel tells them to get outside of the town, because God didn't like the gay people there. They leave. First of all, there is no evidence by any historians that this ever happened, and proves that God has human prejudices.

Contention 3-Heaven and Hell
The central theme that all Christians, Jews, and Muslims love is that there is an afterlife. Heaven is for the good, and Hell is for the bad. There are many problems with this mentality.
1. Heaven alienates other religions that believe they themselves are right.
2. Criminals do not deserve Hell.
1. If one is born into a religion; it is almost certain that the certain individual will stay in that religion and not convert. There are examples of people converting to other religions, but is usually unlikely. I would like my opponent to look at these figures which are just unbearable from a human perspective:
If you are Christian, than 4.5 billion people will burn in Hell.
If you are Muslim, than 5 billion people will burn in Hell.
If you are secular, than 0 people will burn in Hell.
Are you saying that the God that loves us all will send a majority of his children to Hell. My opponent might claim that it is there fault for not converting. What If it is your fault that you did not convert to Islam? What if it is your fault you did not convert to Judaism? What if it is your fault for not converting to Hinduism? The Gods of those religions will blame you. It is not your fault if Christianity was engrained in your brain from birth. Empirical evidence shows that not many people will leave there faiths.
2. I am a determinist. I believe that factors, environment, circumstances, and DNA will have a significant impact on the way you will behave as an adult. There are many cases in America and around the world where there are criminals. Criminals that are impoverished. Criminals that have horrible father figures. Criminals that have the genetics of another criminal in their family. Criminals that do not have the same educational opportunities as us. I believe that if every criminal was given the right factors, the right environment, the right circumstances, and right DNA would prosper. But, they usually do not have those benefits. God will send them to Hell most definitely just because they had the wrong environment and circumstances. http://econlog.econlib.org...

Contention 4-Many religions
There are many religions in the world. If God exists, it is only due to probability that you will be born into the right one. It was only probability that made my opponent born into a Christian family. If my opponent was born into Islam with an Islamic environment, father figures, and Islamic education, than he would have most likely stayed in Islam. There are so many religions that think they have the right answer. How many religions are there that make up the world in the status quo? 19:
Christianity
Islam
Hinduism
Chinese Traditional Religion
Buddhism
African Traditional Religions(Many religions in Africa that are extremely similar)
Skims
Spiritism
Judaism
Bahail
Jainism
Shinto
Cao Dai
Zoroastrianism
Tenrykio
Neo-Paganism
Unitarian-Universalism
Rastafarniasm
You must have extraordinary luck to be born in the right religion.
Thiest_1998

Pro

Thiest_1998 forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Con

Ariesx forfeited this round.
Thiest_1998

Pro

just like my opponent did.
Report this Comment
Posted by Thiest_1998 4 days ago
Thiest_1998 Sorry about missing the argument I will try and reply to him in the comments

Yes I agree it is impossible to physically prove Gods existence but it's also Impossible to disprove his existence, it's a little bit like gravity you know it's there but you can't prove it's existence.

1. Just because you don't have pictures of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist pictures for example the laws of the universe pictures doesn't prove existence email
e.g you could have documents and information about someone lived 500 year's ago but no pictures that doesn't disprove thier existence on the earth.

I don't think God would have to appear to anyone I think that it only takes common sense to believe in God how did we get here if there is no God?

2.I don't know how you want me to answer that you didn't even ask me any questions.

1.I don't believe Jesus Christ is God.
Jesus isn't God he is the son of God he isn't praying to himself
2.Again Jesus isn't God.
3.Where are you getting this information, where in the Bible does it say that.

Creation has never been a myth nothing happens by itself if it is a myth then how did we get here show me something that happens today that happens without a cause.

Noah's Ark if you want pictures of that go on Google and search Noah's Ark Mt ararat it's in Turkey Btw.

The earth is approximately 6,000 year's old and where is your proof that the earth is millions of years old.

If you read why God did it maybe you would change your thoughts.
God doesn't hate people he hates certain actions.

