The Instigator
Bridget.Ann
Con (against)
Losing
0 Points
The Contender
bearski
Pro (for)
Winning
3 Points

Does God exist?

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Vote Here
Con Tied Pro
Who did you agree with before the debate?
Who did you agree with after the debate?
Who had better conduct?
Who had better spelling and grammar?
Who made more convincing arguments?
Who used the most reliable sources?
Reasons for your voting decision
1,000 Characters Remaining
The Voting Period Ends In
13days08hours03minutes49seconds
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 6/19/2016 Category: Religion
Updated: 5 months ago Status: Voting Period
Viewed: 369 times Debate No: 92892
Debate Rounds (3)
Comments (13)
Votes (2)

 

Bridget.Ann

Con

The question still remains: Does God exist? If you talk to a scientist, he will say no..but if you ask a god~centered religious person, of course he will say yes. The question is, who's information is more reliable? Scientists have researched dinosaurs, the universe and many other things that say God doesn't exist. Religious fanatics though, just say that you have to believe in God. They say that only God can answer your questions, but you just have to trust Him. Now I ask you, who do you think is more reliable, scientists that have researched and proved that there is no logical way that God exists, or people on Earth that have a god that is conveniently invisible and they have no proof of God's existence except for their faith? I am not saying that people who believe in God are bad people, I'm just saying that they are stupid.
bearski

Pro

Good topic.

I will start out by disagreeing with your comparison of people of religious faith and those of science. They are not always one and not the other. There are scientists who are deeply religious. And it works in reverse too. People of faith immersed in scientific knowledge. In his recent testament on climate change Pope Francis combines deeply felt religious faith with scientific knowledge

Yes God exists but not in a way which is definable through science. There is a mystical quality to God which science can't measure but can be known through are own experiences with the Divine.
Debate Round No. 1
Bridget.Ann

Con

This is not relevant, but I understand that each religion that believes that its own god is the only god that can exist. If some people are so fixed on believing in God, then I don't understand how people are less accepted if they believe in another god or don't believe in God at all..but I guess believing in their own god is mostly their upbringing. Anyway, scientists have proven Christians wrong that think the earth is 6,000 years old with scientific proof. But if you are expressing your belief as a Catholic, then I don't understand how Catholics have figured out that God is even real..do you base everything off of a book that I'm sure was not written by God, but people? There are thousands of versions of bibles, and people just write new ones that say what they want them to say. People make new churches and religions by basing it off of the bible but taking out or adding parts that they want. People just believe in God because they are afraid of dying and having no afterlife. People are just scared of dying so they make up a religion, and as I said before, they change it so it doesn't greatly affect their lifestyle while they are alive.
bearski

Pro

Don't know if it is irrelevant or not. I will let whoever judges this to decide that. I don't question it on those ground.

About my religious beliefs I share some of the mysticism of Catholicism and I also share some of the direct experience of God typical of Pentecostals. I also like fundamentalist Christians find the word of God in scripture. But I am not a member of any of those Churches

Yes there are people who are closed minded-- people who have discovered what is right and everybody else who doesn't agree is wrong no matter what the facts say. But that is not good faith. It's bad faith. One is to be open to what is called continuing revelation- Which means being able and willing to adsorb new knowledge as it is gained
Debate Round No. 2
Bridget.Ann

Con

So if you have "good faith" you are able to accept that scientists have deemed God impossible to exist. Religion causes all sorts of problems, and because God is the most popular idol, people have the need to fight for His existence even though some priests don't even believe km God.
bearski

Pro

They can't prove it by the standard scientific method. It does not mean all scientists don't believe God doesn't exist or that God's existence can't be proved in other ways. You have a child's concept of God which is of an all powerful old white man with a beard out there in deep space somewhere who can do anything including what even He can't do.

