TheRealNerdyBoy
Saska

Does Marvel Comics make the best comic book movies?

Started: 6/11/2014 Category: Movies

TheRealNerdyBoy

Pro

I think Marvel Comics have made the best movies based on comic books. Anyone up to the challenge?
Saska

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to what should be a fun debate that lets us nerd out a little bit over some movies that I personally love to watch.

To start I will clarify that I am a huge fan of Marvel Comics movies as well as many of the other labels out there. This debate is posed as a question, so there is no burden of proof for either side; we are simply discussing who makes the best comic book movies. My goal is to convince the readers that Marvel Comics does not make the best comic book movies.

I will first denote which movies fall under the Marvel label: Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Hulk, Spider-Man, X-men, Wolverine, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Elektra, Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher.

This is a long list of movies that contains some of my all time favourites (Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Blade trilogy, and several X-men movies) and also contains some major flops (Daredevil, Elektra, The Hulk [with Eric Bana], Spider-Man 3 and X-men: The Last Stand, to name a few). There is no doubt that Marvel produces by far the most comic book movies out of any of the labels, and they have some of the better ones out there, but have they made the best?

Let's look at what they are competing against. DC Comics is their largest competitor and they mainly just keep producing different versions of Batman and Superman, as well as a few other movies like Catwoman, The Green Lantern and The Watchmen. Other movies that can also be considered outside of Marvel and DC are 300, Sin City, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Kick A$$, etc. There are many comic-based films out there and I think the ones I have mentioned include most of the comic-based films that would be considered among the best by the majority of people.

Our topic is a very subjective matter though. There is not really any quantifiable data that shows what movie is best. We can look at which movie grossed the most money, which movie had the best opening weekend or which movie has the best rating on RottenTomatoes.com, but these don't necessarily determine which movie is the best. In my personal opinion, the best comic-based movie (possibly the best movie, period) of all time is The Dark Knight. Not only is this my own personal opinion, but doing a google search of the best movies based on comic books will bring up a plethora of sites with top ten or top twenty five lists that, more often than not, end with The Dark Knight at number one. I have provided some links to several of those sites below.

Why is The Dark Knight the best? I have never watched another movie that kept me so captivated from beginning to end. The cast was absolutely brilliant all the way through. Christian Bale might be my least favourite of the entire cast, but he still does a perfect job of portraying Batman as the flawed, often unstable, but dedicated hero of Gotham. Supporting roles played by the likes of Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart were done perfectly. Then there is Heath Ledger's Joker. The Joker in general is known as one of the greatest villains of all time, and what Ledger did with that character just added another level. Ledger's Joker still managed to be terrifying and absolutely psychotic, but at the same time he somehow managed to find a slight level of likeability. Most super villains are out for world domination or money or revenge, but in this movie the villains simply want to pull the masses out of the standard assembly line and introduce some level of chance or chaos. Of course most of us still root against the Joker and his plans, but I don't think it was just me who can appreciate the message that too many people follow blindly and have become content with the complete predictability of our every day lives.

Ultimately this movie is the best comic book movie ever made, in my opinion, because it kept me on the edge of my seat, kept me laughing (wanna see a magic trick?), got me thinking about my life and the lives of those around me and made me want more and more and more. Marvel has produced many excellent movies, and if this were a debate regarding which label made the most great comic book movies, Marvel would win hands down; but since we are talking about who makes the best movies, I would have to argue that DC and Christopher Nolan hold that honour purely because of The Dark Knight.

http://www.newsarama.com...
http://ca.ign.com...
http://www.darkhorizons.com...
http://www.independent.ie...

