Themeaman909
fire_wings

Does age matter on this website?

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

Themeaman909

Con

First round is acceptance only, or you automatically forfeit. Forfeiting ONE round of debating results in an automatic loss to the side that forfeited.
fire_wings

Pro

I accept. Arguments in the next round.
Themeaman909

Con

I would first like to give my general reason for choosing con, stereotypes.

1)"Sociology. a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group." ( http://dictionary.reference.com... ).

A stereotype is when you assume that someone/something is a certain way. Everyone uses stereotypes on objects to make their minds work less harder. When we stereotype other people, negative effects may arise. Many people stereotype conservatives as being fat, stupid, pro Americans. This certainly isn't true for many conservatives, but when most people hear the word conservative, they think of this. If quite a few of a certain party acts in a way that is very extremist for their beliefs or customs, than they could become a model for their group's stereotype. Now enough of that, to my argument.

We can all say that infants and toddlers could not participate effectively on this site, so I will not include them in my debate. This actually is not a stereotype, as an infant's/toddler's brain is not fully developed. Have you ever known those people who just never grow up? They can act like overdramatic teenagers at the age of 30 and up. Their age doesn't give an accurate description of their personality. They are not the stereotype, but a non-stereotype. What you would expect a 30 year old to do, is a stereotype. You would expect a farmer to wear overalls. Not all farmers do. So can we safely say that all farmers wear overalls? No we can't, because stereotypes block us from looking deeper into a person's personality. If we apply that many young teens play Call of Duty, but not all of them do, than we can see how someone who is 13 on this site may or may not play this genre of games. Just because your 13 doesn't mean you're ignorant and annoying. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're grumpy and fat. Now that I have most likely embedded this in your skull, time to move on to my next point.

What really does matter besides age? That would be a debaters personality, and this is what defines their character, beliefs, feelings, and motivation. How can you determine a debaters personality. Well their are many ways to do so. The best it to look over their political views, stand on issues, comments section, time on the site, amount of debates, Eol rating, profile comments, and friends. If you also look at their previous debates and their style, than you can see the personality of them. I am not going to tell you about personality and how you find it and all of that. If you need clarification, you can look at psychology websites or books, because personality is so vast and vague to psychologists that I wouldn't have enough characters to talk about it all in this entire debate.

Please consider my points, and I am looking forward to your debate.
fire_wings

Pro

I thank my opponent for his arguments.

Framework

I thank my opponent for this debate.
However this debate is a truism, making me have to win this debate, because it is a truism. BoP is shared.

Arguments

1. Birthday matters

[1] Sign out, and click sign up in the DDO page. There is names, usernames, passwords, and your birthday. It says why is this needed?

" Providing your birthday will help us ensure you receive the best Debate.org experience for your age.

Upon signing up, you will have the option to hide your birthday information on your profile if you want.

For more details on your data and privacy, please visit our Privacy Policy."

What is this? Tells the things of debate.org. This is one category

"To accept new members, we may require information that includes, but is not limited to: email address, first name, last name, birth date, a user-specified username and password, country, state, and city. We primarily use email addresses submitted by members to verify enrollment. Email addresses may also be used in private correspondence with the user for customer service issues. We collect date of birth to help us ensure we provide the right experience for a user's age. All other private information submitted by the user is confidential and will not be disclosed except as required by law or to protect members of Debate.org. Most private information can be updated by the user at any time. Except where you are expressly informed otherwise, we do not sell, rent, share, trade or give away any of your personal information unless required by law or for the protection of your membership."

It says that they collect your birthday for the right experience for the users age. So, age matters in debate.org

[1]
http://www.debate.org...

[2]
http://www.debate.org...

Thank you. This debate is a truism.
Themeaman909

Con

The first question I will ask you is if you read my argument effectively. I think you are only focusing on the site-to-user relationship, and that is possibly a truism. I created this debate and specified in my argument that this debate topic concerns the relationship between debaters/users of the site, and does not utilize the sites interference or actions. I might have needed to be more specific in the topic, but I try to keep my topics somewhat general, so debaters can use a more creative approach. Now that I have hopefully clarified the current obstacle, I will state my argument below.

