Supremefatdj
jonathonave

Does everyone get to go to Heaven? How do you get into Heaven?

Supremefatdj has forfeited round #2.

Supremefatdj

Con

Not everyone gets to go to heaven. Only those who believe in Jesus Christ and His resurrection and that He saved all of us by dying for our sins can go.
"Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will" (Ephesians 1:4-5)
There are already a specific amount of people prechosen to be able to go to heaven.
You cannot simply go to heaven by doing good works.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Therefore, non-christians cannot enter heaven at all. There are no ways to be able to go to heaven from Hell. You cannot buy your way into heaven or pay for someone's way to heaven (catholics). The only way you can go to heaven is only through faith. It is our choice to choose to believe in Jesus Christ, as the Savior.
jonathonave

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for creating this debate.

I believe my opponent has confused the Pro and the Con based on the resolution stated in his opening arguments, so I will clarify the positions in this round. The resolution is that not everyone gets to go to heaven, and that belief in the Jesus Christ of Christianity is the only way to achieve heaven. My opponent will uphold this resolution, (despite being labeled as Con), and I will negate it.

For lack of definitions provided by my opponent, I will provide one.

Heaven - a place regarded in various religions as the abode of God (or the gods) and the angels, and of the good after death

My opponent has offered multiple verses from the bible to back his claims. I will first show you that the bible is not legitimate as a source of information, before moving to some distinct reasons to negate the resolution.

Beginning with analysis of the bible as a source of information. The bible as book claims that it is, in its entirety, absolutely true and written by a god. What this means, is that in order for my opponent to use the bible as a source of evidence, he must be able to defend its truth in its entirety. If he cannot, we must discard the bible as a source in this round.
I offer a number of reasons to question the absolute legitimacy of the bible.

1. Matthew 17:20
Matthew 17:20 states that any Christian, so long as they have faith, can move mountains. We have never seen this done.

2. Value of Pi
1 Kings 7:27 gives a value for Pi that amounts precisely to 3.0. We now know that Pi is equal to 3.1415 and goes on from there.

3. Creation order
Genesis 1 states that animals were created before man. Then in Genesis 2 it states that man was created before animals.

4. Murder and taking of life
In the 10 Commandments it is stated that killing is "wrong." However, later when the Israelite nation takes over the land of Canaan, they are ordered to kill absolutely everyone.

These are just a few examples of inconsistencies in this supposedly sacred and absolutely true book. Given that we cannot accept this book to be absolutely true, we cannot accept the claim that belief in Jesus is the only way to heaven. And so my case rests in the fact that multiple religions offer ways to heaven. No religion, Christianity included, can offer itself to be an absolute truth. Christianity especially is riddled with contradictions. For us to say that one questionably true religion is more correct than another is nothing but blind favoritism on our part. If we accept that heaven exists, we must also accept that there are multiple religions that offer a path to get there.