kanemsc14
kapanakismsc2014

Does the common app aid students in their college process, or does it cause unnecessary stress?

kanemsc14

Con

I believe that the common app is extremely unsuccessful in aiding students in their college search. The main objective of the common app is to help out students, when in reality it only puts more pressure and stress upon them. In addition, I could understand if all colleges and universities were a part of this, but that is unfortunately not the case. There is too much confusion regarding what needs to be done, and it is taking away from the bigger picture. Although some colleges are a part of this website, they also require additional information, making it confusing to tell what needs to be submitted. It also is not connected to the college board website, therefore the submission of grades, SAT scores, and transcripts are a completely different subject not even relative to the common app itself.
kapanakismsc2014

Pro

In comparison to the "old fashioned" college applications that were sent in by mail the Common Application is overall a much easier process. The whole purpose of the Common Application was made to make the college application process easier and less stressful for students, admissions advisors, parents, and everyone else involved. With internet access, documents and applications can now be sent within an instant, so it is much easier to get everything sent in with assurance that the school received it. Students also have to take initiative when applying to college. One of the main objectives of higher education is to become more independent so you are ready to go off into the working world. Getting a job also requires applications, so being able to apply to college will help you in the long run. Although SAT scores and transcripts are sent in separately it is not a difficult process to complete. If a student is determined to go to college they should at least be able to handle the admission process and everything else involved.
kanemsc14

Con

True that it prepares you for the real world, but job applications are extremely different than college applications. The process of applying for college costs money, and there is a completely different mindset. Also in the school system, not only is the Common App basically forced upon students, it often gives them no other choice of direction. Although not advised, applying for jobs is basically optional, however, I am NOT saying that it is a good or popular choice. High school students are basically forced once they reach their junior or senior year to use the Common App, apply for colleges, and that's basically all they hear. Students are never asked what they want to do in life, because all they ever hear about is the Common App. Not only is it forced upon students until breaking point, it is also extremely confusing, even for technology savvy teenagers.
kapanakismsc2014

Pro

College is not forced upon students, neither is getting a job. If a person decides not to go to college it is very likely that they will not have a high income job in the future. A high school diploma does not do much for the common person in this day and age. Students are by no stretch of the imagination forced to apply to college. It is highly suggested because adults want to see the younger generation succeed in all that they do. If a student is feeling forced to apply to college they should have the self dignity to stand up for themselves and do what they want with their life.
kanemsc14

Con

Self dignity is important yes, but when all a student hears 24/7 is college, it becomes less of a choice for them. And also, the amount of stress and pressure it causes is enormous. It takes a huge toll on students who are already trying to deal with senior year, and the great amount of work it entails. It is also extremely hard for students suffering with mental illnesses or any setback which effects the production of work or focusing. It is often difficult for those students to be able to focus even for a small amount of time, never mind the hours of time of 100% focus that is required for the Common App. Although the use of technology might appear to make it easier, it is not that simple. The opposing argument states that the one step application process is all that it takes, when in reality it is much more than that. In addition to filling out the "one application" colleges also have additional information they want, but it is not clearly written out.
kapanakismsc2014

Pro

I think that you are coming from a very narrow mind set. Many schools are not focused on getting students into college, their main objective is to just get kids through high school. Coming from a school that is college prep, yes this may be the case, but some schools in lower income areas just try to get students through high school so they can get some sort of job to support themselves. Depending on the school there is supplementary work required, but if a student is not motivated enough to do they extra work there is still a vast amount of schools with extra work required. It is possible for everyone to go to college and gain a higher education, it is just the amount of effort they are willing to put forth to reach their goals that stands in their way.
kanemsc14

