Themeaman909
GirlyPianist

Does capatilism encourage greed and social manipulation?

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner
Started: 12/31/2015 Category: Economics

Themeaman909

Pro

First round is acceptance only. I hope this debate goes well. Please no trolling.
GirlyPianist

Con

Challenge accepted.
~puts on my magical princess outfit~
Prepare yourself for bewitchment! :'D
Themeaman909

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting. I don't understand what the princess comment was for, but that doesn't matter. Now to state some points.

What is capitalism?

Capitalism is an economic policy that allows for the market to be controlled by supply and demand. The government takes very little part in the economic policies. People can pursue and make any business they want, regardless if it fails or not. It has known to be somewhat unstable at times. Many call it "The American dream!"

1. Greed:

All companies want to profit, but some can be far to wanting. Many companies can spend billions of dollars on advertisement and this gives them a more popularized veiw. This is okay, if it is fair. Many companies will find that if they use propaganda against competitors, than they can fool unsuspecting consumers. When they say things such as, contains 100% real chedder, unlike the leading brand. They state that their product is directly better than others. Do we know this for sure? This is also social manipulation. Social manipulation can be directly bad for an economy. The people wont know what they were truly getting. It simply shows that companies want to make profit instead of pleasing the consumer. Every one needs profit, but you can at least say honest things about your product instead of being greedy.

2.Social manipulation:

Capitalists will do some kinda messed up stuff to get money. They will manipulate people into following a certain way or product. Why do tobacco companies profit so much? They do absurd things just to profit. This article gives how the industry is so corrupt, and a non capitalism economy would put an end to this BS. Many others are guilty of similar deception, by stating that their products are superior. This is because of capitalism making it so easy for them. Make sure to read all of the parts on the industry section of the article. I chose this industry because it was a great example of social manipulation. It's twisted and evil.
http://tobaccofreeca.com...
GirlyPianist

Con

GirlyPianist forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Pro

My opponent has conceded to my arguments. Weather accidental or not, it sadly results in a win for me I am guessing. Vote for pro.

I will be recreating this debate, so look out for it if you are interested!
GirlyPianist

Con

....
I'll look out for it too!
I'm so confused about pro and con thing, thought I was pro for some reason
Themeaman909

Pro

Extend (or I basically win because you did not pay attention to the topic and you concede to my arguments.)
GirlyPianist

Con

e.e
I'll see what I can do now. It was an honest mistake, not fair for you to win.

Politics is a vital external factor for any organization. However, the ideology of capitalism isn't to encourage greed and social manipulation. People need freedom... It's the concept our ancestors have been fighting for in various areas. Greed in the business sense, would be "spend billions of dollars on advertisement" as you say ? Not so sure about that, but do you stop for a minute and see why they do it? It's so they can make more profit. These advertisements are the only medium companies get to start communication with consumers and having a more innovative "shelf space" competition with other companies. That process of wanting to make profit allows companies to compete, improve and adapt to suit the consumers needs and wants.

"The people wont know what they were truly getting." You seem to think the consumers are some puppets who won't tell the difference between a bad/good company and blindly buy products. Let me tell you something, if a consumer feels betrayed by a business they will abandon it and go to the next one(that's of course less in niche markets) which will decrease profits to a business and that's not something they'd be too fond of. A business runs on customer loyalty.

If that doesn't make a company more sincere, then surely pressure groups will. Here's one example of many where a society that is very much so a capitalist one accuses food marketers for misleading information. http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk...

The world isn't being controlled by the political systems, it is controlled by money, it acts as a self-propelled force to greed etc. The reason you see an increase in greed and social manipulation is because you most probably live in a capitalist country and it's easy to blame the system.
However, one can say it is money that encourages greed and manipulation. Even in a very communist country such as China, one can see its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) continuing to rise (http://data.worldbank.org...) while there is evidence of declining social welfare in the china and large holes in the "moral fabric" of the Chinese society, be it greed, manipulation or other things. (cite: International Journal of Social Welfare, Volume 16, Issue 1, Article first published online: 12 MAY 2015)

About your example on tobacco companies... When health freaks claim that we need to reduce consumption, business and the consumer both recoil. By now the consumer is so well-conditioned to satisfying needs through these companies that any suggestion to cut back is met with intense anxiety, depression, rage, and even panic. Also, here's how a pack of cigarettes looks like: https://upload.wikimedia.org... , http://www.motherjones.com... Governments force these companies to have these health warning labels on their products, do you think that makes it attractive? Or is it in any way "deceptive"? "twisted".. "evil"...

Hundreds of years ago when the gap between the rich and poor was massive, humanity/social responsibilities didn't even exist. Communication was almost impossible between the two, either you were a lord or a servant, black or white, man or woman and so on. As time passed, the middle class started increasing in societies and that's when the ideology of equality started appearing - when compassion started making an appearance. What's the relation you may ask? It's the middle class people who would care most about these things, encouraging the rich to get richer (improve economies) and forcing them to be socially active and responsible(to help the poor). I do agree there is an increase in greed and social manipulation but it has nothing to do with capitalism, it is the financial disasters that have decreased the middle class people that made us care less about these things. And unfortunately we are headed in a direction that seemingly creates a pathetic wheel where the world will be like it was hundreds of years ago... Twisted and evil.
Posted by GirlyPianist 1 year ago
GirlyPianist
:c They were definitions that I agreed with.... Sorry I wasn't sure how to respond.
Posted by pittythefool 1 year ago
pittythefool
no I think the vast majoroty of all the money today has been monopolised by psychotic people and and corrupt financial instituations. The IMF, federal reserve and world banks act as criminal cartels by stealings the worlds wealth. Where will it end? What won't they sell? Who do they answer to?
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
@pro: Some people stylize their acceptance. I once even put tips for my opponent in, to give myself a greater challenge. What she did may help attract voters, as they are instantly entertained within the first round (thus more likely to read onward).
Posted by GirlyPianist 1 year ago
GirlyPianist
Thank you :)
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
If either of you would like advice or help, you can send me a PM.

And BTW, I have noticed you both are rather new. Welcome to the site!
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
@Themeaman909, you have potential as a skilled debater... but you could so go into further detail about what you are saying. Back up your statements with more sources, remain professional/formal, etc.

@GirlyPianist, I have yet to see you really debate, so I don't have a thing to say to you atm.

I wish you both luck. If you both do this right, it will be a good debate.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
I am not for capitalism. I believe it encourages greed.
Posted by GirlyPianist 1 year ago
GirlyPianist
GAH,
I should have checked the comments before handddd
So sorry x(
Posted by Zarium 1 year ago
Zarium
I 100% agree that capitalism supports this, However what is your view on the matter?

I am happy to accept this debate, and I can sit in both positions, I just would like to confirm what position you are coming from - You are Pro, so i assume you are for Capitalism.