ProTTT
liam12

Does God exist ?

liam12

ProTTT

Con

It'll be safe to say that man created god rather than the opposite, which sounds poorly thought out and gauche. The very reason of this stance is based on lack of evidence and absence of rationality in dealing with such an issue. In my opinion, it is completely okay to drag amidst this, since the three Abrahamic religions, Mormonism and populist Hinduism strongly advocate for God. In it's entire history, religion has been a strong force in dividing people and then taking turns killing them. Moreover, religion is not only a never-stopping machine of exaggerating claims and false promises but also an indeliberate mechanism which suspends one's logical faculties. Every religion has created it's god which is a father figure who seem to give less than a dime about Earthly activities yet claims to keep a close eye on everyone. He is a fabric of our imagination and an excuse for our darker sides.
liam12

Pro

I accept the debate. I am going to prove to you that God does exist. I wish you the best of luck!

My first point I am going to make is the fact that Jesus Christ, the son of God is the most well known person throughout all of history. He is the most talked about person in our world today, and he always has been since his Resurrection. It is quite obvious that Jesus Christ was a person. We even have St. Peter's (The first Pope, one of the 12 apostles, and a saint) body in St. Peter's Basilica. This is proof that Jesus' apostles existed!

My second point: Books written before Jesus, told EXACTLY what happened to him during his lifetime.

Here are some Prophecies that are fulfilled through Jesus Christ:

1. Jesus will come from the line of Abraham. Prophecy: Genesis 12:3. Fulfilled: Matthew 1:1.

2. Jesus" mother will be a virgin. Prophecy: Isaiah 7:14. Fulfilled: Matthew 1:18"23.

3. Jesus will be a descendent of Isaac and Jacob. Prophecy: Genesis 17:19 and Numbers 24:17. Fulfilled: Matthew 1:2.

4. Jesus will be born in the town Bethlehem. Prophecy: Micah 5:2. Fulfilled: Luke 2:1"7.

5. Jesus will be called out of Egypt. Prophecy: Hosea 11:1. Fulfilled: Matthew 2:13"15.

6. Jesus will be a member of the tribe of Judah. Prophecy: Genesis 49:10. Fulfilled: Luke 3:33.

7. Jesus will enter the temple. This is important because the temple was destroyed in A.D. 70 and was never rebuilt. Prophecy: Malachi 3:1. Fulfilled: Luke 2:25"27.

8. Jesus will be from the lineage of King David. Prophecy: Jeremiah 23:5. Fulfilled: Matthew 1:6.

9. Jesus" birth will be accompanied with great suffering and sorrow. Prophecy: Jeremiah 31:15. Fulfilled: Matthew 2:16.

10. Jesus will live a perfect life, die by crucifixion, resurrect from death, ascend into heaven, and sit at the right hand of God. Prophecies: Psalm 22:16; Psalm 16:10; Isaiah 53:10"11; Psalm 68:18; Psalm 110:1. Fulfilled: 1 Peter 2:21"22; Luke 23:33; Acts 2:25"32; Acts 1:9; Hebrews 1:3.
ProTTT

Con

Thank you very much friend for your acceptance and argument. First of all, the opening line of your argument which says that you're going to PROVE to me that god exists is a controversial claim to make, since better minds than us have pondered over the issue and haven't PROVED that there is or isn't a God and also seems unlikely someone will reach that verdict. So let's just talk about CONVINCING each other about the existence of god.
First of all, as I pointed out in the first round, suspension of logical faculties and lack or rational argument constitutes religion. If anyone tells me that Jesus was a person who was born to a VIRGIN, then you are the receiving end of my slightest involuntary ridicule, since that is impossible.
For me the story of Jesus is a popular myth, which I personally appreciate on moral grounds. Also, it's peculiar how god will send Jesus to Earth to be a subject of deliberate torture and pain and to get him killed saying that he died for our sins, and then RESSURECT him. Moreover, much of the scriptures written before Jesus is the Old Testament which presents a megalomaniacal and misogynistic, unjust God who is willing to slaughter anyone who does not believe in him. It seems almost like a fairytale where people don't mind getting duped by such obvious fallacies.
And observing your affinity for quotations I should also note that if you believe that the Bible is the actual word of God, and that Earth is just 6000 years old, then I strongly disagree with that too.
liam12

Pro

Ok well there is something that you don't understand about Jesus. You might have heard this before, but Jesus is God's son, so Mary would not have to have sex to create Jesus. God could conceive her.

Secondly, the most influential, famous, well known, and talked about person world wide is a MYTH to you? Think again. Reread my previous arguments about the fulfilled prophecies. It is, without a doubt, a fact that Jesus existed. Here is a writing (not from the bible) the famous historian Flavius Josephus writes:

"Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works"a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."

