jeffrymundt
rajun

Does ecommerce ruling over shops?

rajun

jeffrymundt

Pro

I thought eCommerce is killing shops as many people prefer to go for online shopping rather than offline.
http://www.ecommercemarketer.com.au...
rajun

Con

Hello everyone! Today, I would like to post my views against the topic "Does e-commerce rule over the shop?"
The answer to this argument in a short way is simple=NO.
But to elaborate, I would like to give the example of INDIA, In this country, E-commerce sites like Flipkart and E-bay rock but in a very regional level, we will see that between 100 people, only 5 people order things from these sites. Why? The reason is that people still don't and will in the near future "never" trust these sites to deliver as well as give good service for the goods. People find this process of getting service for the goods from call-center guys very difficult. Yes, of-course some of these companies do give very good service but to win the trusts of people as to make them buy things like Laptops and Television sets is very difficult. People find easier to sit in a good showroom, select the merchandise by touching them and getting live demonstrations then to simply watch pictures and blindly order them.
When one goes and buys an electronic gadget from a shop, people come, install, demonstrate and help the customer in the future but what happens when one orders the same gadget from an ecommerce site? They will just come and deliver the whole wrapped up product at his doorstep. He has to do all the arduous tasks of opening the package and installing the product himself which always might not be safe.
These factors bug the customer and he prefers a shop rather than a ecommerce site. That is why we can say that e commerce site is not ruling over the shops.
jeffrymundt

Pro

jeffrymundt forfeited this round.
rajun

Con

Round forfeited by my opponent...I wait to the next round too.
jeffrymundt

Pro

Well sorry for being late Con.If I'm buying something like a CPU or motherboard, then I'm making my selection based on reviews, benchmarks, the manufacturer's reputation etc and I can do this only online.Take an example of microcenter.Right now, If I go to my local Microcenter, I'm going to have to pay sales tax. But if I order online, I don't (usually) pay sales tax but do often (but not always) pay shipping charges.So sales tax is also avoided.
http://www.ecommercemarketer.com.au...
rajun

Con

Thank you, CON, for your argument.

"Well sorry for being late Con.If I'm buying something like a CPU or motherboard, then I'm making my selection based on reviews, benchmarks, the manufacturer's reputation etc and I can do this only online.."

You do not need to be sorry,Con. I am sure your late reply is for some reason. I agree with the fact that CPU's and other parts are selected on the basis of reviews,benchmarks,the manufacturer's reputation etc... and one most probably will do this online but is it necessary that everyone will check the information and reviews and will also buy the product from online sites? i.e One can check the stats in the web and buy it from a store. Why?
Because as I previously mentioned, online-sites are not able to win the trusts of the citizens.(a)Checking the stats in the web DO NOT guarantee that the product will be bought from online sites.
(a)http://www.buzzinbiz.com...

For instance, All my friends talk about processors and motherboards and all knowledge is gained from online reference sites.(b) but please note the fact that all of us have bought our machines from shops rather than online-sites and by that I mean all my facebook friends who live in different corners of the world.

(b) www.tomshardware.com

"Right now, If I go to my local Microcenter, I'm going to have to pay sales tax. But if I order online, I don't (usually) pay sales tax but do often (but not always) pay shipping charges.So sales tax is also avoided."

Con has failed to acknowledge locations. Not all sites in every country are liberal of sales tax. One such very common site is Amazon.com(c) and also, sales-tax are very soon going to be implied in online sites.(d) So, we are actually not going to an age where e-commerce will rule over shops.

(c)http://gizmodo.com...
(d)http://edition.cnn.com...
jeffrymundt

Pro

jeffrymundt forfeited this round.
rajun

Con

As above...
jeffrymundt

Pro

jeffrymundt forfeited this round.
rajun

Con

Lets hope my opponent is all well.
Posted by Daljeet-Kaur 3 years ago
Daljeet-Kaur
No, I don't think that online stores are killing offline eCommerce stores business. Infact, it is the best way and option for eCommerce business owners to expand their business and showcase their services globally. Online eCommerce shops doesn't affect offline business. You might see that most of the people love to go outside and purchase from a regular online store. Even I personally love to go outside in a shopping mall or any eCommerce store.
Posted by rajun 3 years ago
rajun
Hello, jeffrymund. lets agree to finish this debate in 3 rounds as such a long debate over this topic is not necessary. what say?
Posted by rajun 3 years ago
rajun
Why is it that every round that is forfeited takes so long for the system to update?
Posted by jeffrymundt 3 years ago
jeffrymundt
Well my point is today people like to buy thing from online stores instead of visiting the stores directly.
Posted by siddharth1 3 years ago
siddharth1
I cannot understand your topic of debate, Is it that 'e-commerce is ruling over shops i.e. it is attracting more people' or is it 'which of the two is better?'. I don't think both the points can be covered in one debate.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
jeffrymundtrajunTied
Reasons for voting decision: Tough debate to judge because the resolution is ambiguous. Pro clarified the resolution in comments, saying that he only intended to say that it meant "today people like to buy thing from online stores instead of visiting the stores directly." Well, sure, that's not debatable. However, "rules" and "killing shops" implies that Pro meant that the situation was producing a significant number of shop closings. Pro didn't prove that. It's Pro's job to make a clear resolution, so the doubt in the meaning goes to Con. Con's arguments were weak, however. The success of amazon shows that many people prefer web shopping. Con should have found sme data. It's very close, but I'll give arguments to con because of the poorly written resolution. Forfeit gives conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
GOP
jeffrymundtrajunTied