nadlor1
thenewkidd

Does the Bible copy mythology and other religions?

thenewkidd

nadlor1

Con

I am debating that the Bible does not take mythology and is based on its own ideas. I will be demonstrating that the other religions have actually taken the Bible stories and put it in their religion. I will be discussing that the Bible has no contradictions but it does have many translations. But this does not mean its infallible. Lastly, I will be presenting that the Bible can be misunderstood when people put their own "feelings" into it. My opponent can start off with the conversation.
thenewkidd

Pro

This could be interesting,
Though I am a man of faith and believe in the bible, I believe I can find fault in many of your arguments and will challenge you thusly.
nadlor1

Con

nadlor1 forfeited this round.
thenewkidd

Pro

Though it's technically over since my opponent opted out on posting his arguments (and since said "I can go first".. I opted out to go first).. I will post the first half of what I prepared for kicks.
The Bible was compiled in 367 AD. The bible as we know it today only has existed for about 1600 years or so. So for anything of other religious stories had to be copied from

this book it would have had to be compiled after the fact. Which would mean if there are other religions with stories that existed before that time could be possible that the

Bible "copied" from them.

Let's start with Atenism was a religion with writings that have existed since about 14th century BC with some of the oldest religous texts found.
Buddhism also has writings from the 6th and 4th centeries BC.
And with Druidism having writings just before 200 to 50 BC.
All way before the Bible was even thought to be compiled.

As I'm sure not everything has to be "written" to create a story we have Greek and Roman Gods and their Mythos that far outdate the creativity of the bible, but the Greek

Religion has been around since 1200BC so the story of Prometheus coming to earth to create human kind out of mud/clay outdates the story told of Adam and Eve in the bible

some 1300 years later. As we say in Psalms 90:3.. Back to dust after we die which infers that were were made from dust as we cannot go back to (or revert) to something if we

were not in that state before. When we die we go back to dust wich infers we were made from Dust.
Interesting that the Greeks made us from the ground and the bible infers the same thing. and The bible wasn't plagiarized at all from Greek Mythos?

http://www.biblica.com...
http://messagenetcommresearch.com...
http://www.greekmythology.com...
nadlor1

Con

nadlor1 forfeited this round.
thenewkidd

Pro

See Arguments Above.
nadlor1

Con

nadlor1 forfeited this round.
thenewkidd

Pro

I guess it is over.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
There were several local floods that Mosheh(Moses) or whoever wrote Genesis, since many historians now believe that Moses never existed.
Trojan Flood, Black Sea Flood, Nile Flood and of course the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Take your pick, but the Tigris/Euphrates (Epic of Gilgamesh) appears to be the most probable, since a tablet was found on the top of the highest building in Ur, stating that the world was covered in water.
Which actually meant that there was water as far as his/her eyes could see, likely only around 10 miles from the observer. so a 10 mile radius from Ur was covered by water.
The Bible writers had been told about the tablet and took this to mean the entire Earth was covered by water, thus the Genesis story.
Posted by thenewkidd 3 years ago
thenewkidd
I had that in my notes.... :)
Plus another.
Posted by GKING14 3 years ago
GKING14
Actually, this debate should be over in the first round. The story of the flood was a Mesopotamian tale that was told 1,000 years before it was written about in the bible. It is perhaps the oldest story on Earth. Here is the link: http://www.ancienttexts.org...
Posted by thenewkidd 3 years ago
thenewkidd
And he wasn't that specific...
He didn't say "monotheistic" he just say "religion"
Posted by thenewkidd 3 years ago
thenewkidd
Shhh... don't give away too many "secrets" .. yet :)
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Makes me wonder about animistic and polytheistic religions that existed long before Abraham one has been traced back 70,000 years.
Surely the argument only applies to Monotheist religions, though likely even Buddhism existed long before Abraham lived.
Should be interesting.
Posted by thenewkidd 3 years ago
thenewkidd
Yes, but his argument is that any stories in other religions similar to the bible would have had to come from the bible first as if those stories were "plagiarized".

We shall see.
Posted by Forte 3 years ago
Forte
Of course the Bible is going to share similar ideas from other religions, considering it is one of several religions with Abrahamic roots. I wouldn't consider it "copying," rather they had the same source material.
Posted by GeminiContractor 3 years ago
GeminiContractor
I hope that Pro mentions where Abraham (the patriarch) and his predecessors lived.
Posted by LiberalLogic101 3 years ago
LiberalLogic101
Following.

Tip : watch Zetigeist : The Movie. It's on Netflix. It's mainly crap, and turn it off before you get to the part about 9/11, which is interesting also, but also largely crap.

However, what the movie doesn't vastly conspiracize (which is not a word, but I think it SHOULD be a word), it brings up good points on. I certainly wouldn't use it as a source, but I would take some of the things it mentions and find actual sources on them. Very interesting documentary.
Vote Placed by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
nadlor1thenewkiddTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con Forfeited, Pro provided the only argument and had better conduct
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
nadlor1thenewkiddTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.