Con

I actually think I have an extremely wide mind set, but whatever gets you through the night. I am more focused on the level of issues it causes with students. From personal experience, I can attest to the difficulty and stress that it causes. The amount of work that students are expected to do on a daily basis is actually in real life ridiculous. The so called easy, stress free Common App just adds to that. Besides the fact that it is extremely long and tiresome, it does not clearly outline what is needed to be done. I understand the concept of it, but I don't think that they portray it very well. It is supposed to be an easy way for students to apply to college, but requires much more than simplicity. If it was to be effective, I think that the colleges on it should be unanimous with what they want from applicants. There is too much diversity for it to be all under one system.
kapanakismsc2014

Pro

Whether it be the common app, or any other type of application it will be a long, and sometimes difficult process. College is by no stretch of the imagination an easy task whether it be applying, getting in, or the actual education itself. If the common app seems stressful once you get to college the work will be just as hard. College is a part of growing up, when filling out the application there are many people for students to turn to for help, parents, teachers, councilors, ect. In college there is a limited amount of resources to turn to for help and students should understand that the application is just the first step of the process.
kanemsc14

Con

Thank you for those wonderful words of wisdom, captain. From now on, students will be notified that they will receive zero help in any college process, and if they can not figure it out on their own, it is their fault and they shall live the rest of their life feeling like a failure because college should be easy for the average person. If there is a limited amount of resources available, that is the fault of no one except the college itself. I would never want to go to a college that requires students to figure everything out on their own. People age 50 are still trying to figure out what they want to do in life, age 18 means nothing. You are also incorrect when you state that there are limited resources available for college students, because there are college councilors whose lives are devoted to helping out college students, because contrary to popular belief, not everything that is easy for one person is easy for another!!! The Common App provides excess unnecessary questions and confusion that causes nothing but issues.

Thank you for debating me, and have a great day.

Xoxo, Laur
kapanakismsc2014

Pro

Hello, for one last time old sport. None of what you wrote was what I was implying. I was trying to state the point that once students are in college they have a lot of work to do that is on their own. This could include: school work, making their own meals, doing their own laundry, ect. When applying to college there are tons of people supporting you. If you have a question there is always many people to answer it, and with the growing technology age it is very easy to come into contact with the actual common app company if you have any questions. There is always going to be a stress factor associated with college, and all forms of education because people are always going to try to be the best, but if you just strive to be your best then you do not have to put as much stress on yourself, and you can accept yourself more freely. Thank you for your time and effort, I sincerely appreciate your argument.
xoxo, Ris
P.S. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors in college and beyond. Good luck with that common app!
Posted by swiszczmsc2014 3 years ago
swiszczmsc2014
Although the common app is complicated and stressful, it is MUCH easier for students to apply to college with this program than it ever has been in the past. Therefore, I have to agree with the pro side on this issue.
Posted by Bissonnettemsc2014 3 years ago
Bissonnettemsc2014
I believe the common app is a great idea! I believe that this causes a lot of stress for students that is unnecessary. The amount of problems with the common app needs to be fixed and isn't acceptable. If they fix the problems, make it easier to use and give a step by step checklist I think it will be a success.
Posted by hannamsc2014 3 years ago
hannamsc2014
I would have to agree with the pro side because I think that the common app makes it easier for students to apply to college. Rather than having to deal with all different applications for colleges its all compacted into one online and its easy to fill out.
Posted by bordierimsc2014 3 years ago
bordierimsc2014
I agree with the pro side of this debate. The common app is very easy to use and I think it causes less stress than having paper work involved. Although sometimes the common app has problems within that students cannot control, it definitely aids students in their college process.
Posted by kaplanmsc14 3 years ago
kaplanmsc14
Hello, friends. After carefully reading your debate several times, analyzing it, and taking a break to do numerous Word Voyage lessons, I am back to give my opinion and commentary, which you both so greatly insisted that I do. So, after careful consideration, I have decided that I am, in fact, pro-common app. Do not take this personally, Laur. I think you both argued beautifully, and I couldn't have done it better myself, but I think the common app, although stressful, is more efficient than the "old school" way, as Maris stated. I'll leave it at that, lest I dig my grave any deeper. Thank you for providing me with such an entertaining and enthralling debate.
XOXO GG