I look forward to reading my opponent's arguments. Best of luck!
TheRealNerdyBoy

Pro

In my defense I would like to say the topic asks which company makes the best movies, not movie. So while Batman may have been topping the charts, none of DC's other hits could follow, as Marvel took up the majority of the spots on the top comic book movies you have presented to me. Marvel also performs the best overall in the Guiness World Records, and on their top ten list Marvel owns the majority of spots. Marvel Comics also has the highest grossing comic book movie of all-time, and on a list of the highest grossing movies of all time, Marvel has the majority of comic book movies. I believe Marvel Comics makes better comic book movies because they are generally more exciting and action packed and with a lot of humor, on contrast with series such as Batman, which have an overall more dark and gritty story. Here are some links to the lists used in my argument. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Saska

Con

Thank you to my opponent for his arguments. First, I will say that my opponent and I may be looking at this question in two different ways. My opponent seems to have meant that Marvel makes the most great comic-based movies out of all of the different labels; or maybe Marvel makes more great comic-based movies than any other label. I, on the other hand, interpreted this as though Marvel simply makes the best comic-based movies.

If we are going by the first couple definitions, I would have to concede to my opponent that he is correct. No one can argue that Marvel makes more great comic-based movies than any other label. But if we are arguing the latter definition, as it is written in the title of this debate, I think my argument holds up. We can define 'best' as "Of the most excellent or desirable type or quality" [1]. I think the overall debate topic is rather vague though. Best is a relative term, meaning that if something is considered the best, there must be something to compare it to; something that it is better than. So what are we comparing here? Are we comparing all Marvel movies versus all DC movies versus all other comic-based movies? If so, is the best then the group with the most good movies? Or are we saying that the best Marvel movie is better than the best DC movie, etc?

My opponent also points out that Marvel has the highest grossing comic-based movie of all time. While he is completely accurate in stating this, I will again argue that this is a misleading statistic. Look at the other movies near the top. Notice that movies like Iron-man 3, Spider-Man 3, The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) and many other sequels and series finales are at the top. Most people will agree that these movies are not better than their precursors. Iron-man is held in much higher regard than #3. Spider-Man 1 and 2 are considered to be way better than 3. My point is that gross earnings does not tell us how good a movie is. Most people go see it in the theatres because of the hype; because of the marketing that was done leading up to the release. Sequels and trilogies tend to gross higher because the success of the precursors do much of the marketing work for them. So the Avengers grossing higher than other films isn't necessarily because it is better than them; it's likely because all the fans of Iron-man and Thor and Captain America and The Hulk were willing to pay money to see what is basically one huge sequel to all of those movies. I am not saying the Avengers is not a good movie; just that the gross earnings can be a misleading stat.

I want to end this round by stating that my interpretation of this debate claim was that Marvel makes the best comic-based movies. My goal is to show that while they make SOME of the best comic-based movies, there are other groups out there that also make some of the best comic-based movies. Marvel hasn't monopolized the market of comic-based movies, and so they do not hold claim to all of the best comic-based movies out there. Movies like The Dark Knight, 300, Sin City, Kick A$$, etc. are included on most lists of the best comic-based movies of all time and Marvel did not make these, so Marvel does not make all of the best comic-based movies.

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
TheRealNerdyBoy

Pro

TheRealNerdyBoy forfeited this round.
Saska

Con

As I've already had one extra round than my opponent, and now given that my opponent has forfeited the final round, I will not add any addition arguments, rebuttals or conclusions. I just ask voters to remember to vote for the debate, not just for their opinion of the topic at hand.

Thank you for taking the time to read this debate.
Posted by TheRealNerdyBoy 2 years ago
TheRealNerdyBoy
No, its fine. You can have the final word. Unless you don't want to, I am fine with either. I think I am about to sleep so tomorrow will probably be the best time. I give you the best of luck!
Posted by Saska 2 years ago
Saska
I promise I'm not a troll. Most debates I get into regard religion and politics, so I look forward to discussing something more light hearted. I'll get my first argument posted some time tomorrow. I can leave my last round if you'd like, so that I don't get both the first and last word.
Posted by TheRealNerdyBoy 2 years ago
TheRealNerdyBoy
Well, I am hoping this will be fun, because my last debate got ruined by a troll. You can do whatever, I am good with anything. I dont mind you debating first.
Posted by Saska 2 years ago
Saska
Before I start my argument, should I use round 1 purely for acceptance or begin my argument right away? I look forward to this debate. It should be fun.