Does being attractive typically make you more selfish?

Let me just start out by say that being attractive doesn't automatically make you selfish, but I do believe that when you think that you are attractive that is when the self centered behavior and mind set originates. By just taking a walk around town you can tell which people think that they are hot stuff, and which do not. Let me just ask you if you have ever seen a person with that mindset ever open the door for anyone besides an equally attractive female? I can tell you I have not. Attractive people feel like since they are prettier or more handsome than someone that they are entitled to the world kissing their butt. I am a firm believer in the statement the "All men (and women) are created equal. It makes me sick because we allow these attractive people to think that this kind of selfish behavior is acceptable. For example an attract girl getting off with a warning while an unattractive girl gets a ticket. Now this may be an unrealistic and stereotypical situation, but let me give you something that I experience for myself, and witnessed more than once during my high school career. Those girls in my high school that were attractive, and knew that they were attractive would consistently be asked on dates by boys. I would be surprise if a few girls in my high school ever paid for their own meal. By these boys continuously asking them out, it confirms in their unintelligent heads that they are 1) Hot stuff and 2) Why date a single boy and get off the market if you could date them all and never have to pay for anything ever. As I know I may sound pretty prejudice against attractive people it is true. The only people that cause me any heartache or insecurities in high school were the self centered, attractive people. And the reason they made me feel that way is they selfish and didn't think about what they were saying or doing, or how it made me feel. They didn't believe I was attractive enough to have feelings.

As the instigator, and the one who has made the positive claim, my opponent has the full burden of proof. I dont have to prove attractive people are not selfish. Unfortunately, he has not offered any empirical evidence, only his opinion. Because he has not offered any evidence, we should reject his claims out of hand. My opponent now has two rounds left to offer some evidence.

Let me begin this round by by making the debated topic clear. For starters let me define a few words. Below are the words in the topic that I felt needed a benchmark definition. I took the liberty of also including the source in which I found these definitions.

Attractive- appealing to look at; sexually alluring.

Typically- normal for a person, thing, or group : average or usual

Selfish- having or showing concern only for yourself and not for the needs or feelings of other people

My opponent stated in the previous round that I had no evidence to support my opinions, I apologize to the voter for not giving any evidence but ask that my opinion still be taken into consideration in the final vote. This round however I have 2 articles that prove that attractive people are typically more selfish.

This is a CNN article about Justin Bieber who many would say fits my definition of attractive. If you read the article I becomes very clear that Mr. Bieber hasn't the slightest respect of the law. Which one might say is a very selfish in accordance with my definition of course.

This second article I found describes Kim Kardashian who many would agree also fits my definition of attractive. You article states that Ms. Kardashian put up her clothes on the internet for a "charity auction". As you continue to read you will see that only about 10% of the profits of the so called charity auction actually went to charity. Ms. Kardashian's action would show that she wasn't thinking of other's needs when conducting this auction therefore making this a selfish act. Need more proof? Here is a definition of being generous:

Generous- freely giving or sharing money and other valuable things

I am glad to see my opponent has at least tried to offer evidence to support his claim. Unfortunately, he has only offered anecdotal evidence. In a world with 7 billion people, he has only given us examples of TWO allegedly attractive people being selfish. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that the sample size is too small to trust the results. Therefore, voters should still not accept my opponent's claims since they cannot be trusted.

To prove his claims to be not trustworthy, I will offer THREE examples of attractive people being UNselfish.

1. Leonardo DiCaprio. Just this month he unselfishly addressed the United Nations on the subject of climate change. He didn't have to do so. Therefore it was unselfish of him.[1]

2. Charlize Theron. Just last week she wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal decrying the situation in South Africa. This was unselfish. [2]

3. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. They unselfishly adopt children from poor, war torn areas. [3]

I would like to start the final round be pointing out that my opponent has given no definition for what his definition of unselfish is. I'd also like to make the voter aware of the possibility that these celebrities knew that by doing these "unselfish" acts, they would make front page news; and doings these acts for the sake of good publicity would match my stated definition of being selfish. I believe this makes my opponents so called counter argument void, and now that we have reached the resolution round I don't believe that my opponent has made any argument up to this point. I'd like to take one last chance to thank the voter for reading this debate and would ask them to please take all 3 of my rounds into consideration.

I'd be happy to offer a definition of unselfish Unselfish: Not selfish; disinterested; generous; altruistic. [4]. Since my opponent didn't post any rules for this debate, I know it's OK for me to do this now.

Also notice that AGAIN my opponent has made a claim without offering any evidence. He simply wants us to assume that attractive people are selfish.

Remember, as the instigator, and the one who made the positive claim, the full burden of proof rested with my opponent. Unfortunately for him, he hasn't offered any trustworthy evidence. Out of a world population of 7 billion people, he only offered examples of TWO people allegedly being selfish. As a result, he.has failed to meet the burden of proof. I have won.

Please vote Con.

Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
And he is STILL the instigator, so he STILL has bop.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
I absolutely made a case. I offered three examples that.provided evidence.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
The resolution is a question. That means that each side must present a positive case, with PRO answering yes and CON answering No. I'm not going to vote, but this is worthy of note.

Only when the resolution is a statement can a request for affirmation of BoP be made. That is to say, PRO is not the only one who has BoP since the resolution is a question. In fact, both debaters are making a claim. CON didn't really acknowledge that. If I were to vote, arguments and conduct would go to PRO, given CON's failure to make a positive case, and the burden of proof issue.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
I would like to debate you on this.
Posted by Luie 2 years ago
What is your definition of "attractive", and how does that definition make the behavior of that type of attractiveness "typical" (I assume by "typical", you mean typical within society as a whole. Unless you're speaking specifically about high-schools.)?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: BOP was not met.
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Sadly, this was just not argued well enough to me a BoP threshold. Though con would have been better served to demonstrate un-attractive people acting selfish, I think. Probably would find greater numbers, too.