Laura6_S9
madi_28z

Does Looks Matter When You Are a Teen?

Laura6_S9

Pro

I'm doing an a presentation about this topic and I would like to have your opinion.

In my opinion looks matter because this new generation judge other teens because of their clothes and physical appearance.
Nowadays, if we want to be accepted by our classmates we have o be like them or they will judge us.
madi_28z

Con

I am arguing against the claim that looks matter when you are a teen, but only to a certain extent. Context = I am an 18 year old female living in Washington D.C.

You claim that this generation tends to judge people based on their physical appearance - their clothes, makeup, skin, etc. However, keep in mind that this generation is actually the most liberal and accepting generation in history.
Likewise, our parents' generation (when they were kids) was the most liberal and accepting generation in history at the time. The generation after us will be the most liberal and accepting generation in history. Therefore, it isn't only our generation that can be judgmental for appearances. Pressure to be "beautiful" has been around for centuries.

As teenagers (especially young teenagers), your budding desire to have sex combined with the awkwardness of growth can make for a pretty miserable experience. You want to look good to attract a mate, but you are not yet fully developed enough to live up the standards that the beauty and fashion industry portray. Although it seems that magazines such as Seventeen or Vogue are portraying impossibly skinny models and promising beauty products to "improve your looks" or "get you ready for bikini season", many large fashion companies are listening to the peoples' requests for more body diversity in the media. This year saw the first Sports Illustrated plus-sized model (admittedly, she is still an average weight and incredibly beautiful, but it is still an improvement).

However, I'm noticing more and more people of our generation becoming more comfortable with the things they decide to wear or how they decide to look. Many of our generation is choosing to wear crop tops, short shorts, dyed hair, lots of piercings, tattoos, etc, and they are no longer people that are stared at or considered eccentric. We see a lot more fashion and body diversity now than we ever have before.

So while I agree that the fashion and beauty industry continues to set impossible beauty standards and I agree that there will almost always be peer judgment based on appearance, I think that each coming generation takes a step forward in total appearance equality.
Laura6_S9

Pro

Laura6_S9 forfeited this round.
madi_28z

Con

madi_28z forfeited this round.
Laura6_S9

Pro

Laura6_S9 forfeited this round.
madi_28z

Con

madi_28z forfeited this round.
Posted by DATXDUDE 11 months ago
DATXDUDE
Looks have ALWAYS mattered.