jtstamos
GarretKadeDupre

Does morality come from religion?

jtstamos

Pro

People say that without religion there would be no morality. Yet after reading multiple religious texts I only see racism, sexism, slavery, rape and more. Even the morally good stories from religious scripture are flawed because the only incentive is still getting a good spot in heaven or a privileged afterlife. So my question is what good comes from religion and why do we still need it in this day and age?
GarretKadeDupre

Con

Thank you for this debate.

My opponent is Pro, therefore, his position is for the resolution. He should be defending the claim that morality comes from religion, but ironically, he is arguing against his own position. Since he also has the burden of proof, I see no reason for me to further his own arguments since they are in my favor. Vote CON!

Thanks everyone.
jtstamos

Pro

Thank you for deciding to debate with me. You are right I made a mistake when choosing wether I was pro or con. Obviously I stand by my statements and am asking the question of why certain people believe that morality comes from religion. But I think you are the wrong person to debate about this topic with because we clearly have the same views on the subject.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

All arguments extended.
jtstamos

Pro

jtstamos forfeited this round.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

All arguments extended.
jtstamos

Pro

jtstamos forfeited this round.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

Morality doesn't come from religion. If it did, atheists and agnostics would behave differently than religious peope in moral experiments, and they don't. (1)

(1) http://www.qcc.cuny.edu...
Posted by jtstamos 4 years ago
jtstamos
Your right and once again I have accidentally chosen the wrong pro/con status. Thank you for your comment.
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
You have set yourself up as "Pro" which would generally indicate, in the context of the framework, that you think morality comes from religion.