Flipper72725
ScotiePhantom

Does provocative dress promote rape

Flipper72725
Started: 10/29/2013 Category: Fashion

Flipper72725

Pro

This debate has been long since coming. This is where we will have a serious debate on whether or not provocative dress (in general) promotes rape.

First round is for acceptance.
ScotiePhantom

Con

Men can't help getting turned on by how women dress, however, they CAN help what they do when turned on. They could just go behind a building and relieve themselves but instead they go rip a woman's clothes off against her will.
Flipper72725

Pro

Men can't help getting turned on by how women dress, however, they CAN help what they do when turned on. They could just go behind a building and relieve themselves but instead they go rip a woman's clothes off against her will."
This is a valid point, but remember this poll is whether or not provocative dress PROMOTES rape.

now on with my point.
First of all I would like to note out something. I would like to ask everyone reading this to imagine your work setting or school setting. What kind of women generally attract the most attention? (not to be mean) but is it the unattractive ones, or the ones who go out flashing their bodies and putting themselves out there for everyone to see? Those are the ones that attract the most attention and the ones most men will glare at. Therefore it stands to reason that they are more of a target and more likely to get raped because they choose to dress in that manor.
ScotiePhantom

Con

ScotiePhantom forfeited this round.
Flipper72725

Pro

I would like to apologize for my opponent missing the last round. hopefully he will still be here for the rest of the debate.

Feminists have long said that "all men are rapists" It's in a mans biology to be attracted to the female anatomy, and when you show it - they are going to look, and not think about much else. I mean lets face it ladies, do you honestly put on those short shorts and spaghetti straps to AVOID attention? and one of the things that angers me the most is when a women says something like "i want to find a man who loves me for my brain, not my boobs" and then they wear a revealing spaghetti strap shirt that shows off half of their chest.

One of the most cliche sayings today is "don't judge someone by what they look/dress like" But in reality that is simply not true. People make a first impression on you when they look at they way you dress. Do you honestly expect to get a job by walking into an interview half naked? No. the boss is looking for someone professional and professionally dressed. Different scenario, would you rather walk down a path with someone who sags their pants and has gold plated teeth? or would you feel much safer traveling down a path with a business man/women in a suit and tie? One of the things my father always told me was "how you dress is how you present yourself to the world" the dress is the individual objectifying themselves and demanding less respect not more. You will be treated in the manor in which you dress. Now obviously women don't go out of their way to get raped. But if they appeal to a mans sexual interest in the way they dress, it is more likely that they will get raped.

Now the man chose to rape the women, and the man was attracted to the women. The woman didn't chose to be raped. But she could have not drawn as much attention to herself if she had dressed in a more appropriate manor.
ScotiePhantom

Con

ScotiePhantom forfeited this round.
Flipper72725

Pro

What do you think of celebrities like Miley Cirus and Nikki Manaj? Do you think that they are a good influence on kids, strutting their "stuff" on stage for the world to see. They're basically just world famous strippers. One its a terrible influence on our kids, two it lessens the worlds already low viewpoint of us, and three it lowers the standards by making people think that stuff like that is 'cool' and that people need to dress like that to fit in and be accepted. and three, it sets a stereotype that all American women have to endure. But simply by covering that up, you will defy that stereotype that the entire world sees, and be thought of on a higher level. I for one prefer a women with enough class to cover that stuff up.

Now a Women has the right to walk freely at night and remain safe from assault. But they take that right away and endanger their own safety by putting themselves out there for the world to see, which especially isn't a good idea alone, at night. If you dress like that you may attract unwanted sexual attention.
ScotiePhantom

Con

ScotiePhantom forfeited this round.
Posted by dlee878 3 years ago
dlee878
Is the provocatively dressed person at home watching TV or passed out at a frat party?
Posted by miketheman1200 3 years ago
miketheman1200
It can. But its not a common factor in rape cases. This will be easy for Pro. All Pro needs to do is prove that it can promote rape.
Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 3 years ago
Ameliamk1
Flipper72725ScotiePhantomTied