gabrielaxyz
vtojnic

Does T.V and Films influence children more than parents?

gabrielaxyz

Pro

Yes; TV and films influence children more than parents in this day and age of technology. Although, I do believe that parents still influence their children, they do not influence them to the extent that TV and films do. Children spend more time watching TV than any other activity, which is why I believe that parents do not have a greater influence than TV. TV is one of the many main sources of media that children first encounter. A TV has become an essential item in most households in America.

TV has both positive and negative influences on children. The positives of TV influence are that it"s entertaining and educational. There are countless educational TV shows for many children age groups with the purpose of teaching the alphabet, music, colors, numbers, sharing, cooperation with others and animals, different language and etc. For example Yo Gabba Gabba teaches the basic preschooler themes like music, dance, shapes, colors, sharing, healthy eating, responsibility, and good manners. The negatives of TV influence often related to children obesity; TV viewing time takes away from physical activity time. Another negative is that TV shows and commercials usually show violence, alcohol, drug use and sex in a positive light. Children are like sponges, they absorb all sorts of information. If they are exposed to negative influences or thoughts it leaves early impressions that could affect their grown-up behavior.

The biggest influence in films for children is Disney. There is a multi-billion dollar industry based on these films. The most recent concept for Disney was the "Disney Princesses" which consists of different female characters from Disney movies such as: Snow White from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Aura from Sleeping Beauty, Ariel from The Little Mermaid, Cinderella from Cinderella, Jasmine from Aladdin, and Belle from Beauty and the Beast. These five female characters teach young girls that they have to be beautiful in order to be saved by a handsome man. For example, Snow White teaches young girls that it may seem terrible to be so beautiful that others want to kill you out of jealousy but as long as your beauty attracts a man, he"ll save you from harm. Aura teaches young girls that as long as their pretty they don"t need to do anything except wait for a guy to come along and save them. Ariel teaches young girls that it"s okay to abandon your family, drastically change your body, and give up your talent in order to get a man; once he sees your pretty face, he will stay by your side. Cinderella teaches young girls that if you"re beautiful enough it will help you escape your life situation by getting a wealthy man to fall in love with you or your looks. Jasmine teaches young girls that as a woman your political worth is reduced to your marriageability. Belle teaches young girls that looks aren"t everything; it"s what in your heart that counts, unless you"re the girl. Girls are taught to use their looks to get what they want. The standard of beauty is big blue/green eyes, White/Caucasian, a tiny waist, and voluptuous hips; and once they find their prince they will always live happily ever after. On the contrary, young boys are taught to be macho, super-strong heroes waiting to rescue girls. Disney teaches extreme gender roles in children that are still evident in their adult behavior.

Regardless if the influence is positive or negative, there is still an influence on children on behalf of TV and films.
vtojnic

Con

TV and films influence children more than parents

Before we get deeper into the discussion let me ask you what is the purpose of being a parent? The purpose, if we can say that way, is to show the right path to next generation-our children. To guide youth, to provide security, to teach kids to differentiate the good from bad. And one of the bad things is the evil of modern life, Television and other media. That is the main cause of people loosing the ouch with reality. When I say people I particularly mean our children. On that note, Parents Television council (PTC) proposed a new set of laws to US Government about higher control of movie rating. It appears, as stated by PTC, that violence and explicit scenes in movies and cartoons have great impacts on children. I know that you will say that that is the proof enough of TV influence, but no. On contrary, Parents realized the threat called Television and they react as protectors and educators, as they are, should.

There are many reasons why I think that parents have and should remain having more influence on children. We are social beings and no electronic box can teach that newborn brain how to develop emotions, how to make friends, how to interact properly with other likewise. Parents teach kids the value of family in life, they teach them how to adopt to a given situation. no TV program can help us to start walking, riding a bike, drive a car. Parents by engaging kids in outdoor activities are the biggest reason why obesity among kids is still in some control. If it weren't them , ratio of obesity would have been greater than we can imagine.

Finally, from my personal experience I can say that I am blessed for having a pretty playful upbringing. TV was not an option for me. My parents and grandparents showed me on many ways how to avoid sitting in front of the TV and waste my childhood. I can say that parents still have a strong influence in child developing.