Amazing isn't it? Flavius Josephus lived during the time of Jesus, in his area. It is without a doubt that Jesus existed, so please don't call him a myth.

My next argument involves several stories of those who have seen Heaven. I am sure you have heard of the book "Heaven is for Real" but just in case you haven't read it, let me explain a few miracles that prove Heaven's existence, and thus proving points of God's existence.

First of all, the little boy who claims he went to Heaven met his sister. He said his sister was not named. The parent's knew what he was talking about. Years earlier, the mother in the story miscarried. The parents never talked about this miscarried daughter at all. The daughter was not named by the parents.

Weird isn't it? He knew he had a sister, even though his parents never told him about her. There are literally thousands of stories like this, and several involve atheists who never even thought of the possibility of God's existence.
ProTTT

Con

Let me clear up something. I should have done this before, if you are going to tell me about god as if he"s an ultimate deity and can perform miracles and do anything he likes such as virgin birth, I"ll not even waste a minute to consider your argument and would declare it sneeringly clumsy and odd. We are debating about the existence of God, and you are already posing that as a corollary. THINK ABOUT IT! Can someone give birth while being a virgin, if god is omnipotent then why would he waste time in impregnating the woman at all, won"t he just muster Jesus out of thin air?
And talking about your argument of Jesus is a talked about and a popular person, isn"t Harry Potter one too? Does the popularity make him real? Did he really fly that car from London"s King"s cross to Hogwarts? What if our civilization collapses and 2000 years later, they find the Harry Potter series? Then Harry Potter would be the new god. That"s how we humans deal with it.
And talking about Flavius Josephus, he was born quite a number of years after Christ"s alleged death, so he was writing what he heard, and there"s no certainty to the fact that he meant Jesus as a real person. BUT, even if you put the question about his existence aside, I agree he was a good man with profound moral teachings, but we just cannot believe that facts such as his resurrection and virgin birth, since there is no scientific evidence for such phenomenon and they largely seem and sound bogus.
Talking about people visiting heaven, let me tell you, psychologists have debunked such incidents a long time ago have provided sound scientific explanations for them, as for people describing their unborn siblings accurately, it"s based largely on suppressed memory and falsehood.
liam12

Pro

First of all, let me explain a little theology to you. Jesus wasn't mustered out of thin air because God wanted Jesus to be the son of man, while being the son of God to show His love for His people. He wanted to be "Yahweh" which means God among his people.

Secondly, your idea of Harry Potter or other fictional characters becoming gods after a collapsed civilization is complete B.S. We can trace the origins of the Catholic church back to the pope, we can trace the pope back to the first pope, Saint Peter, we can trace Peter back to the 12, and we can trace the 12 back to Jesus Christ himself. Harry Potter or any fictional character would not be thought of as a god because there is only writings about them. This is similar to archaeologists uncovering Egyptian writings of their gods. Does that make us worship those God's as well? No!

Have you ever heard of the Big Bang? Well I am sure you have. Here is an atheist's view on it, who turned Christian during his works. Check it out:

If the universe did indeed have a beginning, by the simple logic of cause and effect, there had to be an agent " separate and apart from the effect " that caused it.

That sounds a lot like Genesis 1:1 to me: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth."

So this latest discovery is good news for us believers, as it adds scientific support to the idea that the universe was caused " or created " by something or someone outside it and not dependent on it.

I know your going to tell me that I believe the earth was made 6,000 years ago, but that was never said in the Bible. God was trying to explain to the Israelite how to convince the Babylonians of His existence. At this time, they were under exile. The Babylonians had a 7 day creation story, thus why they preached a 7 day creation story, because it was easier for people to understand.

My last and final argument before I wrap things up is this: The universe obeys laws. It follows rules and patterns. Scientists can't explain why. Many scientists think that these rules just don't make any sense, why do things follow rules? In my opinion, science is us trying to understand the "handwriting" of God. Why would things follow laws? I think you and I both know the answer.

I am making my last point. if there is no God, and there is no afterlife, then what's the point of being here on Earth? What's the point of even living because one day nobody will even know that you existed. But let's say God existed, then there is actually a point to our lives. We can trust in Him, and hopefully make it to the after life, and our lives would have meaning then. Please do believe in God. I am not asking you to go to church, or pray daily, but please do try because without God your life, my life, our friends' lives, our families lives, are all pointless. Then we are just atoms, our feelings are just atoms, our love is just atoms, but if we have God we accept more than physical reality. Please do make your life have a point. Please do realize that without God, one day you will be nothing at all, not even a memory of a person.

Thanks so much for debating with me, and may God bless!
Vote Placed by TheMaster_Debator 2 years ago
TheMaster_Debator
ProTTTliam12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Liam12 had way better arguments. Clear winner.
Vote Placed by Lt.Harris 2 years ago
Lt.Harris
ProTTTliam12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con lost. It's just that simple.