IanScottWilson
CriticalThinkingMachine

Does God Exist?

CriticalThinkingMachine

IanScottWilson

Con

I argue against the motion. My opponent will start as the burden of proof is on them.
CriticalThinkingMachine

Pro

INTRODUCTION

I’d like to thank my opponent for instigating this debate. In what follows I will present several arguments for the existence of God. Based on my opponents opening words, it is clear that he is supporting negative atheism and will not be presenting any positive arguments for atheism, but will only form rebuttals to positive arguments for theism.

I have written much about God, and I have formulated many arguments for God’s existence, but putting forth those arguments in a debate format is a different story. It was a challenge for me to pick the ones that I felt were appropriate for a debate, and it was a challenge to present them in shortened versions that would fit the allotted space. But I feel these arguments will work. I have presented them in their slimmest form and will flesh them out more as the rounds go on and as Con’s arguments provide groundwork for what needs more development.

ARGUMENTS

1- Modality
The universe is contingent. It could have been another way. It could have not existed at all. There is nothing about the universe that entails its own existence. In contrast, the logical relation that “The three angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees” is a necessary truth. There is nothing outside of it that is required to make it true. But because the existence of the universe is contingent, there must be something else outside of the universe which sustains its existence. A single being who is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent is the simplest and most non-arbitrary explanation for the existence of the universe. To posit another natural thing as the cause of the universe simply backs the problem up another step. To avoid the problem, we must posit something which is outside of the natural realm.

Bottom line, logical relations are the only “things” which can exist apart from God, but everything else depends on God for its continued existence.

2- The Moral Code
Human beings have a moral code. We feel guilty if we perform certain actions, and we feel good if we perform certain other actions. Why is this so? Nature might predispose us to care for those who we believe could help us if we helped them, or those who carry our genes, but nature does not explain why we care about people whom we have never even met, who don’t carry our genes, and who will not help us, or even people who may hurt us. We are forced to above nature to the supernatural realm.

3- Beauty
The human mind has the ability to see and appreciate beauty in cases in which doing so is not necessary for any evolutionary or natural purposes. We can find pleasure in music, film, literature, as well as many other forms of art. We also find beauty and derive pleasure from non-art too. We may feel captivated by a sunset, or a raging storm, or the snow. The ability to do this is so basic to our existence that we take it for granted, but it’s there, and none of it fits into any evolutionary scheme. Since this ability does not lie in nature, we must again look beyond nature to the supernatural realm.

CONCLUSION

I have presented a case for the existence of a God consisting of three arguments. I am aware of the criticisms that have been and are likely to be lodged against them and I intend to defend against them in the next round. I am awaiting Con’s response.

IanScottWilson

Con

IanScottWilson forfeited this round.
CriticalThinkingMachine

Pro

My opponent has forfeited his posting for round two. I extend my arguments to round two.
IanScottWilson

Con

IanScottWilson forfeited this round.
CriticalThinkingMachine

Pro

Extend my arguments again.
IanScottWilson

Con

IanScottWilson forfeited this round.
CriticalThinkingMachine

Pro

Extend arguments again.
IanScottWilson

Con

IanScottWilson forfeited this round.
CriticalThinkingMachine

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the entire debate after instigating it. I extend my arguments to the final round. They remain without a reponse and hence remain unrefuted.

VOTE

conduct: pro
It's okay to forfeit but one should provide a reason for doing so. Con just vanished from the debate without explanation. That is not good conduct.

grammar/spelling: pro
Con's single sentence had a grammatical error. He refers to me (a singular) as "them".

arguments: pro
Con forfeited.

sources: tie
No sources were needed by either side.

5 points to me. 0 points to my opponent. 1 tied point.
Posted by CriticalThinkingMachine 4 years ago
CriticalThinkingMachine
emospongebob

Smithereens vote was not a vote bomb. He was joking when he said that. I won the debate. My opponent forfeited the whole thing. Did you even look at it?????

What you just did was provide a votebomb, so now you're being a hypocrit as well as a voterbomber. Please change your vote, and don't vote on my debates if you're going act like that.
Posted by timtom2213 4 years ago
timtom2213
wow, CriticalThinkingMachine is on fire, he presented things that even I as a believer in god wouldn't have been able to come up with
Posted by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
This debate is gonna be good....... :P
CriticalThinkingMachine
Ian

I noticed on your news feed that you instigated a debate called "Religion Is a Detriment to the Progression of the Human Race" but when I clicked on it, a page came up saying "The page you are requesting cannot be found" or something like that. Has that been happening to you? Do you know how this problem occurred?
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 4 years ago
TrasguTravieso
IanScottWilsonCriticalThinkingMachineTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is too bad. I have debated Con before and he makes for a good debate. I hope he is well.
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
Reasons for voting decision: Pro successfully proved the existence of God by giving reasonable arguments. Seeing this, Con basically just gave up. UPDATE: Changing my vote from 3 points to 5 points at the request of Pro.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
Reasons for voting decision: Bow down to King CTM IV
Vote Placed by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
Reasons for voting decision: I hereby votebomb this debate.