Devishjack
JimShady

Does believing in a religion benefit people?

Devishjack has forfeited round #2.

Devishjack

Con

To start off and argument I hear a lot is "without the Bible we would have laws". That not true at all. Our brains are made to not want to kill others unless for survival. And let's go with the other point I like to make a lot when I get asked this, "well my religion doesn't say anything bad in it. Well if your religion is Christianity you're in for a shock. At one point in the Bible it is said that a girls has to marry her rapist if a baby is made. And if you believe in the Quran well I don't really have to say much besides how it says Allah hates gays and all gays shall die. Which those to things don't sound very beneficial for people. And with those being the two main religions that would be pretty bad if we went by what they said to a "T".
JimShady

Pro

To begin with, I think you meant to say "without the Bible, we would not have laws." I also think that's not true, as there were societies with laws before the Bible. However, I think that religion does in fact benefit people in their morals and the way to live. For example, Buddhism practices the Noble Eightfold Path, which encourages the right way to view things, the right way to speak, correct conduct, and other good morals that benefit people.

While I do question some of the things in the Bible, I also agree with a big chunk of it. For example, the Beatitudes, which encourages mercy, justice, and peace.

So while religion has been known in the past to cause wars and discriminate against certain peoples, I think without it we would be in a much worse situation, sort of like a survival-of-the-fittest scenario. Religion gives us something to hope for and gives us morals that otherwise would be much less-prevalent or even non-existent in a non-religious society. To say that religion does not benefit people though is just false.
Posted by JimShady 4 months ago
JimShady
@missmedic: You can't know for sure if any Gods don't exist. Your claim that they don't seem to care about us is immensely arguable, if you are up to it.
Posted by JimShady 4 months ago
JimShady
@MrBurns2017: Of course that would be your opinion; you are a closed-minded atheist who is unwilling to attempt to seek truth. Maybe actually TRY to learn something from it, and you will find more than just a good read.
Posted by missmedic 4 months ago
missmedic
You can't know for sure if any gods exist and, even if they do, they don't seem to care about us enough to justify worrying about them. Neither the existence nor the non-existence of gods is important, thus neither belief in nor denial of gods is important.
Posted by MrBurns2017 4 months ago
MrBurns2017
... Yeah, religion benefits you cause it is based on books bible/torah/quran... Learning from those books has great benefts. Benefits that exist in other different books such as a Harry Potter, Alice in the wonderlands and lord of the rings.
You learn some vocabulary, improve comprehension, knowledge, then you realize it is all fairy tails and you have wasted quite a bit of your time, and it is time to watch the Simpsons or read another book like the 'God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins.
Posted by JimShady 4 months ago
JimShady
Religion does more than create hope, as I have already said. Plus, you seem pretend as if religion is the source of all war, which it's not. Many questions still persist that science has barely made a dent into, such as miracles, the origin of the universe, and other stuff.
Posted by Castade 4 months ago
Castade
religion creates wars and also creates hope, lol we wouldn't need hope if there wasn't war in the first place, so yea religion doesn't benefit people at all, besides religion was made up to have certain questions be answered a long time ago, now that we know the truth beyond a reasonable doubt using our actual intelligence, its time for humans grow and not live in the past.
Posted by JimShady 4 months ago
JimShady
I'll take false hope over no hope any day of the week. Even if it's false, it still gives people something to look to and takes away from the depressing fact of death. I did not deny religions have violence, hate, and evil, but YOU on the other hand cannot deny that they also bring hope (even if false), joy, and kindness to one another. Without religion there would be even more violence and hate.
Posted by backwardseden 4 months ago
backwardseden
Religion does not benefit people because it gives people false hope, if hope is involved. For other religions, there's the violence, the hate, the evil, the suffering. Who wants that? Either way religion is a sore thumb stuck in the mud.