emmakeynes
RationalMadman

Does the early 1980s Boy George Set a Good Example?

emmakeynes

Pro

The Culture Club Boy George from the early 1980s sets a good example for younger generations today in terms of accepting "queers". People should look to him as a pathway into complete tolerance. Because he was so famous in the 80s as having a unique style, he is the perfect role model for younger generations to look to.
RationalMadman

Con

If we were to accept everyone, we'd accept rapists too. I'd like to see how you counter this.
emmakeynes

Pro

I wasn't talking about accepting everyone; I specifically mentioned "queers," and not everyone is "queer." And Boy George is not a rapist, so that has no relevance to my point.

Boy George sets a good example, for not just the gay community, but for everyone, for being open and accepting of people as they are. Boy George in the early 80s was an important public figure, and because of the way he dressed, he showed the world who he truly was, and that is a powerful thing to do as a gay popstar, and something everyone should respect and look up to.
RationalMadman

Con

The two ultimately flawed reasons you think that Boy George is a good role model are as follows this. I will quote you mentioning them now:

Reason 1: He wants us to accept/tolerate EVERYONE for WHOEVER THEY ARE no MATTER WHAT!
Quote 1: "People should look to him as a pathway into complete tolerance."
Quote 2: "or being open and accepting of people as they are."

Reason 2: HE is a famous, unique Gay popstar... THEREFORE he is the PERFECT role model.
Quote 1: "Because he was so famous in the 80s as having a unique style, he is the perfect role model"
Quote 2: "Boy George in the early 80s was an important public figure, and because of the way he dressed, he showed the world who he truly was, and that is a powerful thing to do as a gay popstar, and something everyone should respect and look up to."

Let me first attack reason 1. If we accept EVERYONE and are COMPLETELY TOLERANT we will end up accepting pedophiles, rapists, murderers, tortures, thieves and arsonists (you never said he encourages us to only be tolerant of gays but tolerant of ALL people "Accepting people as they are") I just think that definitely we should be ignorant and reject certain people form society altogether. I hate a lot of people and definitely don't want to accept these dirty scum of our society unless they had good reason to do what they did.

Let me now attack reason 2. You think because it was so unusual and difficult to be a gay popstar and because his style was so unique that he is therefore the perfect role model. Sorry but even though Winston Churchill was a fat stereotypical, heterosexual male for his time in both fashion sense and the fact that he smoked cigars I think all else about him and the fact he overcame many issues to get where he was and even thought he was a socially accepted politician I think he is amazing and definitely a better role model than the rebellious Boy George who really didn't do much for any nation nearly as much as Churchill did. Perhaps he is a good role model for a rebel or an idealist but to claim he is "Perfect" or absolutely good is a very large claim and require better proof than your subjective interpretation of his fashion sense and simply the fact he happened to be simultaneously homosexual and a popstar.
emmakeynes

Pro

emmakeynes forfeited this round.