dsjpk5
amigodana

Does the Bible teach Sola Scriptura?

dsjpk5

dsjpk5

Con

Definition:
Sola Scriptura: The doctrine that every single religious belief a Christian should believe in is found in the Bible. Therefore, the Bible teaches Christians should go by the Bible ALONE on the subject of faith and morals.

Rules:
10,000 characters per round
5 rounds
72 hours per round
We will use the King James version of the Bible
As my opponent is taking the Pro position, first round is NOT for acceptance. He should begin his arguments now.
In order to keep the rounds fair, my opponent will NOT post an argument in the final round. Instead, he will simply type "No round as agreed."
amigodana

Pro

Revelation 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

"his name is called The Word of God"

Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

"in my name, he shall teach you all things"
dsjpk5

Con

I want to thank my opponent for suggesting the debate topic and for accepting my challenge.

After reading my opponent's opening statement, however, it appears I should remind him what exactly we are debating: "Does the Bible teach Sola Scriptura?" I only say that because the arguments he offered don't even mention the scriptures. Actually, my opponent didn't really make an argument... He just posted a bunch of Bible verses without explaining to us why he thinks they're relevant. If the resolution were: "My opponent is unable to post Bible verses.", then I would've just lost. Fortunately for me, that's not what we're debating.

THE WORD OF GOD

Pro twice posts a verse calling Jesus the "Word of God". I'm not sure why he did, but he did. I don't deny this. The Bible calls three different things the Word of God (Jesus, the scriptures, and the spoken words of God). For examples of all three instances, I give you the following verses:

Word of God referring to Jesus:

Word of God referring to scripture:

Mark 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13 Making the WORD OF GOD of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Word of God referring to the spoken word of God:

1 Chronicles 17:3 And it came to pass the same night, that the WORD OF GOD came to Nathan, saying,

4 Go and tell David my servant, Thus saith the Lord, Thou shalt not build me an house to dwell in:

So we can clearly see that the Bible uses the phrase "word of God" to describe three different things:

1. Jesus
2. Scripture
3. God's spoken word

Certainly Pro is not trying to say that Jesus is the Bible, for example. If he is, I would have to ask if Christians are supposed to worship the Bible.

Pro then posts a Bible verse that says we can only find salvation in Jesus. I say Amen to that, but must point out that this verse has nothing to do with our debate topic: Does the Bible teach Sola Scriptura?

Finally, Pro posts a verse that says the Holy Spirit was sent to "teach you all things."

This verse actually hurts Pro's position because if the Holy Spirit teaches us "all things", then that contradicts the claim that we should ONLY use the Bible when searching for religious truths. After all, we can just ask the Holy Spirit for guidance.

So we can clearly see from the verse mentioned above that the Bible doesn't teach we should ONLY use the Bible.

Back to Pro. I look forward to reading his next response!
amigodana

Pro

John 5:34 "But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved."

John 5:35 "He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light."

John 5:36 "" But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me."

John 5:37 "And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape."

John 5:38 "And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not."

John 5:39 "" Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

John 5:40 "And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life."

John 5:41 "I receive not honour from men."

Luke 10:25 "" And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

Luke 10:26 "He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?"

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

2 Peter 2:16 "But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb %ss speaking with man"s voice forbad the madness of the prophet."

2 Peter 2:17 "These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever."

2 Peter 2:18 "For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error."

Psalms 138:2 "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."
dsjpk5

Con

Well, my opponent still hasn't made ANY arguments, but at least the passages He offered this time actually mention scripture. Unfortunately for him, none of them say Christians should ONLY use the scriptures on the subject of faith and morals.

Notice:

The passage from John says we should "search the scriptures", and I would agree with that. But it doesn't say "search the scriptures ALONE" And that's what we're debating. Both me and my opponent agree the Bible teaches we should read the Bible when discerning religious truths, but the question is does it teach we should ONLY use the Bible when doing so? So far, Pro hasn't offered any evidence to support his claim.

The same can be said for the passage from Acts.

As for the passage from 2 Peter, again Pro has offered a passage that actually HURTS his claim. Here's how:

2 Peter 3:16 says that ignorant people twist the meaning of scriptures. The is means that reading the Bible alone is NOT good enough. We have to have some learning first, so as not to be ignorant. And if we need to learn, that implies we need a teacher. And that implies we need something more than scripture.

The Psalm Pro offered only says how great God's word is. I agree, but were not debating if the Bible is great. We're debating "Does the Bible teach Sola Scriptura?"
amigodana

Pro

Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

1 John 2:25 "And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life."

1 John 2:26 "These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you."

1 John 2:27 "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

Jeremiah 17:5 "" Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD."

Malachi 3:6 "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed."

