Gunfighter806
Always.ask_Y

Does God exist outside our own skulls?

Always.ask_Y has forfeited round #1.

Gunfighter806

Pro

Greetings all, in the interest of full disclosure I am a retiring soon US Navy aircraft carrier commanding officer, so my command of logic is a little on the sound side, so no need for the usual watchdogs who monitor all new members of these types of groups to waste their own or anyone else's time attempting to provoke me, since I am also the world's foremost authority on Linguistic Warfare, which includes being able to effectively execute a prolonged gaslighting campaign against someone. So, not to worry anyone, just letting you know the timeframes I can leave an argument do and come back to it with the same sense of interest I had to start it, in case I drop off here, I'll be baaaaaack!! As Arnie would say. Who, unfortunately never played a US Navy Top Gun God's Boss coffee cup driving flattop CO, but maybe that will change once he learns how much fun it is from me.

And that's the simple question. There's a lot of debate about God existing or not within our own minds, me, personally, I don't have any doubt my Supreme Being is the same as my biological fathers and I won't go into that, since everyone's experience growing up is going to be different, which will add to the fun. Not just does God exist outside our own skulls, but is that a belief you inherited from your parents or came to from your own reading and exploring in other directions. Curious. Captain Wort.
Posted by Gunfighter806 5 months ago
Gunfighter806
That's the spirit of debate, MagicAintReal.

Not sure I would agree with that creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority. Logic is the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority. Which would be my guess as to being the God of Adam, Abraham and Moses described in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religious texts. That's the English word Logic.

As far as spiritual authority, as in what we should do next, I would choose the ancient Greek pantheon of archetypes, with a minor but major change of Zeus and Hera - who were Roman perversions of Greek religion in order to justify the slavery on which their empire was built on - and replace Zeus and Hera with the Supreme Beings the Greeks worshipped, which were Orion and Hestia. Would be their mythical "Dad and Mom" so to speak, until they learned enough and had enough real world experience to start to think for themselves and become independent agents, so to speak, with their own marriage partners replacing their parents as authorities for their kids to maintain the line of succession, so to speak, that fostered the independent thought and self-reliance necessary for democracy to originate in Ancient Greece.

So, for all All-powerful God, I would call that being Orion, but I would not mention Him as being separate from his wife, Hestia, as I would not speak of my own parents as Dad or Mom, but Dad AND Mom, since it took DNA from both of them to create my physical body, otherwise I wouldn't be here to ponder any of this in that 1250 cc organ tucked inside my skull here I imagine as being the seat of my mental thinking, but in fact is just one part of this complete entity called ME, made up of my whole body.
Posted by MagicAintReal 5 months ago
MagicAintReal
@GunFighter806,
Thanks for your service (forgot to say that before) and I'd really like to debate you on this, but you have to at least pin down *some* definition of god so that we may use *that* definition throughout the debate.
Can I suggest a definition?

god - the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority.

Your thoughts?
Posted by canis 5 months ago
canis
"Does God exist outside our own skulls?"......No only the inside of our skulls.
Posted by backwardseden 5 months ago
backwardseden
Yes language does change over time. That's why no god of the bible, in which nobody can even prove exists, especially would use text as a source of communication, the worst form of communication possible so everybody can get it wrong. There's mucky translations upon translations upon translations upon copies upon copies upon copies with dead languages upon dead languages upon dead languages with a 0% chance to trace it back to the original so anybody is interpreting correctly.
Posted by Gunfighter806 5 months ago
Gunfighter806
Backwardseden, the word good doesn't have anything to do with meaning, it's just a word. Like a name. Your name, my name, anybody's name is not who they are, it's just a handle for other people to call them by because hey, you, gets boring after the first couple times, and clearly if you need to talk to someone more than once, you might need to again, so you might as well ask them their name and shake their hand when they say it so you remember it better - that's what shaking hands is for - and then I always, especially if somebody's name is hard to pronounce for me, I'll repeat it back to them and make sure it registered right. That's how conversation works. One person says something, and then the other person says something back and then they adjust fire, so to speak, accordingly to pass the time. There is not one single instance in homo sapien's vibrant, dynamic 3 million year journey to date of anyone being physically injured by words, so there's no harm in just debating a little bit for fun without trying to impress anybody.

And the etymology, meaning, the origin, of the English word God, is the Proto-Germanic word gudan, which they used in ancient times to mean good. Language changes over time. You see, the Bible was not written in English, it was TRANSLATED from the original Hebrew for the Pentateuch and other parts of Old Testament from the Jewish religious tradition, and then Aramaic for most of the New Testament. So, they would not have been using the word God in the Bible. That's an English word. So, just be careful to keep language separate from intent, because those two very rarely align between two people because of all of our vastly different experiences reading books, or lack thereof, which is the unfortunate side effect of the so-called Information Age that makes debate sites such as this so few and far between, so no harm in running the characters remaining warning all the way down to the last letter for a little more information to share.
Posted by backwardseden 5 months ago
backwardseden
Well the supposed "god" according to the bible isn't good by any means of the term "good". I mean... Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
Posted by Debating_Horse 5 months ago
Debating_Horse
Planning on making a move within 10 more hours.
Posted by Gunfighter806 5 months ago
Gunfighter806
MagicAintReal, the context I am using the English word God in doesn't leave very much semantic wiggle room. God is an English word that comes from the Proto-Germanic word gudan, or good. Meaning Good. The word God therefore means good in the context of the fun debate I posted the first post in.
Posted by MagicAintReal 5 months ago
MagicAintReal
Which god?
Care to define it?