IvanVilla
urapai

Does God Exist?

IvanVilla

Con

It is my understanding that the inception of scientific discoveries has presented logical evidence as to the existence of a divine creator of the universe. Now lets say that there is such a deity. What would that entail? It would mean that an all loving and omnipotent being would allow for the death of millions of innocent people, from natural disasters, to occur while he watches with complete indifference. Does that seem loving to you? Now lets say that there is one correct religion with one God. That would infer that all the remaining religions around the world would be wrong in their beliefs, and thus damned to eternal torture. Why would such a being allow for billions of people around the world(for no fault of their own) be indoctrinated into different religious upbringings, contrary to the truth, and subject them to eternal damnation for such beliefs? In a world where we see overwhelming religious dissonance which are major causes for war, crimes and segregation, I ask the questions; Is religion necessary? Does God exist? For me the evidence points to the contrary. What do you think?
urapai

Pro

I believe that god is real. Think about science for a second. Their are many unexplained gaps. Many theories that are wrong and have many flaws. But if we look at all these things like the bible, their are answers to questions. There are things that seem so impossible through god, but that is according to science, but god can do the impossible. And you mentioned something long the lines of if god is real, why does he let all these people suffer? The thing you mentioned can also be related to a question like this " If God made everything, did he make evil?" To that question I answer with this, God is to evil like darkness is to light. Darkness is not real, it is but the absence of light. Same for evil. Evil is just the absence of God.

Sorry for bad grammar
IvanVilla

Con

I do understand that there are fallacies in the scientific understanding of the universe, but if we are to look at various things unexplained by science and leave them all to the arbitrary existence of God, what would that mean for science? From an apologist perspective science can never explain the truth about how we came to be and that it never will and that a belief in an ancient has all the answers. If we take a look at the people that wrote the bible per se, we see that it was written by a people who didn't understand the world at all and received their knowledge from "revelations" from God himself and wrote everything down verbatim and without bias to create the bible. To believe that is to do so without logic or reason. It is curious though that it was at that point in time that God created miracles and sent revelations very commonly but for some odd reason got tired and let the disease and ignorance plague the lands. It is my belief that if there is a God that he would not allow for such ambiguity to occur and let people stray away from the true religion from lack of evidence. Why would a God not be so kind and loving as to give clear guidance to the world? and not leave people to believe such absurdities from these ancient civilizations.
urapai

Pro

From your argument, the main thing I took our was "Why would a God not be so kind and loving as to give clear guidance to the world?". In reality, all those small things that you see is a guide. He is giving you signs, he is talking to you. But as the bible states "For God speaks in one way, and in two, though man does not perceive it." -Job 33:14

http://www.openbible.info...

God is talking to us, God is giving us a guide, but man does not perceive it. But those who are strong in faith do.
IvanVilla

Con

I just don't see very convincing evidence for me to say that there is in fact a God and it seems almost na"ve to devote your life to a deity that you are not sure even exists from a bible that's been written by man himself.
urapai

Pro

urapai forfeited this round.
IvanVilla

Con

IvanVilla forfeited this round.
urapai

Pro

That is what faith is for. He is testing us. Just because there is not full proof, does not mean something is not true. The same thing happens in science. There are many theories with no complete proof, like evolution.
IvanVilla

Con

IvanVilla forfeited this round.
urapai

Pro

I would like to point out that this was more of a discussion than a debate. Thanks for your time.
Posted by nite2bird 2 years ago
nite2bird
Con, you have many questions that can be answered, however if you keep asking God (not just ask man) those questions, he will give you a satisfactory answer. He told us seek and you shall find.

What I pickup from you is your main question, why a loving God would let innocent people suffer.
Firstly, Innocent-people as you say. This I believe is by your own moral standard of judgement.

Secondly, people (or the world at large) have rejected God, we told him we don"t believe in him and to get out of our school, and get out of influencing our government & we excluded him from our lives. And now you turn around and say why he is not helping us in natural disasters. Think of it this way, if I ask you to leave my house and you as a gentleman as you are will probably comply. I slam the door and trip over or got electrocuted and say why are you standing out there and not help me.
God is a gentleman, caring and loving. And if you ask him to get out he will, you have been given a free-will.
Posted by Hqinusa 2 years ago
Hqinusa
They have just as much proof that god exist as the Big Bang theory also the Big Bang theory could be wrong many theory's have been proven wrong