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 1:2 "The same was in the beginning with God."

1 Timothy 3:16 "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 14:7 "If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."

1 John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

2 Timothy 3:14 "But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;"

2 Timothy 3:15 "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

2 Timothy 3:17 "That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

Revelation 22:18 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

Revelation 22:19 "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."
dsjpk5

Con

Once AGAIN, Pro has not offered any arguments for his position.
Posting Bible verses without explaining why you think they're relevant
is not an argument. We're basically left having to guess what he's
thinking. Also, once AGAIN, some of the verses/passages don't even
mention scripture, and as such, are irrelevant to our debate. With
this in mind, I won't be responding to those verses (as I deem them
irrelevant). If my opponent were to ever attempt to explain why he
believes them to be relevant, maybe then I could refute them. I invite
him to do so.

I will now respond to the verses that mention scripture:

1 John 2:25 "And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even
eternal life."

1 John 2:26 "These things have I written unto you concerning them that
seduce you."

1 John 2:27 "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in
you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing
teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it
hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

My response:

Again, this passage doesn't say that God ONLY teaches us via the
scriptures. I agree that God teaches us through scripture, but that's
not what we're debating. The question is does the Bible teach that God teaches us via the scriptures ALONE. This passage clearly doesn't make such a claim.

My response:

I am puzzled why my opponent posted this verse. It says Timothy should trust Paul. But if we're only supposed to trust the Bible, why would we be told.to trust Paul?

2 Timothy 3:15 "And that from a child thou hast known the holy
scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through
faith which is in Christ Jesus."

My response:

Sure scripture can make you wise, but this passage doesn't say it's the ONLY thing that can make you wise, So again, this verse doesn't support Sola Scriptura.

2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is
profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction
in righteousness:"

My response: I agree that script is profitable/helpful in all of those things, but that's not what we're debating. The verse doesn't say that scriptures are the ONLY thing profitable for those things.

My response:

Clearly this verse isn't being literal, because the Bible says the same thing about perseverance:

James 1:4New International Version (NIV)

4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

So here we see the Bible says BOTH scripture and perseverance are needed. So actually, those two verses DENY the doctrine of Sola Scriptura.

Revelation 22:18 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words
of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things,
God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

Revelation 22:19 "And if any man shall take away from the words of the
book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of
life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written
in this book."

My response:

I agree that no one should remove or add a single word to the book of Revelation, but that's not what we're debating. Although this passage refers to a book of scripture, it doesn't say we should ONLY use the Bible when discerning an issue concerning faith and morals.
amigodana

Pro

James 3:1 "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."

James 3:2 "For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."

Proverbs 16:18 "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Proverbs 3:5 "" Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Proverbs 1:7 "" The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 15:32 "He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding."

2 Corinthians 4:1 "Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;"
2 Corinthians 4:2 "But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man"s conscience in the sight of God."
2 Corinthians 4:3 "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:"
2 Corinthians 4:4 "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."
2 Corinthians 4:5 "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus" sake."

2 Peter 1:19 "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"
2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."
2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

John 8:23 "And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world."
John 8:24 "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."
John 8:25 "Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning."

John 14:11 "Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works" sake."

Acts 4:11 "This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner."

"none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
"and his name is called The Word of God."

Colossians 1:18 "And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."
Colossians 1:19 "For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;"

Isaiah 55:8 "" For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."
Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:10 "For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:"
Isaiah 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

Deuteronomy 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Psalms 82:5 "They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course."
Psalms 82:6 "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."
Psalms 82:7 "But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes."

Matthew 7:13 "" Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:"
Matthew 7:14 "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

John 10:9 "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."

1 John 2:21 "I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth."
1 John 2:22 "Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son."
1 John 2:23 "Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also."
1 John 2:24 "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One Response: Con broke his own rule of "We will use the King James version of the Bible" By quoting from the NIV

Let me correct him to the agreed upon Bible.

James 1:4 "But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."

Please Judge accordingly, Thank you.
dsjpk5

Con

I will begin this final round with my final rebuttals, and then proceed
with my arguments for my position. I would like to thank my opponent
for reminding me that we agreed to use the King James version of the
Bible. That was an oversight on my part, and I apologize for that. In
that same spirit, I would like to remind my opponent that the rules
state that he is to only type "No round as agreed." in this round in
order to keep the number of rounds fair.

REBUTTALS

Well, not surprisingly, my opponent again has not offered any arguments to support his claim. All he has done is list a bunch of Bible verses (most of which aren't relevant to the topic at hand).

