Drashti05
blackkid

Does entertainment bring about a social change?

Drashti05

Pro

Yes, I think entertainment does bring a social change .
We all love entertainment and somehow we try to connect to it . Eg : we all love movies, daily soaps etc and we try to execute some part from it into our daily lives.
We take inspiration from the characters ..... So if the entertainment hits on the topics like
Opposing child marriages , dowry and many other evil customs then yes it can bring the positive change in the society . Entertainment helps people to change their way of thinking .
blackkid

Con

I would say in the matter of the chicken and the egg entertainment and media is the chicken and it came second. Social change is therefore brought about not by media but instead cultivated through media; that is to say that media is a distinct mirror of what is changing in attitudes versus being the cause of change itself.

This is important because where an idea is born is where the revolution begins; if it is born from media then all men are slaves to media.
Drashti05

Pro

Here the point is not whether the social change was first brought by media ...... Here the point is does entertainment which comes from media brings social change or not ..... And we all know that it does ... I mean ok there are other sources which bring social change , I fully agree but even u cannot deny that media is also one of those sources bringing social change and we all know that. May it be Nirbhaya case or any exploitation done by anyone or some evil custom like dowry ..... Awareness is spread through movies , social media etc.....
blackkid

Con

You're now addressing a totally different question. Is media effective in spreading ideas? Yes. That is not equivalent to media causing idealization to occur. You telling me that "we all know this" and "you cannot deny" this or that isn't really doing you any favors. You've shifted questions entirely.
Drashti05

Pro

I m sorry I think my opponent friend has misunderstood my question . See entertainment is ENTERTAINMENT. It could be anything . First technology was not there so street plays , radio etc were the source of entertainment and it used to bring a change in the society . Raja ram Mohan Roy , Lokmanya Tilak etc they brought the change in the minds of people . How ? Through newspapers and plays etc . As a result raja ram Mohan Roy eradicated sati system . Now awareness is brought through TV, social networking sites, etc . This all is entertainment. For me entertainment is anything which attracts you and compels you to remain where you are till it ends . If u walk away from a show ( u don't have emergency) it means u are not being entertained by that show !!!
So this is what my point is .... Entertainment brings a social change . Now that change is positive or negative, that depends on the individual's perception. However that is not the subject .
I hope my friend now I have made my point more clear to you .....
Thank u
blackkid

Con

Entertainment is a form of media (http://www.pwc.com... ) and media is any form of communication that seeks to spread a message (http://www.merriam-webster.com...) whether it be through technology, or most commonly, through word of mouth (http://www.forbes.com...) so honestly there's really no backing to Pro's "rebuttal"?

Nothing changed. Pro still hasn't shown anything is different.