light17
Faithinme23

Does Television itself have an impact on child 8yrs old and below education and behavior?

Started: 6/15/2015 Category: TV

light17

Pro

As it is proven through the studies of sociology, children are influenced by their environment and significant figures or role models in their lives. In addition to television having an impact on a child's behavior and education, I for one say it can affect a child in both positive and negative ways. Depending on the casted entertainment displayed to the child's eyes will bring result as to how it influences him or her. Even though it may seem like a source for "passing the time," television itself also plays a role in influences young children.
Faithinme23

Con

Before i start my argument it was actually scientifically prove by a psyhologists, known as Albert Bandura, bobo doll experiment. Anyways, I disagree, I do believe, however, that children are heavily influenced like the cliche, "monkey-see monkey-do", but television is not the only thing determining their behavior. There are other factors, such as their communication with their parents, siblings, and friends that can contribute.
light17

Pro

Before I start my agrument as well, the state as to the communication with parents, siblings, and friends having an impact on a child I do agree with. However that has already been implied through significant role models. When considering the cliche, "monkey-see monkey-do" it is the visual images or actions a child sees which may then influence then to copy those facial expressions or actions. Although it maybe true television isn't the only factor that influences a child, for some television is mainly used to distract a child during times of distress to bring ease to the cries. Why? It is the effectiveness off this method in drawing in a child's attention that makes it reliable and in doing so we are allowing television to place an influence.
Faithinme23

Con

How has a child communication with parents, siblings, and friends already been applied? It did not say that in the question, here let me help, the question most clearly states, "Does Television itself have an impact on child 8yrs old and below education and behavior?", ill repeat 'does Television ITSELF", inferring that not only television which is why i stated communication with family members and friends helps molds a child being. So it does not in fact imply that matter, unless you stated that in the debate question, which you did not. Secondly, the cliche "monkey-see, monkey-do does not only rebute to television., their surrondings help them produce their actions as well. Yes, television is used as a distractor, but please elaborate on how tv influences a young childs behavior? Because it may in certain instances but so does other factors. Like you said " the state as to the communication with parents, siblings, and friends having an impact on a child I do agree with". Thank you very much.
light17

Pro

I'm sorry to say this but I did say that communication from the family, sibling, and friends was implied through significant role models. Role models can indeed vary depending on person's choice and although it wasn't stated the debate question it was clearly stated in the previous response. Also as for a child's behavior, stated in one of the past response if read carefully. It depended on what was displayed to the child. For channels found inappropriate for a child's eyes, if shown with acts of violence a child could possibly take those actions into developing their behavior. Although parents do have an impact you forget to take into account the parenting skills that are used. If they lack the parenting skills to help correct what a child learns from television then who's to say how the child may act. Of course I'm not saying a child will develop a murderous intent if show murder movies, but instead develop a personality that is either con or pro to the child's development.
Faithinme23

Con

Faithinme23 forfeited this round.