1). Rebuttal:

You gave a few points, but about the birthday. Even though it relates to age, you told me how the site gives you a better experience for your AGE. Age, does not determine a personality, only a possible stereotyped personality. I stated this in my argument above. The user may be 60 years old, but they could have a stupid, ignorant, and unwise personality, and thus the site could not give them an enjoyable experience like you stated in the quote.

2). Argument points:

This debate could be a truism, but I believe I just proved you wrong with my rebuttal. This debate is NOT a truism, because the statement could be seen in both ways, and not only the pro perspective. I believe you have not made an argument to counteract my previous one, so good luck on that. Also, IT IS NOT a truism, so do not use this in your arguments UNLESS you believe you can prove me wrong on if it is a truism. I strongly do not recommend you try to prove it a truism.

I look forward to your argument.
fire_wings

Pro

Framework

Okay, my opponent has failed to rebut my arguments. I will address them later. BoP is shared. Pro states that he created this debate about debaters/ to users. He never said this, the resolution states that "Does age matter in this website?" This includes debaters/ and users, but also the site also.

Defense

1. Birthday matters

Con states that age does not matter about the personality, but that is true. However Con fails to rebut my point that if you are too young, you cannot get a account on the site. He states about a 60-year-old who can be stupid, or ignorant. Still, that still does not rebut my point that if you are too young, it is impossible to make an account in this site. Even though an old man is still dumb, others might not be, but debate.org thinks that 5-year-olds are too young, and because some people swear. , and they cannot make proper debates. This debate is still a truism because age matters, because you can't sign up if you are like 5. Try making up your birthday to like 2010, you can't sign in. Because of this, age matters, even if you are crazy, and if you match the requirements, you can sign up, when you can't, you can't come to this site.

Rebuttals

This will be short because Con said it was debater/ user, when he never stated that.

First, Con's definiton does not match the link.

Con says that infants or toddlers should not be included. Why? They are a part of humanity, and has age. They should matter. This will be one of my arguments. Pro's arguments are not relevlant, just talking about that toddlers should not be about this debate when they are a part of humanity.

Con says that personality matters. Yes, but sometimes, and mostly, debate.org thinks that 5-year-olds are too young, because that is the average, and typically, most 5 -year-olds cannot behave. There are very small possibilities that a 5-year-old can know debate, and if they make accounts, they will just increase spam.

Arguments

1. Toddlers cannot think

Age matters. Toddlers cannot know about the big issues, political views. This is important in debate.org, and they can ruin few debates. The age matters.

Con's arguments are not relevlant and he is talking about possibilties that are crazy. Age matters, and debate.org is doing this because most young people disbehave.

Than you.

Themeaman909

Con

Rebuttals:

" This includes debaters/ and users, but also the site also."

I am sure it does, but I highly doubt customer support would recognise your age and utilize it. It is just a bot basically.

"However Con fails to rebut my point that if you are too young, you cannot get a account on the site."

You never stated this directly, AND you can get an account no matter what age. You could lie about your birthday, and thus no one would know your true age, just a stereotype age from their personality. Age as the site perceives can be lied about. If someone says they are 110 years old on their profile, than you can tell that they must be lying, but the site doesn't know that, and they can't assume this. You could be 5 years old, and state your age is 100 years old, and we might be able to see through the fib using the personality check, but the site cannot.

" This debate is still a truism because age matters, because you can't sign up if you are like 5."

Okay, you've done it now. you challenged this point when I said not to. Age can matter in personality, but IT IS NEVER a definite for personality. After all, I have met 13 year olds and 17 year olds who are extremely skilled debaters, and 13 year olds that are stupid and immature trolls on the site and in real life. Their age may bias the personality, but it is never a definite. You have ignored my arguments and have stubbornly hung on to the truism point only. You are trying to take "the easy way out" of this debate, but I will not go down with that. Sure the debate goes over age as a topic, but it doesn't matter, personality does. You have to stick to age only because of your position, but I do not have to stick to just age as a point in my arguments, as for I must state what does matter in comparison to age. It is not a truism, because it is technically an opinion. An opinion is not a truism, unless it is comparative of a non opinion mater (which this is not).

