captaincake8
sammykeyes12

Does god exist? (Yes/No)

captaincake8

Con

I myself, was born to a Jewish family in Israel, but being exposed to the internet, I decided to become an atheist at a young age (2 years ago actually).

And I have one reason for it:
Why should I believe in something that can't be proved? Has never been proved? Because some old book says so? Ha!

P.S Sorry for my English I'm 13 and English is my second language.
sammykeyes12

Pro

I am a Mormon, but that doesn't affect what my belief in God because multiple religions believe in God. I've struggled some with the idea of God, but I've come to my own conclusion by trusting my instincts, which is pretty darn good, and research.
First of all, I believe that we didn't just evolve into what we are, because we have not enough scientific evidence to prove that we did evolve and there are many organisms that share similar DNA types with us. We cannot pinpoint where we came from exactly, so there is a possibility that we were just placed on earth as humans, and I believe God created us this way and placed us on earth this way.
There are many things that we cannot explain in this world. According to ABC News, "...a 40-year-old woman's heart stopped beating for 45 minutes during labor, doctors were about to call her time of death. Suddenly they spotted a blip on the monitor...her heart started again on its own.." (Neporent paragraphs 9 and 11). There had to be something that happened. We all come to earth with our own purposes, hers must not have been completed. They call God the Worker of Miracles; this is his doing.
People need something to hold onto for hope. Hope has many benefits for us, so everyone should find something to hope for. Some people believe in God and find hope, and that can be good for them because they can find a reason to do good, and it gives them hope. "...Hope, Lopez says, may buffer us from stress, anxiety and the effects of negative life events...hope for the future is clearly linked with daily habits that support health and prevent disease..." (Enayati paragraphs 11 and 13); Lopez, an author and researcher has also said that when they did a research, people with more hope were happier, opposed to the hopeless. We need to live life happier.

Neporent, Liz. "Biggest Medical Miracles That Happened in 2014." ABC News. ABC News Network, 18 Dec. 2014. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. <http://abcnews.go.com...;.
Enayati, Amanda. "How Hope Can Help You Heal - CNN.com." CNN. Cable News Network, 11 Apr. 2013. Web. 9 Mar. 2015. <http://www.cnn.com...;.
captaincake8

Con

captaincake8 forfeited this round.
sammykeyes12

Pro

Do you believe that there are other planets that sustain life out in space? Do you believe in the future? Those are things that we either cannot physically see without the help of a seeing device or we just cannot physically see it. Doesn't mean that they're not there. Who knows? Maybe God is out there, but you can either choose to believe it or not to believe it.
Personally, I believe that this is not subject that we can actually debate because there cannot be enough evidence to support either side, because "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" (Carl Sagan) and it could end up being offensive to some religions.
captaincake8

Con

captaincake8 forfeited this round.
sammykeyes12

Pro

Seeing as my partner has forfeited the last two rounds, therefore not being able to knock any of my reasons down, I believe that I should declare this round either tied or as the debate being my win.
Posted by Centurion657 2 years ago
Centurion657
Agreed.
Posted by sengejuri 2 years ago
sengejuri
Its true that Theism cannot be proven...... But neither can atheism. So you're back at square one.