lightingbolt50
AthenaMusic10

Does god exist? V2

AthenaMusic10

lightingbolt50

Con

This will be a continuation of our last debate, found here: http://www.debate.org...
I invited athena from that debate to continue this. Since this is just a continuation I won't do any of the formal starting post things, i'll just refute your last argument.

Since many religious people can not comprehend non-existence I mentioned the time before you were born as a anology for you after death. We have no reason to believe there is an after life, so we should assume there isn't one. Exactly, god is a belief, nothing more. He just exists in our minds. We have very hazy info that Jesus did exist, and no proof that he performed miracles. Of course that website will talk about religious sightings, it's a fracking methodist church website! Try telling me with a straight face that info isn't biased.
AthenaMusic10

Pro

If there is no afterlife, we would cease to live when we die which means all of this will be for nothing. I feel like that would be betrayal to our lives and time spent here, all our memories and feelings, POOF! All gone. I stand by my pre-judgement that I believe there is a God because it gives us hope and if there was no God, there would be no peace. The world would be a chaotic place where every man stands alone. Many people who believe in God, follow the 10 Commandments (there is a link below)

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Without these commandments, there would be no "rules" in this world. And where there is freedom, you may find sin. That is why the world still lives under rules, some are laws and others we do out of love and compassion.
lightingbolt50

Con

In my eyes (this really is entirely opinion.) human life is measured in how it affected other lives. If your an organ donor, good. If your a serial killer, bad. If you die, yes you do lose all you've worked for, but if you've done good to others you've had a succesful life in my oppinion. God's got nothing to do with it. The argument that god creates order is just a fallacy, how the h*ll do you know he creates order? I know what the 10 commandments are, you know. I was a f*cking methodist christian for 15 years til I gained some sense. Many people do not live by the 10 commandments and even despise them, yet retain a great moral compass.
AthenaMusic10

Pro

But like I said before, humans are curios creatures and we ask many questions. Some of which cannot be answered by science alone so people decide that the answer is from God. "Why is there sin?" "How did this whole universe create?" "What happens after we die?" I do not think science could answer such questions and there has been proof of a little boy who went to heaven. This is a true story and there is proof. For more info:

http://heavenisforreal.net...

Everybody is obsessed with leaving a mark on how they affected other lives. But the marks humans leave are so often scars. All we humans leave are scars and more scars. You build a minimal or start a coup and think they will remember you but really, all you leave are more scars. Your minimal becomes a lesion and the coup becomes a dictatorship.
lightingbolt50

Con

lightingbolt50 forfeited this round.
AthenaMusic10

Pro

I just realized that I won the last argument. Please check that out for more info. Con did not reply to my previous argument so I stand by my judgement. But I will be awaiting Con's response.
lightingbolt50

Con

lightingbolt50 forfeited this round.
AthenaMusic10

Pro

It seems like Con has forfeited this round again. I would like to say that religious people are very devoted towards their religion and worship so God seems to be very reasonable.
lightingbolt50

Con

lightingbolt50 forfeited this round.
AthenaMusic10

Pro

I am a little disappointed that con did not reply. Please vote.
Posted by personpattersun 2 years ago
personpattersun
I hate these debates. While I am a christian and do believe in God I say Boondocks (which stole this line from a former politician) gave the best response.

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. There are known knowns and unknowns unknowns. Things we don't know that we don't know."
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
lightingbolt50AthenaMusic10Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Three rounds forfeited. Arguments would be hard to judge without a proper definition of god at the start. Should pro argue this again, I would however advise against using fear tactics on the audience (the opening sentence; if it's not a fear tactic, why is it even there?).