NKJVPrewrather
Omniscient19

Does reason requir free will?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
01day20hours43minutes45seconds
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Voting Period

NKJVPrewrather

Pro

How can I accept reasonable arguments if I don't have free will?
Omniscient19

Con

My friend please make clear what do you mean by your argument....try citing an example as it would become clear that what is it exactly that you are talking about
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

This is my argument that we have to have free will to mentally process reason and logic. How can I debate you reasonably without free will to exchange ideas?
Omniscient19

Con

Free will refers to the ability to act at one's own discretion.To act. A person, let his name be XYZ is walking on a street. He sees a lively debate going on and decides to listen to it. He takes a seat in the audience. Now XYZ has a disease, a rare mental disease that his thought lacks free will.He easily gets swayed by a notion be it true or false.He has excellent memory though.He listens to the debate very carefully. When he listens to the speaker speaking for the motion he thinks him to be right but a similar thing happens with the other speaker. Now when he leaves this place in his mind these thoughts are still wandering.His brain automatically compares the speeches to his past and his experiences and he is able to figure out that the which of the two was speaking the truth and which one was manipulating the facts. He did not ask his brain to do it, it happened on it's own.He cannot present his opinion in front of anyone as he does not have free will but he knows what the truth is. Take another example of a slave. He acts strictly according to his master's instruction who is very cruel.He learns what he teaches him, eat what is given to him and has no freewill. You would think that after such brainwashing he would have no set of ethics of his own. You are wrong. The Wrong can layer itself over the right but cannot erase the right. There is still reason existing inside of that slave, would he not run away if he gets a chance?Reason does not require free will. Expressing one's thought may require free will but when one has to differentiate between wrong and right, he does not need free will.I hope the challenge was all about this.
NKJVPrewrather

Pro

I do agree with some of what you are saying. I think that freewill is the ability to act on one's discretion, but I think freewill and reason go well together. Of my own free will, I am reasoning that thew two go together.
Omniscient19

Con

No. I answered this question already.Reason does not require free will.It is an innate quality. Whether you want to reason whether it is day or night or not, you know that already!
Posted by canis 1 week ago
canis
Only determinisme exists... But the fly on the wall has no "reasoning" that can "destroy" its "free will" .. ( I should not eat that rotten fish..I will get fat)...Does free will requir the absence of reason ?..
Posted by KostasT.1526 1 week ago
KostasT.1526
I believe that we can debate this topic too in our current debate, namely "does free will exist?", should you present it as an argument.