To conclude, we always tend to choose an easier way to accomplish something. Having kids is not an easy task. That is our future. If we want to have a healthy and bright future we should not allow that menace called TV to take control over our children. We can not have them being guided by violence because that's what they will be practicing in real life. So people, get involved in creating the best and lets get youth out of couches.
gabrielaxyz

Pro

Since a child spends more time watching TV than any other activity. The time spent on t.v. is taken away from doing other activities like schoolwork, exercising, family interaction, and social development. Children learn a lot of information through t.v. and it may or may not be appropriate. Children cannot tell the difference between the staged scripted t.v. show from reality. For example such themes like violence, sex and sexuality, race and gender stereotypes, drug and alcohol abuse are common themes of t.v. programs. For example, if a child watches a lot of violent t.v. shows, they will think that violence is normal and tolerable. Young children are impressionable and they think that whatever is on t.v. is typical, safe, and acceptable.

Another example of how the time spent on t.v. influences children is their eating habits. Children are targets to commercials given during their favored t.v. show. Children are more swayed to choose the foods they see advertised. For example, many children have watched a McDonald commercial and wanted a happy meal. (This happens with other food commercials.) The foods that are shown in those commercials don't promote healthy eating.

Another influence of t.v. advertising is preference of clothing. If a young boy watches only music videos on MTV he will want to wear the clothes or wants to copy the style of the artist they watch on t.v. If a young girl watches "Hannah Montana" she will want to dress up like her t.v idol. And since other kids also watch the same shows, if you wear anything that isn't considered cool or popular on t.v. you're considered an outcast or a loser to your peers.
vtojnic

Con

TV and films influence children more than parents.
round 2

It is absurd discussing the importance of healthy parenting. Leaving kids in front of TV can develop loneliness, social awkwardness and weight problems.

The National Institute of Children Health and Human Development (NICHD) after many research done came to conclusion that parenting influences academic, intellectual and socio-emotional development of children. It is also stated that parenting style and choices that parents are making are very crucial for child"s upbringing. Parents are the one allowing and controlling information kids receiving from TV. They are the one to pick educational path, introducing children with the world, offering them possible thing they might like later in life, showing them and helping them to explore what is out there, games the will enjoy, sports they will play or follow.

I am not denying the influence of educational programs on TV and films but I strongly disagree with argument that TV is talking over parents place in a childhood. My opponent mentioned ferry tale are great entertainment for kids. I agree, but I can not agree with an easy way of escape by placing little ones in front of the screen. My sister have two kids. I happened to be at their house when my sister was telling them a good night story. What was the most interesting thing about it, my neace was asking questions, imagining the pictures, creating whole scenario in her head. This is the way kids developing their brain function.

So for this and many more reasons I can not sit on the side when someone says that TV and films are taking over parents influence on children. Instead of letting people to promote a malice called TV we should spend the same amount of time with our kids.
gabrielaxyz

Pro

"I am not denying the influence of educational programs on TV and films but I strongly disagree with argument that TV is talking over parents place in a childhood." My opponent's stance on the topic.

Not once have I claimed that a parent is being replaced by a t.v. I however believe t.v, films, and media influence a child more than their parents. I'm not suggesting that a parent doesn't have an influence, but that t.v. has a greater one.

For example the first two years of a child's life is where the most brain development happens. If the child is exposed to t.v. at that young age, it interferes with the child exploring, playing, and interacting with his/her parents and others. If the child grows older and still spends too much time on t.v., they don't spend enough time being physically active, reading, playing with friends, and spending time with their family. They usually lack social skills that would have been learned if they spent some time interacting rather than observing a t.v. show.

But, as I stated before t.v. can be a good thing but only in moderation. There are many shows that are for preschoolers that help them learn the alphabet, numbers, etc. Those shows can be very educational and helpful for children.

However t.v. can be very informative about themes that aren't appropriate for children such as violence, brutality, and terror.Children who watch t.v. shows, play video games, or watch movies that have a great deal of violence, they associate violence with entertainment which makes violence acceptable. For example, children who watch their superhero in a fight with the villain on t.v. or film, they praise the victory of their superhero. Any of the violent acts committed by the superhero is acceptable because he/she was successful in the end. This promotes a kind of thinking that "the end justifies the means" in children and it can branch out into their decision making as they grow older.

Kids see favorite characters smoking, drinking, and involved in sexual situations and other risky behaviors in the shows and movies they watch on TV. For example, children who watch t.v. show characters drink and smoke they will want to try to drink and smoke like those characters because they think it's acceptable to do so.
vtojnic

Con

vtojnic forfeited this round.
gabrielaxyz

Pro

gabrielaxyz forfeited this round.
vtojnic

Con

vtojnic forfeited this round.