Letsdebate24
Lumice

Does rap influence the youth in a negative way?

Letsdebate24

Con

The vast majority of rappers will rap about the same things; guns, drugs, hoes, and money. They demean women and make women out to be nothing but disposable pieces of meat. Of course there are some exceptions but most are all thug like with an extensive criminal record.
Lumice

Pro

Mate i think you've got it the wrong way around, you mention that rappers rap about mean lyrics right?
well yeah Myley cyrus started twerking, do you blame her for everyone who twerks, i bet you do. See you've got it the wrong way around it just so happens that criminals, thugs and whatnot can relate more to these 'gangsta songs' the same way lovers and couples will listen to love songs. do you blame the love songs for public acts of affection, uh hopefully no.
what the true essence is the person themselves. these lyrics or actions don't cause you to go out there and kill,rape steal no- but it will light some ideas on people who are susceptible to suggestion which is <1% of the population. stated in pubmed article depression and anxiety the group with the highest susceptibility to suggestion are individuals with dissociated identity disorder followed by posttruamatic stress disorder. Then i would like to refer to the original contention defining 'youth' as the whole population of children between ages 9-21, i really don't think these teens have lived quite long enough to experience posttruamatic stresses and that the % of children with identity disorder is incredibly low, so no youths are not influenced by rap music in a negative way. you can go play your GTA V and listen to snoop dog and not worry about doing weed or killing a prostitute.
Letsdebate24

Con

I say youth for that very reason, they are the most easily influenced. These young girls listen to this kind of music and start thinking of themselves as a "B***h" and start acting like the girls in Lupe Fiasco's "Bad B***h" music video. The vast majority of these "thugs" have a criminal record before they are even 21 years old so why do you think that is? I went to a high with a large majority of it's students blaring rap in the student parking lot and they all acted like them and talked like them which kept our campus officer very busy. So many little kids grow up innocently enough but as soon as they start hanging out with the rap crowd or listening to that kind of music on their own they begin to change. It's true that criminals do have a tendency to enjoy rap more because it closer resembles the kind of life they live but there is no evidence to support that this music doesn't influence the young to act the same way. When almost every song sends the same message how can we expect them to just say "o well its just a song its not real" and then turn around and see those same rappers getting locked up again. There is a show called Beyond scared straight about young kids that think their invincible but get sent to jail to see what that kind of life gets them. What kind of music do you think the listen to? And this isn't a white thing or a black or hispanic thing its all of them. Im not singling out anyone because we're all guilty of it
Lumice

Pro

We're ALL guilty of it? holy what kind of amazing assumptions your making here mate. I'm sorry that your high school life had to suffer and that your school campus officer was kept busy- though that's what his paid for. however i will state again though what your observations was that this kind of music and 'thugs' are related but in no way you could say that rap music was the cause. Your 'high' years couldn't and does not equal the whole youth population. I must add what you saw was a phase, high school years is the time of 'wanting to belong' so unless you can prove to me that they've grown up to be criminals then it shall remain as a phase, moving on to my next point; the earlier kids experience such things in life the quicker they learn, fun fact: why do you think the teach sexual education to kids at a young age? so they can all grow up being prostitutes? No. kids grow up into adult their 'innocence' i laugh will not be tainted by lyrics of a song , bringing up to my next point this show on TV you saw was ON T.V do you know how much the media changes stories? t.v should remain as entertainment and not scientific evidence unless it's a documentary. Well i had enough fun rebutting your strange assumption and lastly to answer you question, 'what kind of music do you listen to?' this kind: So, do you feel like smoking weed after watching this?
Letsdebate24

Con

I never said that "all youth" that listen to rap are turned into criminals, I simply stated that the lyrics they hear are amplified by the actions of older people who actually live that life style. If you were to drive through the "ghetto" what kind of music do you think you would hear blaring from every car and stereo system? I can tell you its not going to be rock or country. Take chicago for example: It has the highest murder rate in the country and the 2nd worst gang problem in the country. Can you honestly say that the rap youth listens to and the actions of the older people around them that mimic the lyrics in a rap song has no influence on them? They dont say "hey I wanna be like that guy! or like that girl!" Now when I use the word youth im talking about those that dont have a proper role model in there life, which in a ghetto your not going to have many of those leaving them to take after the thugs that thrive there. There are exceptions like in every scenario. Sometimes there are those that can see all the chaos and know that there is a better life for them if they are willing to work for it. I suppose you would like to think that it is merely a great coincidence that the youth chooses to act just like the rappers they listen to. That they were going to act that way regardless of listening to that kind of music. Rappers are thugs in the first place (not all of them but most) They rap about the life they used to live before they got famous
Lumice

Pro

Lumice forfeited this round.
Letsdebate24

Con

Is that the end of the debate?
Lumice

Pro

Yes, you win my song propelled me to smoke weed. So much weed that i was incapable of typing up my argument. Today you have prevailed against the fiend rap music now go forth spread the good news today this debate, tomorrow the world!
Letsdebate24

Con

Letsdebate24 forfeited this round.
Lumice

Pro

i see you to are taking up the hash, great work my man.