steveplaysguiola
Womp

Does age matter?

Womp has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

steveplaysguiola

Con

Age does not matter. Age is merely a counter of our time alive. Age is just a number. All of these are true statements. It is often argued that age is legitimate criteria because it is a measure of wisdom and experience. This argument is without foundation. Wisdom does not come with age, nor does stupidity come with youth. I would also like to mention that an argument containing statements like "just because" should be considered invalid, as well as arguments using popular opinion. Only the logic process of your own mind should be valid.
Womp

Pro

In what context does age not matter? Your brain is not fully developed until 25, there is plenty of evidence displaying that age does matter in the context of many things. Of course in terms of sex ,children under the age of like 12 almost certainly cannot even know what they're doing, and even 12 is stretching it. In terms of intelligence, although a lot of kids can be smarter than adults, adults have the potential to be smarter as they're brains actually are fully developed.
steveplaysguiola

Con

You're completely missing the point. The problem is grouping people by age for virtually no reason other than to ease bureaucracy. It's a grossly overlooked form of unethical discrimination. Arguments like yours are similar to many arguments against women's rights, specifically those utilizing the biased studies concerning criteria such as strength and intelligence. In other words, the conclusion that brain development and intelligence directly correlated to each other was an attempt to answer the bigot- like question, "Why are children so dumb?" It is immoral and aggravating to decide that it is in your power to group people, human beings, based upon an external characteristic and proceed to withhold freedom and equality from this group.
Posted by steveplaysguiola 1 year ago
steveplaysguiola
You're not listening. Age is not a legitimate factor. It's the ideal that all people of the same age are the same that is fundamentally flawed. It's a contradiction to human rights to put age restrictions on public privileges. It's irritating to communicate via comments, so I invite you to send me an email.
Posted by BoeingG 1 year ago
BoeingG
You can't juxtapose age arguments with woman's rights because they're in two drastically different poles.

Age, as you said yourself, is merely a measure of time, whereas woman's rights pertain to society and its ideals.

Regardless, age does, in fact, matter a great deal. You can't tell me a 2-year-old child is more educated in the various subjects of an adult because it simply isn't true. At that age, I'd be surprised if they could attain a mortgage, let alone write fluently. You can't tell me that a young adolescent, say 11, knows the dangers of lighting a match in the house. Why? Because neither the 2-year-old nor the 11-year-old are conscious of the positives nor the negatives of doing these things, and thus why age is more than "just a number."
Posted by steveplaysguiola 1 year ago
steveplaysguiola
You can't be honest about a fact. If you're being honest, I assume that you are implying opinion. Also, thank you for your comment of infinite wisdom that I'm sure took you several seconds to conclude. Maybe study a little bit and then think instead of relaying the popular opinion like a broken record.
Posted by What50 1 year ago
What50
Well to be honest stebeplaysguiola adults most of the time are smarter than kids due to having more developed brain.
Posted by What50 1 year ago
What50
Posted by steveplaysguiola 1 year ago
steveplaysguiola
Thank you for being open-minded about this topic. I am aware of the term ageism, but I don't like to use it because it's most often associated specifically with discrimination against people over 40 in the workplace. I'll check out that paper. Thanks.
Posted by romanpiso 1 year ago
romanpiso
It appears that you are speaking of 'Ageism'. Like 'Racism' and stereotyping people.

I do think that people today are more informed, have more knowledge and as a result, more intelligent at an earlier age than in the past; due to technological advances and their access and exposure to much more information today than in past generations. Think about the subject of Epistemology.

And it is true that being older does not mean that one is smarter or more intelligent. For what it's worth, this is a paper that may shed some light upon this:

The Point Of Rational Thought
http://www.academia.edu...