RockRiche
Jakeross6

Does the bible truly tells believers of the true Jesus-Christ to not judge one another?

Jakeross6

RockRiche

Con

Lately I have heard many are saying let us not judge one another and let God be the judge. But does the bible truly teach this concept? If the bible in fact teach that, is that why lawlessness is becoming the principle of our new generation?

I do not believe that the bible teach that at all.
Jakeross6

Pro

As a disclaimer, I am an atheist, so I do not believe in the bible. However, I know for a fact that Jesus teaches us not to judge one another. Also, any contradictions in the bible do not negate the fact that it at least in part teaches not to judge one another. I will be making my case off of this passage:

Matthew 7:1-3
King James Version (KJV)
Chapter 7
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (http://www.biblegateway.com...)

This is all I need to provide to prove the bible teaches its believes not to judge others. Anything that contradicts this is irrelevant as the question was "does the bible truly teach not to judge?" The plain and simple fact is that it does and the reason there is so much lawlessness is that immoral people exist.
RockRiche

Con

RockRiche forfeited this round.
Jakeross6

Pro

Ok then. Great forfeit.
RockRiche

Con

RockRiche forfeited this round.
Jakeross6

Pro

Ugh I hate forfeits...
Posted by 2-D 3 years ago
2-D
"Claiming to once have been a Christian (especially at 19 years of age) does not lend credence to your arguments either."

This challenge is common. The parable of tares clearly demonstrates that no one can know who is a believer or who was not. I thought of myself as a believer for many years as did Pro. This does add credibility in religious discussions since we both share a background of belief. Faith is the most common foundational proof for God that many religious and nonbelievers have shared.
Posted by Jakeross6 3 years ago
Jakeross6
http://www.debate.org...

I will not comment on the debate here, but please watch and vote on the debate.
Posted by janetsanders733 3 years ago
janetsanders733
TrueScotsman is correct. Context is very important to what is being said in the message. You have to let the verses speak for themselves, and not just put what you think into it. Once you understand the context, then you can argue your point.
Posted by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
Challenge sent.
Posted by Jakeross6 3 years ago
Jakeross6
You can set up a debate if you like. I would ask that it be 3 rounds with 10000 characters with no acceptance rounds- just head right out with your arguments. I assure you that my age has not limited my knowledge of the bible or its concepts.
Posted by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
Interpretations aren't just arbitrarily applied Jakeross6, one must look at the context of the statements in order to establish what the intended message was.

So to say, "The same passage can be interpreted to say that we should not judge." Only goes to demonstrate that you aren't even taking into account that this interpretation might in fact be wrong. So the real debate is whether or not Jesus' statements in Matthew 7 prohibit judging of all kinds. Which the analogy of the plank refutes your case.

Claiming to once have been a Christian (especially at 19 years of age) does not lend credence to your arguments either.

If RockRiche does not come back to respond to your arguments, I would love to debate this topic to demonstrate where your error lies.
Posted by Jakeross6 3 years ago
Jakeross6
The same passage can be interpreted to say that we should not judge. But we will see how this debate goes. I was once a Christian as well.
Posted by janetsanders733 3 years ago
janetsanders733
Actually, Jakeross6 It is talking about, do not be a Hypocritical Judge to your brother or sister in Christ. If you see your brother in Christ sinning and you judge him, but you are committing the same sin then you are being hypocritical. That is why Jesus said "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother"s eye." We as Christians have to hold each other accountable in the faith. If we see our brother or sister sinning, then we are not supposed to hate them and be harsh towards them, but rather hold them accountable towards each other in their walk with Christ.
Posted by Jakeross6 3 years ago
Jakeross6
If he can argue against Jesus's words, I will be impressed.
Posted by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
Not sure why an atheist of limited knowledge in this category took up this debate. No offense intended here, but it demonstrable that you don't have much history with the hermeneutics and exegesis involved with ancient texts.

This I believe is demonstrated with statements like this: "Anything that contradicts this is irrelevant as the question was "does the bible truly teach not to judge?"

He essentially assumes his understanding of the text linked is correct and self-evident, as he did not extrapolate from the text that this is the intended meaning of the saying. Effectively he means, "anything that contradicts MY UNDERSTANDING is irrelevant, which in my humble opinion is an absurd stance.

Just some food for thought.

Kind Regards,
TrueScotsman
Vote Placed by 2-D 3 years ago
2-D
RockRicheJakeross6Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, dropped arguments, 0 sources and poor syntax in the four sentence opening. Landslide for Pro.