DerrickJr
Massive0

Does School Work & Grades Determine Intelligence ?

Massive0

DerrickJr

Con

To me I feel like grades don't determine your intelligence. I feel that the amount of work a person does determines their work ethic. Someone who's really smart could fail classes all because their lazy while someone who's really slow with comprehending something could get higher grades because they try Harder.
Massive0

Pro

Salutations to my opponent and all those who will be following this debate closely. I will present my argument whilst noting that the instigator did not provide the definition of intelligence hence I will take it upon myself to do so. According to the Merriam Webster online dictionary, intelligence is the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations[1]. In the light of that definition, intelligence might differ greatly with society regards as genius. Now, my stance is that schoolwork does determine intelligence but it is not the only means to see if a person possesses exceptional acumen. One question I want to pose to my opponent is that if schoolwork does not determine intelligence then what does?
[1] i.word.com/idictionary/intelligence
DerrickJr

Con

To answer your question something as a IQ test is shown to determine someone's intelligence, as the definition says that intelligence is the ability to learn or understand new or trying situations something like a IQ test will test that persons brain ability, another reason I think school work does not determine intelligence is because school is subject based, everything your learning in school ov course has to do with the subject or class your learning it in.
Massive0

Pro

My opponent has taken a myopic stance towards this debate. I clearly said that school is not the only place where exceptional acumen can be observed but it is one of the places. Never, unless in the rare cases of those with Autistic Savant Syndrome, has anyone showed exceptional talent in school and gone on to be a complete buffoon in the real world. The mere fact that someone is not lazy when it comes to school shows a certain level of intelligence because a person who is mentally, not academically, but mentally gifted knows that education is the easiest way to a good life. My opponent seems not to comprehend the fact that if one can understand the subject matter taught in class, then that person possesses some amount of intelligence. Forgive me for the unusually short length of my argument but my opponent gave me no points to crush.
DerrickJr

Con

DerrickJr forfeited this round.
Massive0

Pro

My argument still stands.
DerrickJr

Con

DerrickJr forfeited this round.
Massive0

Pro

Vote pro, con violated debate etiquette by forfeiting not once, but twice. My arguments have not been countered so they still hold water.
Posted by moneystacker 2 years ago
moneystacker
Con you chose a terrible topic for con. You know what would have allowed you to win? If you changed it to this does school determine wisdom.

Easy win their school doesn't determine wisdom just intelligence preety much honesetly. Not only that but pro had unique arguments anyway
Posted by StarHunter 2 years ago
StarHunter
Intelligence is such a nebulous concept. Con messed up by not taking initiative and defining it.
Posted by Zeno2014 2 years ago
Zeno2014
Memory is not the main factor to intelligence. Practice, hard work, focus and passion are more important than memory. You can't memorize without practice. You need to work hard to practice. You need to focus to work hard. And you need to be passionate about something to focus on it. Memory is just an added advantage that some intelligent people have. People with amnesia and short-term memory loss are not necessarily stupid.
Posted by yagami 2 years ago
yagami
School (obligatory school) tests memory. Before you begin you're a levels (uk) all you need to do is remember what you've been taught. An iq test however does not require any previous knowledge.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Mister is right, most of it is memory and a strong memory is often an assumed attribute of a strong intelligence. I like to distinguish between Educated and Intelligent. A person with allot of knowledge is educated, a person who can solve problems quickly and efficiently is intelligent. You can be intelligent without being educated and you can be educated without being particularly intelligent, and you can be intelligent and educated. Making good grades only means you are obtaining knowledge (assuming you remember what you learned), so it doesn't really say anything about your intelligence. Now if the classes were different and required you to solve problems with only a rudimentary knowledge of the subject, then that will measure your intelligence. Schools usually don't do this though.
Posted by Zeno2014 2 years ago
Zeno2014
Einstein once asked whether a fish's ability to climb a tree determine it's intelligence?
I hope viewers see where I'm trying to get at here. An athlete can be intelligent when it comes to his/her sport, but a complete dunce when it comes to piano. Similarity a pianist might play complex pieces in hi/her sleep, but can't play sports for their life . So does school mathematics determine the intelligence of an art student. Or does the art grade of a mathematician determine how intelligent he/she is? We are all intelligent when it comes to our own field.

These are the words of Zeno.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
Doing well in school is almost 100% memory. If you have a good memory, you're set.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
DerrickJrMassive0Tied
Vote Placed by moneystacker 2 years ago
moneystacker
DerrickJrMassive0Tied
Reasons for voting decision: nothing needed to be said was a obvious pro vote. Pro did better in every category.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
DerrickJrMassive0Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff