jtstamos
amaldo39

Does morality come from religion?

jtstamos

Con

People say that without religion there would be no morality. Yet after reading multiple religious texts I only see racism, sexism, slavery, rape and more. Even the morally good stories from religious scripture are flawed because the only incentive is still getting a good spot in heaven or a privileged afterlife. So my question is what good comes from religion and why do we still need it in this day and age?
amaldo39

Pro

I accept this debate and I would like to thank the original poster for creating the debate. Since the original poster did not write the definitions, I shall:

Morality-conformity to the rules of right conduct
Religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
jtstamos

Con

My opponent has entered definitions for the words Religion and Morality. Although these definitions are correct they do not answer my question. I understand what morality is and that religion does have certain rules regarding moral behavior. The question is simply, does morality come from religion and do you need religion to be a morally good person?
amaldo39

Pro

amaldo39 forfeited this round.
jtstamos

Con

jtstamos forfeited this round.
amaldo39

Pro

amaldo39 forfeited this round.