Does the bible contradict itself?

The question we are debating about here is whether the Holy Bible of Christians contradicts itself. My position will be For/ Pro, the bible contradicts itself. Your position will be against this topic.

1 Round- Opening Statement
2 Round- Argument and Rebuttal's
3 Round- Conclusion

I accept the challenge and the format. I just want to define the terms or the understanding upfront. By contradiction, we mean a understand that the total violation of the meaning. We must understand that when more than one person gives an account of the same incident, you will have a difference of reporting. The next think I would like to raise is the issues of variations and how they came to be and how they have not compromised the meaning and message of the Holy Bible. I would also like us to know that everything in the bible is in the context in which it was written and it should not be deemed as contradictions but it must be seen in its context. When seeking an interpretation, we must interpret the scriptures in the context of which it is written. We must establish what the author is saying and to whom he/ she is saying it to. We must see it within the context of the culture as well.

For further clarification, I understand contradictions to mean where a person is saying one thing and then goes and contradicts what he/ she said. However, if one person said something and another say something else, then that is not a contradiction. If this be the understanding, then I am good to go. However, if you have a different understanding, please use the comments facility so that we won't waste rounds.

Thanks for the opportunity.

To begin this debate I would like to start with one of the Bible's well known phrases, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians:28) From this it conveys the idea that everyone is created equal.
However, the bible also states this,"In those days also I saw the Jews who had married women of Ashdod, Ammon, and Moab. And half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod, and they could not speak the language of Judah, but only the language of each people. And I confronted them and cursed them and beat some of them and pulled out their hair. And I made them take oath in the name of God, saying, "You shall not give your daughters to their sons, or take their daughters for your sons or for yourselves. Did not Solomon king of Israel sin on account of such women? Among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was beloved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel. Nevertheless, foreign women made even him to sin. Shall we then listen to you and do all this great evil and act treacherously against our God by marrying foreign women?" (Nehemiah 13:23-30) From this quote there is a definite relationship with segregation and it tries to provoke racially discriminatory and genocide. This definitely does not follow the Bible's words of everyone is created equal.

Thank you for the opportunity to debate on such an important topic. However, I was expecting quite a few examples. Nevertheless, I will deal with the one example you offered as a contradiction.

As a Christian, I do not see any contradiction in the verses you quoted but I think that the "contradiction" stated must first be framed correctly. GOD forbade that the children of Israel marry anyone that worships another god. Remember, the first commandment. Thou shall worship the LORD, thy GOD. In Isaiah, the prophet preached that there"s no other god before or after Yahweh.

If you look in the scriptures, the Israelites where even commanded to accept people outside their culture just as long as the worship the GOD of Israel. The nations in question in Nehemiah were nations that were always in conflict with Israel. The people of Ashdod even stole the Ark of the Covenant. Now remember that the people of Israel were in captivity and that they were beginning to lose their identity and they were marrying wives who worshipped strange gods and practiced some strange rituals. In order to live this strange lifestyles, the children of Israel had to go against a covenant that GOD made with them like keeping the Sabbath. This was the issue.

Nehemiah was not being prejudiced but he was protecting the priesthood and the Israelite nation.
The issue is not that they were unequal but that they worshipped another god/ gods. Now when we read the Bible we must read all of it and not just lift text out of context.

Look at the story of the Good Samaritan. The Jews looked down at this nation and yet JESUS called the Samaritan a neighbor and JESUS taught that we should love our neighbors as ourselves.

So when you take all of the bible, you see a common thread. We are all equal in the body of CHRIST. Remember, GOD loved the world that HE gave HIS only begotten SON and if we, irrespective of what our race or nationality, accept JESUS as our LORD and SAVIOUR, we will spend eternity with HIM

When we examine all of the scripture within its context, we find that there is no contradiction. The Website that you cited, demonstrated this. I suggest that you continue to find these "contradictions" and then test them to check if they really are contradictions. I am willing to help you in this regard. even after this debate is done.

I do not know the answers to all the questions but everytime I thought there was a contradiction, a further examination proved otherwise. This is one debate I do not mind losing just as long as we can come to know the Bible a little better.. I am even prepared to study with you. In fact I encourage everyone to challenge the credibility of the Bible. It is a great way to study the Bible.

GOD bless you as you study HIS word.

I'm sorry to say, but you did not cite any of your sources so I cannot approve,officially, if what you are saying is correct. How do you know if the practices, gods, and lifestyles the wives chose to live by were strange? Isn't this based more on an opinion then an actual facts. In my quote from before, Nehemiah 13:23-30, it is saying that by marrying these foreign women, the people are doing an act of treachery against their god. However if everyone is equal no matter their ethnicity, language, etc. shouldn't religion also count? If god is willing to let go of virtually everything that makes up that person so that everybody is equal how come there is no acceptance of people from other religions. It sounds like you are preaching your religion. I also have no intention of studying the bible, but thank you for your offer.

My apology for not citing anything more than what you submitted. My argument is still based on the Bible. The very reference that you appealed to in order for you to make your case. SO this means that I am bringing no new citations to the debate. Rather than try to explain Nehemiah, I decided to allow Nehemiah to speak for himself. Again, as I pointed out in the acceptance stage we must not read anything out of context.

Let’s look at Nehemiah chapter 13 again. What is Nehemiah reporting? N verse 2 already he states what the Ammonites and Moabites have brought to the Israelites. That is the curse of Balaam.

Then if you read further in the same chapter, you will read about people profaning the Sabbath and also you will find that they used the actual temple of GOD for other purposes other than worship the Creator of the universe. I am not sure if you do understand the implications of these acts.

This whole chapter is about Nehemiah’s attempt to re-install a sense of sacredness and a sense of GOD’s order upon the children of Israel.

Now let’s talk about exclusivism issue that you raise. The scripture you cited… Neither Jew nor Gentile……. is actually not a contradiction but a unifying factor through the acceptance of GOD. This is what GOD stated in the Old Testament in the first commandment. We should serve the LORD, our GOD and before HIM and apart from HIM there should be no other GOD. SO it does not matter what your cultural difference is, you can be united just by recognizing and worshipping the GOD that made our existence possible.

Further to that, the atonement of JESUS CHRIST is not exclusive to the Israelites but to anyone who wishes accept the gift of eternal life. The Bible states that we all have sinned and have fallen short of GOD’s glory. The Bible also states that the wages of sin is death but the gift of GOD is eternal life. If only we come to love GOD who first loved us, then it does not matter whether we are Jews, Gentiles, men, woman etc. – we are united by the sacrifice that saves us.

Now about your decline of my offer to study the Bible – I cannot understand how you would want to debate about the credibility of a book that you refuse to study. The bible says that we must study to show ourselves approved. The offer to study still stands. I just suggest that by studying, you will be in a very much better position to have a meaningful debate.

In summary – the argument based on your example “There are contradictions in the Bible” fails on the bases that the argument did not see the scripture in the context they were written. GOD bless you.

Posted by BobbyPandaram 1 year ago
I wish you posted all the "contradictions" so that i could respond to all. My frea is that if we do one or two per round then we might not get through everything.
Posted by BobbyPandaram 1 year ago
i think round two will be for opening statements. Rounds three and four will be for rebuttals and round five will be for closing statements.
Vote Placed by a_drumming_dog 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: I feel that Con was successful in rebutting Pro's objection. Indeed, Pro should have brought more objections than just the one in Nehemiah. Although Pro was the only one who provided resources, I will not give the point to her because Con was using essentially the same source as her and did not really need to provide any other sources than the bible itself.