Blazzered
Colin_Conway

Does religious belief make the world a better place?

Blazzered

Con

This debate is inspired by the debate that was between Richard Dawkins and Cardinal George Pell on the same topic.
The results of this debate, with over 20,000 votes, was 76% said no, while 24% said yes.

I will be taking the side saying no, religion does not make the world a better place.
In this debate we do not need to focus on a specific religion. We can talk about Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc.

First round will be accepting and introduction.
Second round will start the debate with opening statements and we will go from there.
My opponent and I will be debating if religious belief makes the world a better place. We are not here to say one specific religion is good and true, we are here to try to convince each other and the viewers if religious belief makes the world a better place.
Again this isn't about a specific religion, just the belief in religion overall.

Once the debate is over, if you (the viewer) believe religious belief DOES make the world a better place, vote pro!
If you (the viewer) believe religious belief DOESNT make the world a better place, vote con!

My introduction
Again I will be taking the side saying no, religious belief does not make the world a better place. I am an agnostic theist. Not an atheist. I am a former Christian. I respect all religions. I am open minded, however I go with facts, evidence, reason, and logic. I hope for this to be a respectful debate.
Lots of my knowledge comes from listening to Richard Dawkins, David Silverman (my favorite), Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris. I of course do lots of my own research, especially to make sure that what these guys say are true and are not false. I do not agree with everything they say.
I am here to learn, have fun, listen, and of course debate.
I look forward for who my opponent will be and their introduction. I wish them good luck. :)
Colin_Conway

Pro

I too look forward to this debate! Speaking from perspective that religious belief does make the world a better place is quite true from the way I was brought up, to the way I see it now. My religion is (h4;m1;m3;l6;k3;l6;l8;m9;) pronounced Doukhobor, a Russian form of Christianity that believed in his teachings, but not quite in the same way as other Christians. We are pacifists that believed that we should internalize the essence of God into how we portray ourselves to be, although we do except facts first and do not believe in creation. Again I look forward to this debate, and me myself am a jazz guitarist living in Toronto currently.
Blazzered

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. This should be fun. :)

Now I am aware that religions have some teachings of love and compassion. However that does not excuse the immoral teachings in religions.

Because of religious belief, we are held back in stem cell research, human rights are restricted, and immoral acts are done.

Stem cell research is something that can benefit everyone. Many people have been affected by certain diseases, or injuries, that stem cell research can fix. But because of religious belief, stem cell research has been held back.

Human rights are restricted because people with a religious belief will say that the bible chooses their rights.
An example is Christianity with homosexuals.
Homosexuals face discrimination, abuse, etc. just for living life as they see fit. But because the bible says its wrong, they can't live their lives and be happy. They have to live life the way the bible teaches it.
In the Islam religion, women have less rights than men. It says in the Qur'an that a man is equal to a portion two women. Women are treated as servants and have less rights. There is no gender equality.

Immoral acts are done such as genocide, in the name of a persons religious belief.
Kids are kicked out of their homes by their parents when they announce to their family that they either don't believe in the same God, or believe in no gods, or that they are gay.
9/11
ISIS
The crusades
Stoning
People being burned at the stake
Sacrifices
War (overall)
Discrimination

And these acts are done in the name of someone's god, their religious belief.

These are immoral acts and are inexcusable. But again are done because of religious belief.

These are the reasons I believe religious belief does not make the world a better place.
Colin_Conway

Pro

Colin_Conway forfeited this round.
Blazzered

Con

My original statements still stand. Therefore I have nothing to add.
Colin_Conway

Pro

Colin_Conway forfeited this round.
Blazzered

Con

My original statements still stand.
Colin_Conway

Pro

Colin_Conway forfeited this round.
Blazzered

Con

My statements still stand.
Colin_Conway

Pro

Colin_Conway forfeited this round.
Posted by Blazzered 2 years ago
Blazzered
Again, the bible is the word of god isn't it? So wouldn't it be gods word saying homosexuality is wrong, or are you saying the holy bible has flaws and/or is wrong?

Again, I listed examples of cruel acts due to religion, and it's why I believe religious belief does not make the world a better place.
I never said that the only reason we have violent acts was because of religion.
However religion does have a big cause on the violence in the world, it's just not the only cause.
Posted by really12 2 years ago
really12
No, I said that the holy bible was written under societal and religious beliefs, thus meaning, the people back then did not know about science. In case if you didn't know, God sent Moses (the prophet) from Mt. Sinai with two tablets stating the ten commandments and these moral doctrines did not cover everything (e.g. homosexuality) does the bible clearly state whether masturbating is a sin?

Further, I also stated about radical jihadists that religion doesn't kill people, dispute does, incongruity does, fundamentalism and extremism does.
Posted by Blazzered 2 years ago
Blazzered
Are you saying that God didn't know scientific facts?
Are you saying that God was wrong?
The bible is supposed to be the word of God.
Unless you don't believe in the bible and believe it is a lie. Then I understand your statements.

How often so you hear of scientists killing each other over theory's?
How often do you hear people going out and murdering in the name of science?

People kill in the name of their god. They kill because their god tells them to kill.
ISIS
9/11
The crusades
Those are some examples.

I'm an agnostic theist.
I believe there is a God but I am not against the idea of there not being a god and I side with the evidence and the proof we're given.
I am open to any evidence people have for their god, but if their evidence is just a flawed argument like the ontological argument, God of the Gaps, Pascals Wager, etc. then of course I will not believe. Hard scientific evidence will get me to believe if we ever find any. Until we do, I will defend the atheist position.

Richard Dawkins is an agnostic atheist, he has said this many times.
Posted by really12 2 years ago
really12
Blazzered,

The holy bible does not choose our rights, it informs us on what is moral and immoral. As for homosexuality, the bible was written long ago when there was not a such a copious amount of scientific research, and as such the people then believed that homosexuality was a choice because there was nothing to prove otherwise. You must know that the holy bible was also written in societal morals, not only religious morals and since people back then deemed it permissible to stone a woman who had lost her virginity before marriage.

Another stigma of religion "adversely affecting" our world is that people of different religions kill each other over disputes. The truth in this however, is that religion doesn't kill people, dispute does. Even if religion was vanquished, people would still fund something to argue about. How many scientists argue over their theories? How many scientists argue over who's the better scientist and which science is better and more factual than which? Evolution after all, is science.

P.s. you claim to be agnostic yet you take time to listen to Richard Dawkins, who incidentally is an ethologist.
Posted by Blazzered 2 years ago
Blazzered
@beanall I looked at some of his debates and he sure does seem intelligent and knows how to present evidence.
However I never said I was just agnostic, I am an agnostic theist.
This mean I believe there is a God, but am not against the idea of there being no gods, and I do not say a specific God is real. This is why I have debated against Christianity. I will be debating against Islam in the future, and against other religions.
Other than that I don't get what you wanted me to see.

Did I say that dinosaurs never walked with humans in one of my debates?
Are you trying to change my views?
Are you asking me to challenge him?
Posted by beanall 2 years ago
beanall
Blazzered I'd like you to view one of my friend 's profiles. He used to be agnostic as well and then became a hard core catholic after tons of research. He argues that the bible be taken literally, has his own geocentrism subreddit, and even believes that people walked with dinosaurs. He provides very good arguments for these topics as well. I have even changed my views because of him. I was always a catholic but I didn't believe geocentrism could exist and was pretty shocked and even laughed when he told me that dinosaurs walked with humans. Then after reading some of his debates, I thought "Wow some of this could actually be true." Just check them out! http://www.debate.org...
Posted by hect 2 years ago
hect
Q and A great show strya!!!