You need to do some research Hell is for those who reject the gospel and heaven is for those who accept it.
You started rambling on then you started putting words in my mouth in contention 3 I'm not being rude but what tf are you going on about.
Ariesx

Con

Ariesx forfeited this round.
Thiest_1998

Pro

Ariesx would you like to redo this debate?
Posted by Jonan4tor 6 months ago
Jonan4tor
wow,i often see my friends debate other friends,and my friends are kinda high up in the debate world. wow.
Posted by Spassky101 7 months ago
Spassky101
Mikit02, the argument that i hate the most is how come there are still apes? That is the stupidest argument in the world. It is called natural selection.
Posted by ssadi 7 months ago
ssadi
@jglass841

Arguments of this form assume that since something has not been proven false, it is therefore true.
Conversely, such an argument may assume that since something has not been proven true, it is therefore false. (This is a special case of a false dilemma since it assumes that all propositions must either be known to be true or known to be false.) As Davis writes, "Lack of proof is not proof." (p.59)

"A fundamental principle of logic is that when one makes an assertion it is their sole responsibility to prove that the assertion is true. Whoever is hearing the proposition has no logical burden whatsoever.

Arguments of this form assume that since something has not been proven false, it is therefore true. Conversely, such an argument may assume that since something has not been proven true, it is therefore false. (This is a special case of a false dilemma since it assumes that all propositions must either be known to be true or known to be false.) As Davis writes, "Lack of proof is not proof." (p.59)

A fundamental principle of logic is that when one makes an assertion it is their sole responsibility to prove that the assertion is true. Whoever is hearing the proposition has no logical burden whatsoever."

http://www.foothill.edu...

If by atheism you mean the ideology that claims that God doesn't exist, then it is not the default position.. Lack of proof for something is not proof of its opposite..

When both negative and positive claims on a subject are possible, then claiming either requires proof and none is the default position.

For example, do aliens exist? They may or may not exist.. "Aliens don't exist because we don't have any evidence" is not the default position. The point is that what reasons do we have to believe something is true or false. The default position is saying that "We don't know whether God exists or not".
Posted by jglass841 7 months ago
jglass841
@Mikit
Evolution does not state that humans evolved from monkeys. Learn about what you are arguing first.
Posted by jglass841 7 months ago
jglass841
No, actually. The one making a positive claim must support it. Therefore, atheism should be the default position.
If i said to you, "I am an alien, on this website", I must prove that to be true. I cannot simply say' "Prove that I'm not." It is a positive claim, and must be supported. The same goes for the existence of god. Atheism should be the default position, until a religion is proven.
Posted by ssadi 7 months ago
ssadi
@jglass841

I do agree that the one making a claim has to support it, but regardless of the claim being negative or positive..

If one claims that God exists, then he has to support it. Similarly, if one claims that God doesn't exist, then he, too, has to support it.
Posted by jglass841 7 months ago
jglass841
God's existence does not need to be disproved, the one making a positive claim has to support it. If you cannot prove that God exists, you fail at supporting your argument.
Posted by Ariesx 7 months ago
Ariesx
If I cannot get to this debate on time, I will publish my argument in the comments just like my opponent did.
Posted by Thiest_1998 8 months ago
Thiest_1998
Sorry about missing the argument I will try and reply to him in the comments

1.I don't believe Jesus Christ is God.
2.Again Jesus isn't God.

Posted by mikit02 8 months ago
mikit02
Jglass847 please know all about God before arguing against him and if monkeys evolved into humans they still would be today you can't just state monkeys only evolved once into humans and than stopped. It's theoretically impossible, if monkeys ever evolved into humans they still would be today. And if you say "scientists say so" guess what?!?! They also say hunny bees can't fly, why? Because there wings aren't technically big enough to carry their body wait, and we all know that's BS because we have all seen hunny bees flying around.
Vote Placed by ssadi 7 months ago
ssadi
AriesxThiest_1998Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 2 out of 4 rounds while Pro forfeited 1 round. Since Con forfeited more rounds than Pro and since they forfeited half of the total rounds, then conduct goes to Pro.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 7 months ago
dsjpk5
AriesxThiest_1998Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff more times, so conduct to Pro