Does a child's mother have any responsibilities to him/her?

A mother should be responsible to her child, because she gave him birth and should help him develop and care for itself until it is capable of doing it by itself.

Should a mother who is a rape victim bear the arbitrated responsibility to raise her child, like it or not? I disagree.

vellyk forfeited this round.

I will provide a few of my arguments:

The Case of the Rape Victim Mother :

If a woman is raped, she should not be forced to bear the responsibility of raising her child, nor should she be guilted and morally bullied into doing so by her peers. In such an occasion, assuming the mother refuses to abort her child, the mother ought to feel free to allow her child to be taken in for adoption by two consenting parents who could not bear a child of their own. Under less malicious terms, in the case of an unexpected pregnancy, the biological mother ought to have the freedom to provide her child to two consenting parents who cannot bear children of their own.

Surrogacy Made Immoral? :

Suppose a woman decides to have children for loving couples who cannot on their own in exchange for some money to make a living with. Considering that such a woman is technically the biological mother of the child, would this make the woman immoral/irresponsible? I would think not - she is actively choosing to undergo the pains of pregnancy, sacrificing her own confort, to provide a child to a loving couple who cannot have children on their own. I think that can be considered a quasi-selfless act, and a very kind one at that.

In many marriages, the wife cannot have children of her own as a result of being infertile. She would be incapable of having children of her own, even with insemination. The only way for such a mother to have a child would be through the exchange made in the manner explained in the previous paragraph.

Responsibility does not exist on its own :

Ultimately, under any circumstances, the mother does not have any responsibility to her child, and this is what makes the mother's decision to have responsibilty for her child such an incredible feat. Not being forced to have responsibility for her child at all, and realizing all of the turmoils she will face as a mother in the future, the mother decides to take responsibility for her child anyway, making a personal, moral decision. This is not a choice which should be made by anyone else but the mother or the father. If it were, it would not be a personal, moral decision, but rather a forced obligation by the powers that be; when you are forced to choose something, you never really chose it, and it would never carry the same moral gravity of actually choosing to be responsible for the child against all odds.

vellyk forfeited this round.

Unfortunately, my opponent has not offered any arguments or counterarguments to support her statement that mothers should be responsible to her child; therefore, my opponent's argument falls.

I have shown with my arguments that my opponent's contention is an unjust assumption and a close minded one at that in the sense that it completely ignores victims of rape as well as surrogate mothers. Furthermore, it implies that mothers should be forced into being responsible for their biological child, or at the very least be bullied into being responsible for their biological child.

A mother should make a personal choice and commitment to being responsible for her biological child, rather than having her peers decide that, as a biological mother, she must automatically have responsibility for her child. I have already shown in my last argument that a personal choice and commitment to being responsible for a child is much, much more valuble than being coerced into it by peers.

As previously stated, my opponent's argument falls. I will not tell the voters who they should vote for, but I will say, If I were voting in this debate, I would vote con.
Posted by Poiyurt 2 years ago
See, saying that the mother has responsibility seems to be self-evident. If you want anyone to take up the debate, you may have to quantify the amount of responsibility, ie "A mother has the responsibility to see her child through to Adulthood."
Posted by Abdab 2 years ago
I would love to take up this debate and play devil's advocate, but A) everyone would side with pro and B) there really is no argument against this as munkhtulgaod said, unless the mother is unfit to care for the child then of course she has responsibility.
Posted by munkhtulgaod 2 years ago
I doubt there would be anyone who would seriously take up this debate. The only argument against this I can think of is if the mother is deemed unfit mentally or physically to care for the child. However, I believe that would become a different debate.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.