C_e_e
lannan13

Does God Exist?

Challenge Expired or Declined
lannan13 either declined this challenge, or never responded to it. If you are C_e_e, login to see your options.
Updated: 4 months ago Status: Challenge Declined

C_e_e

Con

For a word to be added to the dictionary, its primary intentional reference has to be found by the editors. An intentional reference is simply what is intended to be referred to when people use a term; it is a more descriptive way to say the definition for a word. If I were in another country where I didn't know the language very well, and I heard an unfamiliar term, I would want for the dictionaries in that language to explain what is intended to be summarized by that word. Extension is the quality of a word actually referencing that which is intended. But, extension is not required for a word to be added to a dictionary. For example, we know what the word "alien" means. Whether the word has extension by actually referencing that which is intended -- a being native to another planet, we do not know, at this time in history, whether the word has extension.

During this debate, I will be using the term "God." Though, I will not exhaustively say "alleged" before each use, it is implied. For, I merely say, as dictionaries do, that people intend to reference an assumed creator of the universe with the term "God." My opponent, by contrast, as a believer, implies furthermore that the word has extension.

This round of debate is for acceptance of the debate and definitions. Round 2 is for initial arguments from both sides. Rounds 3 and 4 are open to rebuttals, new arguments, and clarifications. Round 5 should not have any new arguments presented in it, because it is the final round. But, clarifications and rebuttals should extend to it.

The debate settings have been set to allow for the maximum characters of 10,000. But, if 10,000 characters are limiting to thorough replies, it is permitted that a link to a publicly readable Google document is submitted instead.

Definitions:
God - the presently existing intelligence behind reality; or, mind that grounds reality
Exist - to have objective reality or being
Posted by C_e_e 5 months ago
C_e_e
I would like to be able to vote on debates. Since this, my third debate, has not been completed yet, I cannot gain the ability to vote, until it is.
Posted by lannan13 5 months ago
lannan13
Rebump this, my computer broke and I had to fix it. Can start on Monday.
Posted by lannan13 6 months ago
lannan13
I hate to keep pushing this back, but I will be gone for 5 days at the end of this week, so I will start post Christmas.
Posted by Zaephou 8 months ago
Zaephou
The previous debate I was mentioning was this - http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Zaephou 8 months ago
Zaephou
One question to PRO, I have seen you partake in this debate a few times, and you have presented more or less the same arguments, even when an opponent successfully made you forfeit by refuting your logic. An example of this monistic idealism and the KCA. Why have you not altered these argument whatsoever?
Posted by lannan13 8 months ago
lannan13
I still don't understand why the text ran like that.
Posted by C_e_e 8 months ago
C_e_e
The debate structure is freeing. That is, there are not stipulations such as "only this in this round," with the exception of the 5th round which ought not have new arguments given in it, since it is the last round. But, if during it seems useful to either of us to add a new argument, rebut a given argument, clarify a prior statement, I'd like the debate to permit that freedom. You asked of sources, could you place them in a collective cancelled debate. I'm unfamiliar with that approach. But, sure. I'll be placing my sources at the bottom of the rounds I use them in. Since our voters will have to consider sources, it might make it easier for them to see the quantity and quality when they are close to the arguments that use them. But, I'm not a stickler about that kind of thing, hence why I like a freeing style to debates.
Posted by lannan13 8 months ago
lannan13
Can I put my sources in a collective cancelled debate?
Posted by lannan13 8 months ago
lannan13
What's the debate structure?
Posted by lannan13 8 months ago
lannan13
Yeah I can do that.