Aso16925
Milton.Pullen

Does ISIS represent Islam?

Milton.Pullen

Aso16925

Con

ISIS does not represent Islam at all.
ISIS has been found by America and Israel. They just want to stop Islamic awakening and replace it with islamphobia.

TERRORISM HAS NO RELIGION.

Unluckily, the people in the west see Islam as a religion of violence, hate, and terror. But that is completely wrong. If you really think about it 1.6 billion Muslims around the world are following the religion of violence, hate and terror. Do you really think that? Do you really believe that?

Many non-Muslims with knowledge or without knowledge, claims that Quran/Islam orders Muslims to kill disbelievers and who refuse to embrace Islam. This is false, Quran/Islam actually says that "If anyone slew an innocent person it would be as if he slew the whole mankind and if anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole mankind " Quran chapter 5 verse 32.
Islam is a religion of peace, love and compassion like any other religion.
I wish people would look back and understand before blaming Islam and Muslims for everything.
Milton.Pullen

Pro

BOP is split 50/50 in this debate. I would like to thank my opponent for the opportunity to debate this topic.

Section rebutting my opponent’s remarks

My opponent has made several claims that are not backed up by evidence. Two salient examples that require further explanation and evidence are…

(1) “ISIS does not represent Islam at all.”

Pro’s response to (1)

[Then the obvious question is why would a group that has nothing to do with terrorism called itself the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, for fun? No, clearly the group defines itself in terms of their interpretation of the Quran and Hadith. But my opponent goes further and states that ISIS doesn’t represent Islam at all. This is clearly false. Moreover, because my opponent does not offer evidence for this claim, I am allowed to dismiss it without evidence.]

(2) ISIS has been found by America and Israel. They just want to stop Islamic awakening and replace it with islamphobia.”

Pro’s response to (2)

[Pro does not understand this claim since it is either so ambiguous as to be an incoherent argument or some kind of inexplicable conspiracy theory. One interpretation would be that my opponent is trying to assert that America and Israel are the literal founders of ISIS in some kind of CIA-conspiracy.

Couples of points & defining the word “represent”:

let me provide the definition this debate will use from Dictionary.com

______________________________________________________________ (1) To serve to express, designate, stand for, or denote, as a word, symbol, or the like does; symbolize:

(2) To stand or act in the place of, as a substitute, proxy, or agent does:

________________________________________________________________

In every example above, it is clear from a linguist perspective that ISIS would meet the criteria for representing Islam.

Using (1) definition: ISIS symbolizes an Islamic worldview insistent on establishing a caliphate in Middle East.

Using (3) definition: ISIS insists they represent a pure form of Islam.

“The Islamic State, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), follows a distinctive variety of Islam whose beliefs about the path to the Day of Judgment matter to its strategy, and can help the West know its enemy and predict its behavior.”[1] The New Republic nicely condenses our argument into a simple analogy: “if ISIS is not Islamic then the Inquisition was not Catholic.”[2] This is a good way to view the entire debate, which is that on its face, it is very clear that ISIS does represent Islam. Finally, given that my opponent cited one verse from the Quran let me quickly provide the Wikipedia page entitled Quran and violence.[3]

Posted by BigMouth 2 years ago
BigMouth
Is this really an honest and acceptable way of understanding an entire religion? (And I say this in defence of all religions, such as Christianity (and the inquisition), that may have been and still is being falsely represented)
Every time I hear news about another beheading or action of unacceptable injustice and cruelty do you really believe it makes me, a believer and follower of the true form of Islam, proud and satisfied? I say this with all honesty, it hurts me as well as any other Muslim friend, family or relative I know deep inside and angers me that this false and completely contradictory representation of my religion is being formed and accepted as truth by many.
Posted by BigMouth 2 years ago
BigMouth
Before beginning this writing I would like to state : clearly a biased view such as: "Isis has been formed by America and Israel They just want to stop Islamic awakening and replace it with Islam phobia" cannot be accepted, whether it may be true or not, without clear supporting evidence.
Let me ask you this, everyone has different interpretations of certain ideas, people and acts around the world, but can we state that everyone"s interpretations are true? Definitely not! This is the case with Isis, they"ve produced this very wrong interpretation of Islam and the Quran and use this false interpretation to so called "represent Islam." And unfortunately many people willingly and immediately accept this representation, supporting the idea that a group of extremists, formed for whatever the reason maybe, is more than enough to represent a religion with over 1 billion followers globally. Don"t you think this is biased?
I cannot exclude the followers of ISIS from Islam by labelling them as liars. But I can assure you that even though they (the group of ISIS and its followers) insist, for whatever their reason may be, their acts are based upon the Quran and the Hadith originating from Islam, their acts are highly false interpretations contradicting the fundamentals of Islam. Islam is indeed a religion of peace, love and compassion. And yes you can provide me verses from the Quran in attempt to prove me wrong, but the issue is we tend to cherry pick broad verses out of a complex book consisting of 6236 verses and interpret them according to our needs and purposes, and this is where the problem originates. We cherry pick such verses then interpret it by the actions of a merciless and vicious group of barbarians who"ve already been denounced and condemned by many important followers of the true form of Islam. And on top of this make rather biased comments such as "it is very clear Isis does represent Islam."
Posted by CommunistDog 2 years ago
CommunistDog
Nevermind.... this person joined about an hour ago. ._.
Posted by CommunistDog 2 years ago
CommunistDog
That was Julia. ._.
Vote Placed by alexkyl99 2 years ago
alexkyl99
Aso16925Milton.PullenTied
Reasons for voting decision: i would agree with con, but there is just not enough evedence. you lost it in the debate man.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
Aso16925Milton.PullenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a more detailed argument. argument, and he provided sources to back it up. Some of Con's argument contains sentences that are highly subjective. (Islam is a religion of peace, love and compassion like any other religion.)
Vote Placed by Emma.Leah3 2 years ago
Emma.Leah3
Aso16925Milton.PullenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct points are tied. Spelling and grammar are also tied. Arguments and reliable sources go to Pro for two reasons: First, Pro advanced an argument linked directly to the sources, countered Con?s major arguments very well, and overall provided a more nuanced case that was more convincing.