WFTL
Challenge Expired
Open Debate

Does the bible have more than one interpretation for all of us, I say no, what do you say?

Debate Challenge Expired
Nobody accepted the challenge for this debate. If you are WFTL, login to see your options.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Challenge Declined

WFTL

Pro

I will be affirming the bible indeed has only one interpretation for all.

I have set the standard for only those of the age of 35 with a minimum of 15 debates, no exceptions, so please don't ask.

You must use scripture only, and no copy/paste allowed. In Christian love.
Posted by dsjpk5 4 days ago
dsjpk5
Very well said. Good observations!
Posted by WalkingTarget 4 days ago
WalkingTarget
I agree, if he wants a sola scriptura debate, he should change the resolution. That said, I am happy that there wont be copy/pasting but does that go the the copious amounts of bible verses WFTL likes to post? the blatant plagiarism is one thing to avoid but if he is going to be typing all those out by hand, it flares my carpal tunnel up just thinking about it. Also, how would he prove that his opponent is not copy/pasting bible verses and how can he show he wont be doing the same thing?
Posted by dsjpk5 5 days ago
dsjpk5
You really should change your resolution and your first round offering. It's too easy to defeat.
Posted by V5RED 5 days ago
V5RED
Too bad about the age, I would have accepted and given how loosy the post is worded, I would have won with 2 sentences.
Posted by stcornerap 6 days ago
stcornerap
Are you talking about Christians? Or other religions that claim the God of the Bible like Mormonism and Islam? Like I said I love your passion for the Lord but I do feel I should mention that often times it's hard to understand what you mean. Just like you Church of Christ post. I still don't know 100% if you're talking about the actual physical church that's named "Church of Christ" or Christianity. I wish I could understand the point you're trying to get across because I really want to support you but I'm not always sure where you're coming from. I'm hoping we're on the same page and I'm just not picking up what you're putting down my friend.
Posted by WFTL 6 days ago
WFTL
Yes XDM, I am a man, and the words are from the bible are meant for man to read. Confusion is caused when man doesn't study, thus man comes up with misunderstanding because of it.

People tend to believe whatever they've been told by their loved one's throughout generations, and because of never disputing that their loved one would ever tell them wrong, they end up repeating the same false doctrine generation after generation, and all they had to do was simply study for themselves and they would know what's being said.

Even when they know the truth some rather not upset the boat, so to speak, and willingly and knowingly continue to believe a lie given to them with all sincerity and ignorance.

The bible is clear and one can understand what it says, and here's just one of many examples. Tell me your understanding of what this verse is saying, ready, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, he that believeth not shall be damned, now tell me honestly what this verse implies for one to do in order to be saved".
Posted by stcornerap 6 days ago
stcornerap
XDM has a point. Our understanding only goes as far as our understanding. We can't limit God's understanding, actions, or reasoning based on our own understanding. Or as God said to Job "where were you?" I'm just a little puzzled how great, extreamly educated people who have devoted there life's work to God can come to the conclusion that we just can't understand everything for sure, and that different Christians lean to different sides of the fence on some secondary subjects, but somehow you know everything. I'm really not trying to argue, just trying to figure out how you validate bending God to your viewpoint. The only way to defend your view would be to say that God would choose my view point if it differed from your own. If the text isn't crystal clear it would mean you're making a decision for God. Or you could go the route of saying God couldn't do my view point, then you are limiting the power of God to the box you have created. Sometimes we just have to admit that on some subjects which don't know for sure and that good people feel different ways about it. Otherwise in one way or another you're choosing to limit God.
Posted by XDM 6 days ago
XDM
You are a man. No matter what, your interpretation will be that of a man lol.
Posted by WFTL 6 days ago
WFTL
stcornerap, yes you're right, man comes up with all kinds of different interpretations, but there all based on man's desire to do things their way, instead of God's way, as the bible has only one actual way to be understood by all.

It's not my interpretation as you say, it's always been what's the bible says, and it can be read and understood as such, if one studies. As I said, man adds their own interpretations or are easily swayed by what others say the bible says instead of studying for themselves.
Posted by stcornerap 6 days ago
stcornerap
Lots of good, intelligent , God loving Christians have different thoughts on different subjects. I'm not sure your point of view would be supported, even by Christians. We're not always given all the information we need to have all the answers. I.e. Old Earth vs Young Earth. There are a lot of secondary topics that don't effect ones salvation that are interpreted differently by different people. I appreciate your passion my friend. My only advice is that we should not limit God based on the limits of our own understanding. I'm not saying you don't understand something, I'm just saying that more options exist when we understand that God doesnt fit in the box that most of us (myself included) create for Him.