YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod
WilliamSchulz

Does abortion "unrape" a woman or girl?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Voting Period

YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Con

Yhe first round is for acceptance.
WilliamSchulz

Pro

Hey there,

Although I agree with the Con side, I want to improve my debating abilities, so I will be playing the Pro side as a devil's advocate.

I would also like to point out that I won't argue that abortion unrapes a woman or girl, I will be arguing that the action taking in justified under the circumstances.

I'm interested to see how this goes, so best of luck to my opponent :).
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Con

So, I have the right to speak on this because I was almost raped to death by a man. If the contraception had failed, I would have chosen life if my psychiatrist would have been willing to treat me during pregnancy. Abortion would not unrape me. Rape victims should be able to choose adoption without their rapist's consent, and many huans are fighting to make this right legal. I only support abortion for the medical health of the mother, but I support absolute contraceptive choice for anyone with a uterus. Would you kill a born human conceived by rape?
WilliamSchulz

Pro

You mention that rape victims should be able to chose adoption without the rapist's consent, which seems fair. However, given the circumstances, the mother should be able to chose death for the child. If the woman was mistreated and abused, then why would she want a child to grow up knowing that he/she was an accident, and was not intended for. No mother should have to experience the pain felt by her child or herself in parenting the child. Therefore, under the circumstances, killing the child is justified to relieve the mother of whatever suffering and pain she may be going through as a result of the rape. The question you ask is interesting, as killing a BORN human is illegal, whereas in the uterus, it is not technically alive yet. It may be growing, sure, but it is not fully human until it experiences the world around it through its own eyes/senses outside the womb. While I agree that rape is wrong and devastating, a child should not have to grow up knowing such pain.
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Con

Would you kill a bon human conceived by rape? If I was a product of rape, should I be dead? I am the product of an abusive marriage, do I deserve the death penalthy? Rape victims can use contraception after the fact. I did, and no conception. I'm of the position that any human organism that has a minimum 46 chromosomes has the right to live unless they threaten the medical health of another. I was friends with a girl conceived by rape. She was awesome.
WilliamSchulz

Pro

Thanks for the argument. I answered your first question in round 2, so check that out. For your second and third question, the question of whether you are dead or not is the choice of the mother, as mentioned in Round 2. Also, can you define for me "threaten the medical health of another." Therefore, let's bring up another point. Suppose the mother was sick with the child concieved by rape. If the mother was going to die giving birth, would it be better to give birth to the child and kill the living mother or abort the child to preserve the life of the mother? Obviously, if the child is not out of the womb, it is not living, so aborting the child would be best to support the medical health of the mother. Therefore, an abortion is justified under the circumstance.

You mention that you were friends with a child concieved by rape. Good for you, but that still doesn't add to the argument that abortion is wrong, it was a mother's choice to allow the child a right to life.
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Con

30 mgs of ulipristal acetate can be used as emergency contraception for any reason, let alone rape. The Compassionate Care For Rape Victims Act protects this right. References include: https://www.youtube.com... , and https://www.youtube.com... respectfully.
WilliamSchulz

Pro

Thanks for the links! However, it was mentioned in the first video that ulipristal acetate is not tested or confirmed to be safe for children under 18. So now, same scenerio, but the child is under 18; would the means be justified be justified? If all my previous statements point to no, then the same will apply here. To bring up a new point, what if the child had disabilities or a terminal illness that would affect them later on in life so that they would eventually succumb from its effects. Wouldn't abortion then be justified so that the child doesn't have to suffer on later in life?

Just as a quick note: For all voters, please vote on the qualifications of the arguments, not by which side I condoned in the first round. Thanks!
YeshuaIsTheOneTrueGod

Con

You cannot prove that abortion unrapes a woman. You cannot travel back in time. I cannot change that I was raped. How would abortion unrape me? I would be a rape victim with a dead baby.
WilliamSchulz

Pro

First off, you didn't mention my question about 18 years and younger. Second, I never argued that abortion unrapes a woman. In round 1, I stated that it was justified under the circumstances. Therefore, you have done nothing to advance your argument. Finally, abortion is nessesary in the lives of us today. Imagine if you were to try to rid abortion with the exception of your one scenario. We would (a) have a lot of unprotected abortions and (b) people making excuses that their abortion fell under the catagory of yours mentioned. Therefore, abortion should be legal for all cases, and in the examples you brought up, abortion would be no different for a healthy woman than a raped woman on the effects on the child. Therefore, judges, vote Pro for a womans choice and to give rape victims autonomy.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 2 weeks ago
Stonehe4rt
I'm not sure anyone would take Pro for this. Like who the heck would think Abortion somehow undoes the fact that a woman was hurt that way.
Posted by arugula278 2 weeks ago
arugula278
what does this even mean?