jp1999
Connoisseur

Does God exist?

jp1999

Pro

First round acceptance only, then four full debate rounds.
Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Pro Argument 1 and Con Rebuttal and Argument
Round 3 - Pro Rebuttal and Second Argument then Con Rebuttal then Second Argument.

We shall continue in this fashion throughout.
Connoisseur

Con

Classic debate.

Let's go.
jp1999

Pro

Firstly I wish to thank you for joining me in this debate, this is only my third debate and it looks like this is at least your thirtieth. This, as any good debater knows, is a very tricky issue as there never will be any solid proof. As a consequence, we cannot provide sources for evidence (unless you are using a theory, which you should reference as normal.)

The Religious Experience Argument

Just to define this term for you, a religious experience can either be a miracle, numinous or by a mystical experience.
A miracle is when someone feels God has done something super-natural to change the course of natural or intended events.
A Numinous experience is when we get a sense of awe and wonder which they experience when they feel they are in the presence of God. If you have ever watched the Simpson's Movie, granddad has a numinous experience in Church.
A Mystical experience is when someone says that they have experienced God in such an intense way that they feel that they have become part of God. This is experienced when one meditates and reaches a state of total relaxation.

I wish to share with you a miracle I experienced. I was on holiday once, and I was swimming in the campsite pool, diving up and down from the surface. I suddenly took a deep breath while in the water and started choking. I had started to drown. Someone across on the deckchairs noticed that I had not come back up for a minute, and walked over to check it out. He said he then saw a body at the bottom of the pool, 3m deep. He jumped in and dived down, picking me up and saving me.

This was a true miracle, without this man's actions I would certainly be dead. But what does this have to do with God? Well, God intended for me to be rescued. Seeing as a miracle requires divine intervention (Divine means God in other words), if a true miracle occurs God exists because he caused that miracle.

You might argue that it was the person's choice to jump in and save me, but I ask who made him decide to do that. The act of him saving my life wasn't the miracle, the act of him deciding to save my life was. I stress the fact it was his decision that makes it a miracle, I believe that the decision to do something is always caused by something else. I will explain this in a later argument.
Connoisseur

Con

Connoisseur forfeited this round.
jp1999

Pro

The absence of CON will make this debate unfair. I will no longer post arguments until the final round, which is the summary of my point. I will also add a few other arguments.

I ask that voting respects these rules as CON has not posted an argument:
  • YES; voting for the person you think was best at each individual catagory.
  • NO; do not vote CON for more convincing arguments, as they made no arguments at all.
Connoisseur

Con

Connoisseur forfeited this round.
jp1999

Pro

My opponent has yet again forfeited this round, unfortunately.

I have a tradition of not initiating any new arguments when an opponent has forfeited a round, as this is not fair on him or her. I will hope that he/she provides an argument for this last round, or I will summarise and perhaps include a source for a more valid point.
Connoisseur

Con

Connoisseur forfeited this round.
jp1999

Pro

jp1999 forfeited this round.
Connoisseur

Con

Connoisseur forfeited this round.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 3 years ago
IwinYoulose333
He must have known he was going to lose.
Posted by jp1999 3 years ago
jp1999
Connoisseur has left www.debate.org and so this Argument is really in my hands. If you visit his profile you will see it has been closed, meaning that a moderator might well have closed it for him.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 3 years ago
IwinYoulose333
This is a tricky topic. I personally believe that there is a God who created everything, and will be our judge on the judgment day. I am a Christian so I also belive that Christ is the son of God, and that he died to save us.
Posted by Connoisseur 3 years ago
Connoisseur
I believe there was an original consciousness that created everything physical.

I do nto believe it has any authority or moral value at all.

However I am debating against this right now.
Posted by jp1999 3 years ago
jp1999
I have to be honest, I have not heard of them before. What exactly is the difference between the two?
Posted by Connoisseur 3 years ago
Connoisseur
I'm not an atheist. I am a deistic nihilist but never mind.
Posted by jp1999 3 years ago
jp1999
Thank you Connoisseur for accepting this debate, I think this will be interesting given your atheism and my Orthodox Christianity. I also am a junior philosopher.