ConserativeDemocrat
harrytruman

Does prayer work?

ConserativeDemocrat

Con

We will be debating if prayer towards the Christian God will actually work and change something. My position is that prayer does not work, and yours will be that prayer does work.
Rules:
1.) First round is acceptance only
2.) No trolling or semantics
3.) Be respectful
4.) Cite sources
5.) Forfieting is an automatic loss

Good luck!
harrytruman

Pro

I will be arguing that prayer does work,
So a study has shown that human though, a person concentrating on a specific number, affects the random number machines results. We also know that, according to quantum mechanics, the entire universe is a random number machine, so prayer will affect the world around.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Sorry my debate isn"t very long, not much needed.
ConserativeDemocrat

Con

Thanks to my opponent for responding. However, you broke one of my rules so you lose points for that. On to my rebbutals.
The BoP is on him as it is his job to prove prayer works. He didn't. A wikipedia page isn't evidence for prayer. The experiment in question is flawed as well. Even if the experiment was legit, it wouldn't prove prayer worked. For example, I can't tell you the amount of times when I was younger I prayed, and nothing happened. I prayed for people in Africa to get better lives, for homeless people, for good test scores, and for candy, and nothing happened. Why? Because prayer does not work. You might say, "God doesn't answer all prayers." However, the bible says that if you pray, what you asked for will be given too you. Why doesn't prayer give me what I desire? Because it doesn't work.
harrytruman

Pro

"Thanks to my opponent for responding. However, you broke one of my rules so you lose points for that. On to my rebbutals."

Hmm.

"The BoP is on him as it is his job to prove prayer works. He didn't. A wikipedia page isn't evidence for prayer. The experiment in question is flawed as well. Even if the experiment was legit, it wouldn't prove prayer worked. For example, I can't tell you the amount of times when I was younger I prayed, and nothing happened. I prayed for people in Africa to get better lives, for homeless people, for good test scores, and for candy, and nothing happened. Why? Because prayer does not work. You might say, "God doesn't answer all prayers." However, the bible says that if you pray, what you asked for will be given too you. Why doesn't prayer give me what I desire? Because it doesn't work."

Probably because you were praying stupid prayers, god, like any reasonable person with a life to live, doesn't answer stupid questions. Except the Africans getting better lives, the truths is that people like Keith green have been doing that, are you expecting him to do EVERYTHING for you.
You want the Africans toi get better lives, go help them get better lives.
You want the homeless people to be better off, help the out.
You want better test scores, study more and pay attention in class.
You want candy, go earn some money and buy candy.
ConserativeDemocrat

Con

You didn't even rebut my points.

It doesn't matter if a prayer is "stupid", although I don't see why praying for poor people in Africa is stupid. The bible states if you pray, what you prayed for will happen. Also, I want you to name say 5 examples of time prayer actually worked.

I can name 5 times prayer didn't work.

1) When I prayed to get rid of child slavery
2) When I prayed for God to end poverty
3) When I prayed for God to help the victim of a motorcycle crash
4) When I prayed for the California drought to end
5) When I prayed for my family to win an IPad

Why weren't those prayers answered? Because prayer doesn't work. If you pray, nothing will happen. If prayer actually worked, there would be no poverty, no injuries, and everyone would have a good life. However, prayer never works and God just seems to be on a permanent vacation so the world is filled with evil and suffering and prayers are never answered.
harrytruman

Pro

No, it does not say so, ugh, this debate is ridiculous, go waste some one elses time.
ConserativeDemocrat

Con

My opponent seems to think that I am wasting his time, even though he accepted the debate. He also states the bible doesn't say if you pray for something, you will get it.

Well, here are some verses that say if you pray, you will receive it:

1) Matthew 7:7
2) Matthew 21:22
3) Mark 11:24
4) John 14:13-14

So yes, the bible does say prayer works. However, when I pray, nothing happens; it isn't God saying no, or him not answering. Therefore, prayer doesn't work.
harrytruman

Pro

Mathew 7:7 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you"
What is that, ask, seek, knock, 2/3 of those sound like something you do yourself.
Matthew 21:22 "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive"
I see "believing", ever hear of the placebo effect?
Mark 11:24 "Therefore I say to you, what things so ever you desire, when you pray, believe that you will receive them, and you shall have them"
Again, we see this believe thing, not this say it thing.
John 14:13-14 ""And whatsoever you ask in my name, that I will do, that the father be glorified in the son.
If you love me keep my commandments"
This one is a little hard to contest in the way that it doesn't even provoke your point, but I see "in my name", not "you want candy I give you some".
ConserativeDemocrat

Con

Really?

Matthew 7:7

What that really means is that if you ask God for something, you will get it.

Matthew 21:22

The placebo effect will not work here. If I believe I have a mansion, or if I believe their is no suffering, that just makes me an idiot. What that means is if you are a believer, and are a Christian, then ask and you shall receive.

Mark 11:24

That means if I ask for something, believe it will happen, then I will actually get it.

John 14:13-14

That means that if you pray in God's name, you will receive it.

I also would like for you to prove prayer exists, which you still haven't done. These verses show that prayer should work, but it doesn't.
harrytruman

Pro

Hey, what did I tell you the atheists about pretending as if I did not prove you wrong, oh well.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Yes/no. 1xx people just got killed in France..XXXXx people will pray and feel better. But what we pray to made the killings possible....
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Well you're debating harrytruman, so you got this either way.

@harry, you actually need a lot more than that. You need to provide specific sources, not just a Wikipedia article. Cite the research that definitively proved human brain thoughts affected random number machines, and prove for a fact that the universe is a random number machine. That's not common knowledge. You may as well have just forfeited that round.
Posted by ConserativeDemocrat 1 year ago
ConserativeDemocrat
Ok, then this debate will be assuming God exists
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Well you can't leave that to unsurity in this debate. It's too ambiguous. To make the factual claim that God answers prayers, you have to be able to say God exists. You can't just have that floating about. But yeah the whole debate is way too ambiguous in general. I mean like I said, most arguments from either side have to be logically fallacious or rely on the debate if God's existence.
ConserativeDemocrat
The position is unsure that a God exists. That isn't what we would be debating though
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
It's not a good debate though. All evidence is anecdotal or just based on the Bible, which means if we agree that the Christian God exists then you're arguing against a truism.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Are you arguing under the premise that the God of Christianity exists? Because if you don't have that as an agreed premise then this is a debate about whether or not that God exists.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
I doubt someone actually got something from a prayer. If they had, it's probably coincidental. (If God exists, he doesn't answer any prayers. Or any godlike entity for that matter.) I'll keep an eye on this debate in case someone thinks prayers do work.