Now my idea of God is not of some object out there somewhere whose existence should be able to be proved by scientific inequity but that God exists within each of us-- not outside ourselves -- we do not need to prove the existence of a external object but listen to that of God within us.,

You may be at the stage right now where it is normal and healthy to question and reject a child's concept of God. Maybe you will come to seeing God something like I do. Maybe God will not be part of your journey. Or maybe S/he will take you on a different journey. I am not to say. What matters to me is not whether someone Else's relationship with God agrees with mine but whether it is right for them
Debate Round No. 3
13 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 10 records.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 months ago
dsjpk5
Good to know!
Posted by whiteflame 2 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: dsjpk5// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason for non-removal*] No RFD is required on this debate. As such, votes on this debate are not moderated.
************************************************************************
Posted by distraff 3 months ago
distraff
Pro:

>> There is a mystical quality to God which science can't measure but can be known through are own experiences with the Divine.
>> but that God exists within each of us-- not outside ourselves -- we do not need to prove the existence of a external object but listen to that of God within us.,

This is the closest you ever came to an argument for God's existence. You say that God is somehow talking to us and we can experience him. How exactly is this happening? Are you actually seeing obviously supernatural things or are you interpreting your own emotional experiences and positive events to be God?
Posted by distraff 3 months ago
distraff
Con:

>> Scientists have researched dinosaurs, the universe and many other things that say God doesn't exist.
>> scientists that have researched and proved that there is no logical way that God exists
>> Anyway, scientists have proven Christians wrong that think the earth is 6,000 years old with scientific proof.
>> So if you have "good faith" you are able to accept that scientists have deemed God impossible to exist.

51% of scientists believe in God or a higher power. Only 17% are atheists and only some atheists believe that God certainly doesn't exist.
http://www.pewforum.org...

Where is all this scientific proof God doesn't exist? You didn't even tell us what it is.
Posted by dsjpk5 5 months ago
dsjpk5
Hilarious.
Posted by liam2002 5 months ago
liam2002
I do not believe in an all powerful imaginary friend.
Posted by whiteflame 5 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: dsjpk5// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason for non-removal*] No RFD is required on this debate, so votes are not moderated.
************************************************************************
Posted by Tyrain 5 months ago
Tyrain
This is more god via science v.s. Christianity. To be fair the argument here isn't about the existence of any gods other than the Judaeo-christian interpretation. In that argument I agree that god does not physically exist due to the scope by which a most mono-religions view god; as beings without parameters. Most human effigies are simply symbols. They embody ideals and practices that humans wish to pass down to other generations. Often they are used for both ill or good depending on the moral compass of those who honor or exploit said effigy and the methodically surrounding it. In a pure objective sense god/gods are not physical being, it exists as does every individuals belief allows.

On the other hand however Its very possible that there are creatures/entities/beings etc in the universe that could fit certain interpretations of gods. Human science is in its infancy, though it doesn't like to admit it. Our universal understand is based upon applying planetary patterns on a universal scale. A majority of science is in fact simply assuming "If it works this way on earth it must fundamentally work this way everywhere." Our actual knowledge of the universe couldn't fill a thimble. The lions share of it is based purely on conjecture or incomplete and/or insufficient methods of measurement that are quickly relegated into the realm of fact until they can be "disproved". A very unscientific way of doing things! For all we know there could be planet sized biological entities, creatures that feed on stars, life forms with biological immortality (we've already found a specie of jellyfish on earth that is biologically immortal) and a plethora of other things far more amazing than the things found on earth. Elephants may seem like gods if you're an ant. They might seem like galaxies if you're a microbe. Its entirely plausible for entities to exist on a scale in which humans would consider them as gods from an intrinsic perspective, even if they could be measured.
Posted by Bridget.Ann 5 months ago
Bridget.Ann
@bearski of course you would say that because you are the contender
Posted by bearski 5 months ago
bearski
Your rant indicates you either didn't read or failed to understand what Contender said about God. Almost nothing Contender said defines God in the way you claimed.
2 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 2 records.
Vote Placed by distraff 3 months ago
distraff
Bridget.AnnbearskiTied
Agreed with before the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Agreed with after the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:--Vote Checkmark3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:00 
Reasons for voting decision: Con kept saying that science has disproven God but didn't actually prove it. He made some arguments against Christianity but that doesn't disprove God. Pro was more interested in explaining his beliefs but did not actually show that God exists. So both of your arguments were equally bad.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 5 months ago
dsjpk5
Bridget.AnnbearskiTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03