There are a few that he posted that refer to scripture, and to those I
will respond.:

Pro offered:

2 Corinthians 4:1 "Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have
received mercy, we faint not;"
2 Corinthians 4:2 "But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty,
not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully;
but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man"s
conscience in the sight of God."
2 Corinthians 4:3 "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are
lost:"
2 Corinthians 4:4 "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds
of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of
Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."
2 Corinthians 4:5 "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the
Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus" sake."

My response:

I agree that we should not handle sculpture deceitfully, but that's not
what we're debating. We're debating the question: "Does the Bible
teach Sola Scriptura?"

Pro offered:

2 Peter 1:19 "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye
do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark
place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"
2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is
of any private interpretation."
2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man:
but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

My response:

I agree that prophecy is trustworthy, but that verse doesn't say it the
ONLY thing that's trustworthy. So no Sola Scriptura here.

Pro offered:

Isaiah 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it
shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I
please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

My response:
"Out of my mouth" clearly refers to God's SPOKEN word, so this verse
does not refer to scripture, and is therefore irrelevant to this debate.

Pro offered:

1 John 2:24 "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from
the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall
remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."

My response:

Notice the verse mentions "which he have heard from the beginning..."
This is not talking about scripture (since you READ scripture). So
this verse actually NEGATES the doctrine of Sola Sacriptura since it
teaches we can trust something other than scripture.

MY ARGUMENTS

I wanted my opponent to get a chance to post all the verses and
arguments he wished before I made mine. I did this in order to prove
my point that NOWHERE in the Bible does it say that we should trust the Bible ALONE in matters of faith and morals. Sure it says we should
trust the Bible, but it never says to ONLY trust the Bible. And that's
the whole point. Because in order for the doctrine of Sola Scriptura
to be true, that SPECIFIC doctrine must be taught in the Bible. But
it's not. So Sola Scriptura is in fact a self-refuting doctrine. My
opponent has had several rounds to offer even ONE verse that teaches
this doctrine, and clearly has failed to do so. As a matter of fact,
most of the verses he posted didn't even mention scripture.

BIBLE VERSES THAT NEGATE SOLA SCRIPTURA

2 Thessalonians 2:15King James Version (KJV)

15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye
have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Here we see the Bible telling us to hold to ALL the traditions that
were given to us, regardless if they were ever written down or not.
This negates the doctrine of going by the Bible alone (Sola Scriptura).

2 Timothy 2:1-2King James Version (KJV)

1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

So here we have the Apostle Paul telling Timothy to teach others what he has HEARD from him, and not just what he has written to Timothy.
This negates the doctrine of going by scripture alone.

So we can clearly see that my opponent was unable to offer even ONE verse to support his claim, and I've just given you two that support mine.

SUMMARY OF THE DEBATE

I don't see how my opponent thought he could possibly win votes for best arguments when he never posted an argument. Listing Bible verses without explaining why you think they support your claim is NOT an argument.
amigodana

Pro

No round as agreed.
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
Quote:
"Pope Francis issued a blistering critique Monday of the Vatican bureaucracy that serves him, denouncing how some people lust for power at all costs, live hypocritical double lives and suffer from "spiritual Alzheimer"s" that has made them forget they"re supposed to be joyful men of God."

Source:
http://www.theepochtimes.com...

I guess its everyone else that lusts for power except for him right?
Its always the other guy, how convenient!
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
Have you ever heard of Malachi's List?

Scroll down in the article to that chapter, for more info if you don't know who he was.

http://rt.com...
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
You think this is false?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com...
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
God wrote it through them;

Psalms 45:1 My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Don't you understand, or should I say, don't you believe?
You are trying to turn man into God.

What is completely false?
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Well then, I guess I can't trust anything Paul wrote...

Does not your cognitive thinking skills teach you that no man can be trusted? Just as the scriptures say. Flesh cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven, yet you trust in another mans flesh?
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Completely false.

Do you just ignore that they tortured and killed people for reading the Word for many years. Yet you say its from Christ? That is what you consider cognitive thinking. They tell you not to listen to the bible but to listen to them. And you think that is from Christ?
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
There are holocaust deniers Too!
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana

This is what you think cognitive thinking is?
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
The bible is not man's words!
The word is God!
Vote Placed by GarretKadeDupre 2 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
dsjpk5amigodanaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con won most convincing arguments points by default by actually having arguments. Pro loses conduct points for being extremely lazy by not actually making any arguments, and just copying and pasting from the Bible.
Vote Placed by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
dsjpk5amigodanaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was an easy vote as Pro did not even attempt to make an argument. Furthermore, Con's scriptural references supported his position more so than Pro's scriptural references supported his.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
dsjpk5amigodanaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate goes to Con as it isn't until the 4th round where he would offer a rebutle to Con's arguments and even then it wasn't much of a counter argument. So with that and concidering that many points by Con were dropped this debate goes to Con.