qopel
GarretKadeDupre

Does Obama Hate America?

qopel

qopel

Con

I hear the claim that Obama hates America, but I never see any evidence to back that claim up. So where's the evidence?
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Barrack Obama quotes:

In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. (1)

It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations. (2)

I quote Joan Swirsky: (3)

In just the first 100-days of his tenure, Obama’s words and actions have demonstrated that he is no friend of the country he leads. This is only a smattering of what happened on his recent three-continent trip abroad and to Mexico:

• In France, Obama told his audience that America “has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive” toward Europe.
  • In Prague, Obama – in true utopian-kindergarten fashion – pledged “with conviction” that America will “seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons.” In other words, destroy big bad America’s ability to defend itself!
  • In London, Obama made clear that the world’s financial wealth was no longer made by those inferior leaders Roosevelt and Churchill, effectively ceding America’s leading role in creating and sharing wealth to nations that have never measured up to our country’s bountiful generosity or spirit of free-market entrepreneurship.
  • In Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Obama sat passively while the Marxist Chavez handed him an American-bashing book and delivered another revile-America speech, while never once rising to defend our country.
  • In Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Obama again sat passively while the Marxist Ortega blamed the United States for a century of what he called terroristic U.S. aggression in Central America, again emitting not a whisper of defense on our country’s behalf.
  • In Turkey, Obama said – incredibly and inaccurately – that America was not a Christian nation.
  • And in his recent trip to Mexico, Obama said that the escalating border violence was essentially America’s fault.

(1) http://www.whitehouse.gov...
(2) http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com...
(3) http://www.canadafreepress.com...
qopel

Con

PRO is trying to equate quotes from President Obama with a hatred for America.

Let's examine each one.

"In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world."
This a generalization by the president. I can't tell what the President really
meant by this, however, it would be hard to prove that he said it out of hate
for the USA. If anything, he was trying to point out that America is not the
only country that influences the world.

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter,they cling to guns or religion
or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment
or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
This is our president describing how many Americans are reacting with frustration
to our current economic situation. This quote seems to be taken out of context, so
I can't really explain who he's referring to under what circumstances. Since
I'm not the one claiming it was said out of a hatred for America, I will leave the
burden of proof on my opponent to provide evidence that it this quote was based on
a hate for the USA.

In France, Obama told his audience that America "has shown arrogance and been dismissive,
even derisive" toward Europe.

George W. Bush created a poor image of America to the rest of the world by showing
arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive" toward Europe. This quote, seems to be
our current president admitting that fact and trying to create better relations with
Europe by the faults of his predecessor. It has nothing to do with a personal
hate for America.

In Prague, Obama " in true utopian-kindergarten fashion " pledged "with conviction" that America will
"seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons."
In other words, destroy big bad America"s ability to defend itself!

When my opponent says "in other words", he is trying to make his own interpretation of the
president's words. It is a fact that the could war has officially been over for over a decade.
The United States has more nuclear weapons than any other country (besides Russia) on the planet.
http://www.fas.org...
The United States also has the largest military would be able to defend itself, even with a fraction of
it's current nuclear weapons.
http://www.globalfirepower.com...
You can only blow the entire world up once. The rest of of the nuclear weapons are redundant and unnecessary.
The use of nuclear weapons should always be a last resort, since there would be no winner in a global thermo-nuclear war.
The president was right to say America will "seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons".
Those are words of a sane and rational man, not one of a hatred for America.

In London, Obama made clear that the world"s financial wealth was no longer made by those
inferior leaders Roosevelt and Churchill, effectively ceding America"s leading role in creating
and sharing wealth to nations that have never measured up to our country"s bountiful generosity
or spirit of free-market entrepreneurship.

This is not a quote, just a claim without evidence.

In Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Obama sat passively while the Marxist Chavez
handed him an American-bashing book and delivered another revile-America speech,
while never once rising to defend our country.

First, there is no proof that this is what happened. If this claim is true, it only
proves that our president is an amazing diplomat when it comes to dealing with
unreasonable and hostile foreign leaders. His passiveness, does not represent a
hatred for America. It represents an enormous amount of restraint. A hostile reaction
by the President would not have been beneficial to the world image of the United States
and sitting passively, did not put the USA is any harm or danger.

In Turkey, Obama said " incredibly and inaccurately " that America was not a Christian nation.
The fact that America is not a Christian nation is very accurate.
http://www.infidels.org...

And in his recent trip to Mexico, Obama said that the escalating border violence was essentially America"s fault.
Most of the guns used in the border violence originate from the USA, so, in fact it is America's fault.
http://www.theworld.org...
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

GarretKadeDupre forfeited this round.
qopel

Con

My opponent has forfeited his round and has failed to prove that any of the president's actions constitutes hatred for America.

Vote for who made the better argument.
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Sorry for the forfeit. I make a full concession.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
But I suppose he already knows that. Garret, you won soundly, don't worry about it. :)
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
> Your arguments weren't sound.

You voted 7 points against Garret without providing an RFD. That is called a vote bomb on this site, hence your vote being countered moments later.
Posted by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
Not a bomb. Your arguments weren't sound.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
qopel, I have no sympathy for you. You vote-bombed my "Catholicism is harmful to society" debate.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
No, all VBs were countered. The VB by drcatdaddy was countered by wrichcirw, the VB by Magic8000 was countered by imabench, and the VB by BennyW was countered by 1dustpelt.

With respect to legitimate votes, you are losing 9-0.
Posted by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
I'm still losing my "Something needs to be done about vote bombs" debate due to vote bombing.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
If you get votebombed, simply report it, and someone will counter it. That's what happened in your "Something needs to be done about vote bombs" debate.
Posted by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
My opponent made a a full concession, and I bet will get vote bombed and lose again, anyway.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
I have to send my comp to Toshiba for repair. It won't be back for at least 2 weeks. Sorry. I'm on my PS3 and just typing a sentence takes 4ever, much less paragraphs and research. The PS3 browser is horrible.
Posted by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
Maybe he can use a computer at a public library or something. I don't like to "win" like this.
Vote Placed by proglib 4 years ago
proglib
qopelGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro unfortunately had to concede. I would have loved to read this debate. Maybe when Garret gets his computer again you two will give it another go?
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
qopelGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession due to laptop issues. Also, Con had reasonably rebutted each of Pro's arguments. There is no valid interpretation other than Con wins.