ChaseE
Plain

Does Pure Evil Exist?

ChaseE

Pro

The fact is, we live in a very dangerous world, and I can pull from a number of different arguments. My religion tells me that pure evil cannot exist, but personally, it has to. Using the elephant in the room, let's discuss genocide. These are perfect examples of pure evil because there was such a lack of humanity on such a large scale. In fact, totalling every genocide in the 20th century, from the Armenians to Rwanda, roughly 19 million people lost their lives. These were innocent people who did no wrong. How can you say pure evil does not exist?
Plain

Con

Hi this is my first debate and i am only 13. But i believe that pure evil doesnt exist. Think about terrorists, they dont kill people because its fun. They do it for their Religion. Murdurers get some sort of pleasure from hurting people, robbers are making money, Bullies try to act cool. Nobody is truly evil. They do it all for different reasons. remember this is my first Debate so it may not be very good!
ChaseE

Pro

OK, but the fact of the matter is pure evil exists. Sure, you've got terrorists and bullying, things generally considered "bad." If I hit someone, I get in trouble. But these are different degrees of evil. Think about it. You wouldn't know that teal is a shade of blue unless you knew what blue is. Blue is the original color, and teal is a shade of blue. It's the same concept here. Killing millions of people isn't the same as punching someone. In the justice system, a thief won't serve the same sentence as a serial killer because of the differing degrees of evil. But because we call these different degrees of acts "evil" means that there has to be an original evil out there, a pure evil
Plain

Con

Yes i agree, now lets talk about something bigger. Hitler.
Hitler killed millions of Jews and stuff like that. But he didnt do it because he liked killing people, he didnt like people standing in his way or just didnt like the Religion. He also had to do this to get all of his power. Evil is a very strong word like love. liking and loving is very very different and its like that. Being mean and cruel is not being evil. Think about big things in history that killed many people. It all happened for reasons like Religions, Power, wealth and stuff like that. Nobody is evil because they are evil. Everyone that is evil has a reason like being abbused as a child and family member losses. Thankyou!
ChaseE

Pro

I understand what you are saying, but there's a small problem. If everyone did everything for a reason, and not of their own volition, then should we hold them accountable? Hitler wanted power, so he killed 11 million people in the Holocaust. If he's not truly evil because if he "had a reason," then why should we even bother putting people in jail? You can argue that someone had a motive when they committed a crime blame the motive, not the person. But then nothing good comes from it. The mature people, when they mess up, they go back, apologize, and try to fix it. They don't say "Oh, it was just because I wanted money." And we as a society would never say "Oh, this guy, who killed seven people for their money, all he wanted was their money. We shouldn't blame him." No! Motive is never used in an honest defense in any trial, and if it is, it's a weak defense. People need to be accountable for their actions. What you're proposing is that people cannot govern themselves, which is asinine. Motives do not rule over people.
Plain

Con

Yes but you don't get put into jail because you are evil, your put into jail because of your actions. Your actions are bad but it doesn't mean that inside your pure evil. Let's say I was a very good and pure person. Just because I stole ten dollars off my friend doesn't mean that I am evil. It means that what I did, my action was bad, possibly a bit evil. There is no such thing as pure evil as everything happens for a reason, everyone has a good side and because of all of my arguments.
Posted by psif 1 year ago
psif
Josef Mengele

This may change your opinion about "pure evil".
Not an accusation, but education. People are disturbed and broken, there is an explanation no doubt.
"Evil" implies a philosophical arena, therefore it is open to interpretation.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
No. Only rational behawior...In a given inner and outer context.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Evil is an action, evil as an outside force is irresponsible.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
islam.
Posted by Bruntru 1 year ago
Bruntru
I agree with con that people cannot be purely evil nor purely good, due to the fact that humans have many cognitive biases, one of which leads us to believing that people such as Hitler are purely evil. In many studies, people often reject to believe that Hitler had really good friendships with children, while it is clear evidence that not all of his actions were evil. Personally, I believe that humans are neither good nor evil, as all of our actions are fully influenced either by other's actions to us (which is not our responsibility) or by our genetics (which is also not our responsibility.)

On the other hand, I agree that an action can be purely evil, such as murder or theft. Even if there can be a justification, the action has a negative effect on the society as a whole. Therefore, the person carrying out the action cannot be considered as evil, while the action itself can.