Lightningstar
TheSilentHorseman

Does the A.C.E school system work

TheSilentHorseman

Lightningstar

Pro

I go to an Accelerated Christian Education school and I truly believe it has enriched my life and the lives of my fellow students I'd prefer to talk to someone who it personally didn't work for. Good luck
TheSilentHorseman

Con

My opponent seems to want to talk about his personal experiences with this form of education system, but I will be analyzing this education system through the objective lens of analyzing its ability to teach students in the United States properly. Therefore, as the Con, I will be arguing that this program does not achieve these objectives of education. I move to my contentions:

Contention 1: Accelerated Christian Education produces students that generally score lower on ACTs.

Kelley notes in the abstract of her survey of students from Accelerated Christian Education (from now on to be referred as “A.C.E.”) , “[s]cores were analyzed and a significant difference was found between the public school graduates’ scores and the ACE graduates’ scores in all areas of the ACT (English, Math, Reading, and Composite Score), except the area of Science Reasoning. Overall, the ACT scores of the ACE graduates were consistently lower than those of the public school students.”While the attitude toward studying shows no significant difference between the groups of public school and A.C.E., the average results between the two groups did show a difference. “ The Study Attitudes and Methods Survey (SAMS) was used to measure attitudes toward studying. Overall, Pantana found no significant difference in any of the measured areas of the three groups. The lowest grade point average mean for the first semester, however, was that of the ACE student group, which was 2.49, compared to the highest received by the public school students of 2.75. ACE students also demonstrated the lowest scores in the math percentile of the SAT/ACT with a score of 37.831, compared to the highest score received by the public school group of 43.446.

Contention 2: A.C.E. is indoctrination, not education.

A.C.E. teaches its curriculum with the largest possible skew toward Christian fundamentalism. Even administrators within the educational system admit this when discussing the sort of sources they utilize in teaching information. “Naturally, [A.C.E. relies] more heavily on reputable conservative whose work and criticism reflect theistic philosophical beliefs. A.C.E. does not subscribe to academic works simply because they are considered to be scholarly or critical. Sources…must be at least pro-life, pro-marriage, and pro-church…” Kelley adds, “Humanism is a term often mentioned and a concept reviled by Howard and other fundamentalist Christians. Fundamentalist Christians believe that Humanism consists of five basic concepts: atheism, immorality, evolution, the belief that man can do anything he wants do, and ecumenism [a belief in worldwide unity among all Christian religions] (Peshkin, 1987, p. 77). Howard founded ACE on the dogma of separation from the humanistic world and Biblical orthodoxy (Hunter, 1982). Davis (1990) quotes Howard as stating in 1987 that the National Education Association promotes a liberal leftist philosophy against the radical right,that gay teachers are a perversion of lifestyles taught in the schools, and that sex education is one of the fruits of humanism.”” “In 1987 Fleming and Hunt, professors of education at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, did a similar curriculum review of ACE materials which focused specifically on ACE social studies PACEs for grades seven through eleven. The researchers noted that ACE seemed to present history strictly from the authors’ viewpoint, using only a fundamentalist context. Fleming and Hunt reported many ACE and College Preparedness instances in the materials where the bias of the author takes over, and the facts are

distorted or inaccurate (p. 523). Fleming and Hunt gave an example of this bias in the presentation of an almost paranoid fear of Communist conspiracy in all aspects of modern life and the way in which the authors so negatively portray the United Nations (p. 523).

http://mds.marshall.edu...

Lightningstar

Pro

Lightningstar forfeited this round.
TheSilentHorseman

Con

I extend all of my arguments. I still await my opponent's response.
Lightningstar

Pro

Lightningstar forfeited this round.
Lightningstar

Pro

Lightningstar forfeited this round.
TheSilentHorseman

Con

TheSilentHorseman forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
LightningstarTheSilentHorsemanTied
Reasons for voting decision: More rounds forfeited by Pro and Con was the only one to make arguments.