Disa6060
chagak

Does Rap music have a negative affect on the youth?

chagak
Started: 9/26/2014 Category: Music

Disa6060

Pro

Rap music is very explicit and influencing the youth. Many teens listen to rap music, but don't listen to the lyrics. When they do, they become more and more attached to the song and the rapper. The youth then starts to change/ act out. A lot of rap songs talk about money, killing and sex. When teens hear this, they tart focusing more on sex, money and killing. This is also a reason why much of the youth are in gangs, going to jail and getting killed.
chagak

Con

I'll accept this debate. While I can appreciate the instigator's viewpoint, the same was said of rock and roll 50 years ago. To paint an entire genre of music with a such a broad brush is inaccurate. For every negative, there is a positive. I will wait until the next round to expand my argument. Thank you.
Disa6060

Pro

Disa6060 forfeited this round.
chagak

Con

I am sorry my opponent has forfeited this round. However as promised, I shall briefly expand my argument.

I"ve always hated the fact that most commercial/mainstream rap music promotes negative images and messages as well as how it impacts young impressionable minds. It is disturbing. So, to counteract this, I expose my young nieces and nephews, for example, to pioneers and iconic hip-hop artists as well as new underground and independent rappers, of whom most of them have never heard before. Some of these artists include: Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Kool Moe Dee, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Common, Tupac, Dead Prez, and One Be Lo (just to name a few).

I await your response.
Disa6060

Pro

Disa6060 forfeited this round.
chagak

Con

I'll skip this round so that my opponent may counter.
Disa6060

Pro

Disa6060 forfeited this round.
chagak

Con

With the opponent again forfeiting, I shall continue with my stance. When hip-hop was born around the late 70's-early 80's, it was embraced as something positive and also used as a culture of rebellion against the harsh living conditions of the streets. It valued the creativity and experience of both men and women equally. Now, unfortunately, corporations sell the idea of ignorance while erring away from enlightenment or substance. I would argue that multi-billion-dollar companies are only about half to blame for the mainstream's disinterest in the architects of such a revolutionary musical movement. The other half is merely close-mindedness in the fans themselves.

I shall conclude my argument in the final round.
Disa6060

Pro

Disa6060 forfeited this round.
chagak

Con

In conclusion, true hip-hop has the ability to create a culture that encourages unity and intellectual thoughts. Society in general and a lack of respect for people is what causes problems, not a genre of music.
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
I am also waiting with eager anticipation for Disa6060 to post her arguments to a debate that she instigated two days ago with me. It would have been nice if she had made her share of arguments there before starting this new debate.
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
Disa6060 has a steep uphill task ahead of him/her hahaha, to suggest that rap music is a reason for the youth being "in gangs, going to jail and getting killed" is really... uhm... tough to prove, to say the least
Posted by PedoStyle 2 years ago
PedoStyle
nigga...u gay
Posted by Terridax 2 years ago
Terridax
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man...
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Disa6060chagakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture