No_Promises
Nails

Does World of Warcraft truly increase the number of virgins in the 18-30 age range?

Con Tied Pro

No_Promises

Con

It has been years since i've played but i believe it has always been an unfair assumption that World of Warcraft ritualistically produces virgins.

----------Contentions-----------

1) My view on this moot has led me to believe that it is not actually the game that is increasing the number of virgins aged 18-30 but, in fact, it is the people who have the characteristics that would be found in those of of a "post-pubescent virgin" are actually drawn to this type of game. They require an outlet to express their emotions whether it be agression, enthusiasm or even excitement, they turn to this game as a form of release that they, due to a probable lack of social skills, do not have otherwise. So it is, in all reality, not the game that is creating the virgins but the virgins that are creating the game.

2) Now i really do believe there is nothing wrong with being a virgin, and in most cases i respect people who uphold strong moral values more valiantly than others. However I believe it is a common misconception that World of Warcraft is filled with virgins, surely it originated from the streotype of the forty year-old dungeons and dragons fanatic living in his mothers basement. Sadly this link with fantasy games and virgins, nerds or "losers" has been carried on to World of Warcraft with no particular evidence.

3) Games such as World of Warcraft are seen as an escape as well. For people who may not be particualrly popular at school or are badly treated at work fantasy games allow them to put themselves in situations where they are the strong ones who everybody looks up to. They may prefer this form of sub-reality compared to their real lives but in no way does that further the chance of them being a virgin simply because they wish to be a strong hero rather than an unloved and unrespected cronie of the "superiors" in their life, even if it is only for an hour or two a day.

I invite anyone who believes they can present a valid point and i look forward to a well argued refutation.

Thanks.
Nails

Pro

My sole contention is that the World of Warcraft creates escapism.

I've never played the game myself, but the experiences I've had with it are not good.

1) I was in a McDonald's a few months back and my friends and I were sitting next to a middle-aged gentleman, probably in his mid-40s. He was on the phone and complaining rather loudly, and we could hear clearly what he was talking about. He was some sort of manager of a computer company and he was fed up with his employees to the point that he just wanted to fire half of them. Among his list of complaints, one of the major ones was that instead of working at their actual jobs, they would start playing World of Warcraft whenever his back was turned. He refered to them using very unpleasant terms, but made it quite clear that they could be considered quite nerdy/geeky.

2) I was in Art for a semester at my school. At one table, all the nerds sat together and, rather than socialize with anyone else or about anything else, they sat and discussed this game day-in and day-out. Needless to say, it didn't help their popularity or social skills.

But don't just take my word for it. A wise man, who, according to his profile, is a 17 year-old from Auckland, New Zealand, [1] once said:

"Games such as World of Warcraft are seen as an escape as well. For people who may not be particualrly popular at school or are badly treated at work fantasy games allow them to put themselves in situations where they are the strong ones who everybody looks up to. They may prefer this form of sub-reality compared to their real lives...simply because they wish to be a strong hero rather than an unloved and unrespected cronie of the 'superiors' in their life, even if it is only for an hour or two a day."

Now, to apply that to his further arguments:

C1) "it is, in all reality, not the game that is creating the virgins but the virgins that are creating the game."

I would argue that it is both. World of Warcraft creates an aweful, vicious circle. [2] Dejected teenagers are drawn in by the ability to escape from reality. Unfortunately, once entangled in the web of the Game, they find themselves further and further removed from their peers and pulled into this virtual world.

Nerdy leads to World of Warcraft leads to more nerdy leads to more World of Warcraft leads to more nerdy...
on and on in a never ending cycle.

C2) "this link with fantasy games and virgins, nerds or 'losers' has been carried on to World of Warcraft with no particular evidence."

My opponent of all people knows that it is quite the contrary! He himself has stated:
"For people who may not be particualrly popular at school or are badly treated at work fantasy games allow them to put themselves in situations where they are the strong ones who everybody looks up to. "

If you've been in high school recently, you know that what CON says is true. This Game is an escape for those who feel outcast by their prepubescent peers. The popular crowd doesn't play the Game; the jocks don't; the cheerleaders don't. The Game is played by those who aren't satisfied with their lives, namely the nerdy loser virgins that CON references.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
No_Promises

Con

I have to apologise but i am going overseas later today and will be unable to continue with the debate. I would like to thank my opponent for a well argued case.
Nails

Pro

What a shame. Have a safe trip!
No_Promises

Con

No_Promises forfeited this round.
Nails

Pro

What's the opposite of Progress?

Congress

Vote Pro!
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
No_PromisesNailsTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
No_PromisesNailsTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
No_PromisesNailsTied