"Con says that infants or toddlers should not be included. Why? They are a part of humanity, and has age. They should matter. This will be one of my arguments. Pros arguments are not relevant, just talking about that toddlers should not be about this debate when they are a part of humanity.:

I understand they are apart of humanity, but their brains are not very developed, and most of them can hardly speak or read. This is not a stereotype, because the human species cannot understand language until their brains have developed to 4-5 years. They cannot participate because of their incomplete development. Why not let a toddler apply for a driver's license if they can find some way to reach the pedals and wheels? this is your logic being applied to reality.

" Yes, but sometimes, and mostly, debate.org thinks that 5-year-olds are too young, because that is the average, and typically, most 5 -year-olds cannot behave."

Well than debate.org is stereotyping the 5 year olds. They could be immature. In reality it is not the fact that they are 5 years old that matters, but the fact that they are immature. Thus age does not matter, but maturity and personality do.

"Age matters. Toddlers cannot know about the big issues, political views. This is important in debate.org, and they can ruin few debates. The age matters."

They can ruin debates, but is this really about their age? No, their personality is what ruins debates. Their age contributes to their personality, but the personality is the real problem. Bad parenting can contribute to a badly behaved child, but the child's behavior is the problem that may be accompanied by bad parenting habits.

"Con's arguments are not relevant and he is talking about possibilities that are crazy. Age matters, and debate.org is doing this because most young people disbehave."

That is a stereotype. I have stated this so many times, that age is not a problem, personality is. Age may tip towards personality, but the true problem is personality.

Pros arguments have now been proved irrelevant. They have failed to prove their side. We can all agree IT IS NOT A TRUISM. I have proved con wrong twice on it being a truism, so you may lose conduct points from trying to restate a dying point in your argument. UNLESS YOU HAVE DEFINITE proof which is completely undeniable in all ways to prove it a truism, than you may use it. Remember that I have already proved you wrong twice.

Good luck.
fire_wings

Pro

I thank my opponent for his arguments

Framework

BoP is shared.

Defense

Con's first rebuttal: Yes, the customer support does not recongnize this. However, you cannot sign up in the website, so their is no reason why they need to check about your age. If you are too young, you can't sign up in the site.

Con's second rebuttal: Yes, they can lie their age. But age matters in the site. If you are too young, and you do not lie, you cannot get an account. Even though you can lie your age, this still does not say that age does not matter, it matters if you do not lie on your age.

Con's third rebuttal: Yes personality might be different, however this might be out of 1 person out of a thousand. DDO is doing the average. Like who would think a 5-year-old will know about abortion or smoking ban? Even though personality may be different, this does not mean that what DDO thinks that most 5-year-olds do not know this.

Con's fourth rebuttal: Con says they do not count because they are not developed. However, they have ages, and everything that humans have, but why should they not be included. Your logic is that 60 year olds are smarter than 30 year olds just because they are older.

Con's fifth rebuttal: Age matters also, because the age is making them stereotyped, because they are too young, and their age is too low, they will be immature. The age matters, and the age stereotypes the people by maturity, and personality, making age matter.

Con's sixth rebuttal: Stated above

Con's seventh rebuttal: Stated above

Con's arguments are irrevelant. Even though personality matters, it is the age that makes them steroetyped from maturity and personality. Age matters. Thank you, vote Pro because Con fails to fill the BoP.
Posted by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
Good that the debate tied, I spent not even 5 minutes on each argument.
Posted by BlazingRodent 1 year ago
BlazingRodent
Don't know a name, just remember it.
Posted by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
@BlazingRodent, who?
Posted by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
Oh, rebuttals the next round.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I am discluding newborns because their brains are very undeveloped compared to an 8 year old's brain.
Posted by BlazingRodent 1 year ago
BlazingRodent
@Ulysses, I have seen one 8 year old who set his age at 13 or something.
Posted by UlyssesWake 1 year ago
UlyssesWake
Depends on the individual. Age doesn't matter, but maturity does, and the ability to articulate oneself in a way that others can understand.

The youngest person i've seen on this site is 13, and he seems to be very mature for his age, but his views on certain issues are interesting to say the least:

http://i.imgur.com...
Posted by BlazingRodent 1 year ago
BlazingRodent
Does if you're a newborn.